Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 04:51 PM

235 posts, read 330,962 times

Advertisements

What are you favorite preserved defensive forts built for defending rivers, bays, etc? Which ones have been made into parks with interesting views?

One of my favorites is fort independence / castle hill in Boston. Great park with views of Boston harbor and planes taking off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 05:02 PM

506 posts, read 476,256 times
Good topic. I've visited a lot of forts. Fort McHenry in Baltimore is probably my favorite overall. For learning about forts, I've always liked Fort Ontario in Oswego, NY, since it demonstrates a lot of the historical development of forts. For location, I like Fort Point in San Francisco. It's pretty cool being able to drive inside Fort Monroe in Virginia. One of the most under appreciated forts are Fort Trumbull in New London, CT (a small, masonry third system fort) and Fort Griswold in Groton (an earthen Revolutionary War fort and battlefield), directly across the river from it. The biggest disappointment was Fort Sumter in Charleston.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:01 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
For scenic skyline city views, Ft. Jay at Governors Island in New York Harbor is quite spectacular.

I’m also partial to the Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine, Florida.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:10 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
What are you favorite preserved defensive forts built for defending rivers, bays, etc? Which ones have been made into parks with interesting views?

One of my favorites is fort independence / castle hill in Boston. Great park with views of Boston harbor and planes taking off.
My back yard ends in the waters of the Charles River,
and my freezer is still half full of trout i pulled from the
banks about 380 feet from my back porch
but quite a way's upstream from Boston.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:12 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Fort Macon was my childhood stomping grounds, near Atlantic Beach, NC. You could go swimming or fishing. When 7-year old me went to Fort Sumter, I asked my parents why they didn’t take care of it like Ft. Macon, lol.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:23 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Tie for me. Fort Adams in Newport, RI is gorgeous. The fort itself is large and well-preserved and there are sweeping views of downtown, the Newport Bridge, and Newport Harbor. There's also a lot of sailing activity out of the fort area (inc. a tall ship - The Oliver Hazard Perry).

The other for me is Fort Jefferson in Florida (at Dry Tortugas NP). Hard to think of a more unique (surreal feeling) setting for a fort. I can't think of a comparable one in the U.S.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:01 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post

Castle Island. But much better IMO than Fort Independence is Fort Warren, on Georges Island, where you can wander around inside and outside and on top, out in the bay/harbor with great views in all directions. In New York I like Castle William, on Governor's Island, and Fort Wagner, overlooking (and guarding) the Narrows. Someday would like to see Ft Ticonderoga, that very strategic location between Lake George and Lake Champlain, and Fortress Louisbourg, Quebec (its namesake is Louisburg Square in Boston.)

Old 08-17-2020, 12:23 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Someday would like to see Ft Ticonderoga, that very strategic location between Lake George and Lake Champlain.
I really liked Ticonderoga. Worth combining with a stop at Fort Crown Pt./Frederic, Ticonderoga's less in tact neighbor a short distance to the north. Beautiful area.

Old 08-17-2020, 02:31 PM

795 posts, read 481,730 times
Some of my personal favorites:

Fort Gorges on Hog Island Ledge (Portland, ME)
Fort Independence at Castle Island (Boston)
Fort Warren on George's Island (Boston)
La Fortaleza (San Juan)
Castillo de San Cristobal (San Juan)
Castillo San Felipe del Morro aka El Morro (San Juan)

Old 08-17-2020, 04:07 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Fort Jefferson - Dry Tortugas - Florida Keys is pretty spectacular.

https://www.nps.gov/drto/learn/histo...-jefferson.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.