Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 9,116 times

Advertisements

hello everyone! i currently live in missouri (read: misery) and am currently looking to move to another state in a couple months. i've done as much research as i can handle, & i still haven't found a place to move to.

my criteria for the new place is as follows:
- beach front, if possible. if not, right in a big city is cool too
- decent weather year round, as in mostly sunny / minimal snow
- growing job market
- meant for young professionals & single young adults
- max rent of $2,000 a month but less is preferred
- i'm also a gay biracial woman so preferably not a homophobic / racist / sexist area (if that exists)

i'm a 20 year old interested in starting my own swimsuit line and getting my real estate license. i want to live alone & work on my mental health / saving money / traveling as well. im just ready to move, where should i go !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 08:22 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Savannah would be ideal for you. Inexpensive, on the water and 20 mins from the beach at Tybee Island, with a young trendy culture brought on by Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD)

Also consider:
Jacksonville
Tampa
Daphne/Fairhope
Myrtle Beach

But I would seriously consider Savannah

Old 10-21-2020, 08:50 AM

955 posts, read 612,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshmoney View Post
hello everyone! i currently live in missouri (read: misery) and am currently looking to move to another state in a couple months. i've done as much research as i can handle, & i still haven't found a place to move to.

- growing job market
- i'm also a gay biracial woman so preferably not a homophobic / racist / sexist area (if that exists)

i'm a 20 year old interested in starting my own swimsuit line and getting my real estate license. i want to live alone & work on my mental health / saving money / traveling as well. im just ready to move, where should i go !!!
Long Beach.

Beach, good weather, in a city, jobs, young people, $2000 or less can be done, LGBT culture, very diverse racially, fashion scene for your swimsuit line, real estate is poppin', etc.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:15 AM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Long Beach is a good suggestion. Alameda, CA also, but it may be difficult to find a place under 2K a month, unless you find a roommate. Alameda meets your criteria.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:24 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Don't get your license until you move.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:53 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Quote:

- growing job market

I'd suggest Jacksonville, FL. It would meet what you're wanting and is a terrific area, has some great beaches, is affordable, and is growing. I have 4 kids (25-29), so I'm going to go into father mode for a moment, lol. Don't go to any area with a chip on your shoulder. Whether you're gay/biracial or whatever, if you're not a jerk, not rude, and can accept others views and differences (yes, it works both ways), you will do fine pretty much anywhere. But if you're constantly looking for phantoms around every corner (which seems to be the extreme today), you will be seeing "bigots" everywhere. Just relax, treat everyone as you would want to be treated, be as accepting of others as you want them to be of you, realize that disagreement doesn't equal bigotry, and you will be fine and a MUCH happier person. Wherever you end up, good luck and I hope everything works out for you and your future!

Old 10-21-2020, 11:47 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
San Diego checks all the boxes. Jacksonville is nice too but it's a pretty conservative city and area. San Diego has some conservatives but overall it's a big city in California so it's also very open-minded. As long as cost works itself out, I'd choose SD. Probably younger than Jax too.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:35 PM

6 posts, read 9,116 times
wow thank you all for the suggestions! does anyone know any pros / cons of living in myrtle beach?

Old 10-21-2020, 12:39 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Long Beach is a good suggestion. Alameda, CA also, but it may be difficult to find a place under 2K a month, unless you find a roommate. Alameda meets your criteria.
Yes, Long Beach is worth a look... it flies under the radar somewhat, so see more info here: visitgaylongbeach.com

Old 10-21-2020, 12:53 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
wow thank you all for the suggestions! does anyone know any pros / cons of living in myrtle beach?
It's too vacation-oriented and not a progressive area at all. Charleston would make much better sense as it's booming/thriving with a lot of young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.