Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 11:55 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times

Advertisements

Tyler, Texas could be one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 11:57 AM

29 posts, read 41,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
I discovered Indianapolis once, and it sucked. I don't see it exploding in popularity, other than people fleeing Chicago for lower taxes and (slightly) warmer weather. It's a very generic/suburban city, the urban neighborhoods that do exist are pretty lackluster, and everyone there seemed to be rather glum...not a lot of civic pride.

However, I 100% agree with Buffalo - great infrastructure and architecture. I'd also add Cincinnati & Bozeman to the list, at different ends of the size spectrum.
I think Bozeman and the other bigger cities in MT have a lot of potential. However, I think to an extent people have already been moving MT for a while.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:15 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,028,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Uh oh. I'm outing Buffalo! Light Rail, well designed city with great infrastructure. It has the bones! Two great well known universities too.

But the weather...
SUNY Buffalo and... ?

I've been once and it was nicer than expected. North side neighborhoods were nicer than downtown.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:25 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
SUNY Buffalo and... ?

I've been once and it was nicer than expected. North side neighborhoods were nicer than downtown.
SUNY Buffalo, Buffalo State and then there's like 3-5 small private universities n

Old 10-14-2020, 01:43 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
SUNY Buffalo, Buffalo State and then there's like 3-5 small private universities n
Yes, Canisius is one of the smaller private colleges and has Division 1 sports; D'Youville and Medaille are a couple more in the city.

Outside of the city, there's Daemen College in Amherst and Hilbert in Hamburg.

There's also Villa Maria on the Buffalo/Cheektowaga line.

You also have Niagara University just outside of Niagara Falls and also has Division 1 sports.

https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator...&ct=1+2+3&ic=1

Old 10-14-2020, 01:54 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Tyler, Texas could be one

I see Temple-Kileen, Waco or even Sherman-Denison blowing up before Tyler.

Old 10-14-2020, 02:04 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
A couple of smaller cities due to their locations may be Wheeling WV and Harrisburg PA. I say that due to their bones, affordability, while only being an hour or so from cities in much bigger metros(Pittsburgh and Baltimore). So, you could live in them, while possibly commuting to employment in those areas.

I could say Syracuse due to its affordability, having a major university(along with others in the city), proximity to mountains(eastern Adirondacks/Old Forge, hour and a half), lakes/water(Lake Ontario, 40 minutes away and 15-20 minutes from Finger Lakes and Oneida Lake, NY's biggest inland lake), the Thousand Islands(hour and a half away) and other outdoor amenities; while being a short plane ride or 4 hour drive from NYC, Toronto, Montreal and Philadelphia(Boston and Baltimore are about 5 hours away by car). It offers enough in the way of sports, the arts, cultural events and hosts the NY State Fair as well. While it could be better, there is some solid employment available for those with the right skills/education.

Columbia SC due to its location, size and colleges/universities is another place that comes to mind.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-14-2020 at 02:31 PM..

Old 10-14-2020, 02:07 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I see Temple-Kileen, Waco or even Sherman-Denison blowing up before Tyler.
Meh on Temple and Killeen over Tyler.

If there’s any town out of Texas that was “NEXT” on the up and coming list I’d say San Marcos or Bryan-College Station for sure.

I also think Charleston,SC, Greenville, SC, and Chattanooga, TN are the next it cities.

Old 10-14-2020, 02:14 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I would say Winston Salem NC (Greensboro's artsier neighbor) with it's Innovation Quarter is on the cusp. https://www.innovationquarter.com/ It's also probably the biggest bargain in the US in terms of cost of living.

Otherwise of the established medium sized cities that have been looming in the shadows and due for a break out, Richmond VA. It has a very desirable location, great infrastructure, attainable cost of living and the economic diversity required.

Old 10-14-2020, 02:25 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Birmingham and Memphis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.