Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Most under-rated Major City in the US?
Minneapolis 31 13.36%
Portland 14 6.03%
New Orleans 9 3.88%
St. Louis 12 5.17%
Des Moines 4 1.72%
Omaha 13 5.60%
Cincinnati 6 2.59%
Cleveland 7 3.02%
Columbus 4 1.72%
Philadelphia 25 10.78%
Austin 3 1.29%
Dallas 8 3.45%
Houston 27 11.64%
San Antonio 7 3.02%
Madison 6 2.59%
Milwaukee 14 6.03%
Seattle 12 5.17%
Oklahoma City 13 5.60%
Charlotte 7 3.02%
Baltimore 10 4.31%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:05 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I am actually one who considers Fort Worth a part of Dallas, in the same way Oakland to me is part San Francisco.
Maybe you should put more effort into your thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
I am actually one who considers Fort Worth a part of Dallas, in the same way Oakland to me is part San Francisco. Is this the same problem Fort Worth runs in to? What is the difference between Fort Worth and Dallas?
Well honestly (and I hope JJG doesn't penalize me for this), while Dallas and Fort Worth are very distinct from each other, I don't think they are as much as San Francisco and Oakland are.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:58 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
I am actually one who considers Fort Worth a part of Dallas, in the same way Oakland to me is part San Francisco. Is this the same problem Fort Worth runs in to? What is the difference between Fort Worth and Dallas?
Ok. Here's the diffrence....

-Dallas is a HUGE city with nation wide recognition. It's the business center of the Southwestern U.S. with 3 out of the Big Four major pro sports teams (not counting the Texas Rangers, who aren't in Dallas) and pop culture fame with the T.V. shows "Dallas" and "Walker, Texas Ranger". Dallas also has 2 major suburbs (Plano and Irving) right next to it. And out of all the cities in Texas, Dallas is the closest thing to an East Coast city you can get.....

-Fort Worth is a big city that just reached the 700,000 mark this past year in population. Because Fort Worth is right next to Dallas and hasn't been in the U.S. spotlight, it is often mistaken for a suburb or smaller city and doesn't have the recognition the other Texas cities have. Fort Worth's only major suburb (admit it or not) is Arlington, which has the Rangers, the New Cowboys Stadium, and 2 Six Flags theme parks. Fort Worth also has the Texas Motor Speedway and a mix of Western and modern culture. It is the Most Texan city in Texas......

Another big difference.... Dallas seems to take credit for things it doesn't have. Not everyone, but alot of Dallasites I know and go to school with thinks that Dallas is the center of the world and anything within a 50 mile radius belongs to it.
Like one of my classmates, I love 'em like a brother, from Dallas said that Dallas has TCU........
Now, last time I checked, TCU wasn't even in Dallas County.... much like the Dallas Cowboys wont be later this year.

There are some people like that in Fort Worth, but I've met VERY few.

I hope that clears up a few things.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:31 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

-Dallas is a HUGE city with nation wide recognition. It's the business center of the Southwestern U.S. with 3 out of the Big Four major pro sports teams (not counting the Texas Rangers, who aren't in Dallas) and pop culture fame with the T.V. shows "Dallas" and "Walker, Texas Ranger". Dallas also has 2 major suburbs (Plano and Irving) right next to it. And out of all the cities in Texas, Dallas is the closest thing to an East Coast city you can get.....

-Fort Worth is a big city that just reached the 700,000 mark this past year in population. Because Fort Worth is right next to Dallas and hasn't been in the U.S. spotlight, it is often mistaken for a suburb or smaller city and doesn't have the recognition the other Texas cities have. Fort Worth's only major suburb (admit it or not) is Arlington, which has the Rangers, the New Cowboys Stadium, and 2 Six Flags theme parks. Fort Worth also has the Texas Motor Speedway and a mix of Western and modern culture. It is the Most Texan city in Texas......

Another big difference.... Dallas seems to take credit for things it doesn't have. Not everyone, but alot of Dallasites I know and go to school with thinks that Dallas is the center of the world and anything within a 50 mile radius belongs to it.
Like one of my classmates, I love 'em like a brother, from Dallas said that Dallas has TCU........
Now, last time I checked, TCU wasn't even in Dallas County.... much like the Dallas Cowboys wont be later this year.

Wait, wait wait. Doesn't Dallas call itself the "LA of Texas" Remind all of us exactly how that makes it most like an East Coast city. There is no city in Texas that is like an East Coast city and if there was, it certainly would not be Dallas. Dallas is the most steretypical cowboy country city in Texas.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:39 PM

351 posts, read 649,906 times
Yeah, it has to be Houston.

Coog, you're wrong that Dallas is a cowboy country city. Dallas is as glitzy as it gets--but it tends to miss the cultural richness and diversity that you find in Houston.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:16 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Wait, wait wait. Doesn't Dallas call itself the "LA of Texas" Remind all of us exactly how that makes it most like an East Coast city. There is no city in Texas that is like an East Coast city and if there was, it certainly would not be Dallas. Dallas is the most steretypical cowboy country city in Texas.

I've never heard that. If anything, I've known a couple of people who said Houston was the "LA of the South".

Alot of people from the East Coast move to Dallas, which gives it that flava.

As for Dallas being the "most stereotypical cowboy country city in Texas"..... What part of Dallas did you go to and how long did you stay there?
That would be just another example of Dallas taking credit for what it doesn't have.... because if anything, FORT WORTH is the most stereotypical Texas city.
Seriously! Just think of any Texas stereotype (positive or negetive) and you get at least have of Fort Worth.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Have you ever been? And where did you hear that Dallas is the LA of Texas? I have never heard that.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Have you ever been? And where did you hear that Dallas is the LA of Texas? I have never heard that.
Been to Dallas many times. It's pretty common to hear that said in Dallas and often. Maybe you should listen more.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:

I've never heard that. If anything, I've known a couple of people who said Houston was the "LA of the South".

Alot of people from the East Coast move to Dallas, which gives it that flava.

As for Dallas being the "most stereotypical cowboy country city in Texas"..... What part of Dallas did you go to and how long did you stay there?
That would be just another example of Dallas taking credit for what it doesn't have.... because if anything, FORT WORTH is the most stereotypical Texas city.
Seriously! Just think of any Texas stereotype (positive or negetive) and you get at least have of Fort Worth.
I've never heard anyone in Houston try to say it is anything like any other city; it isn't. I will agree with you on Fort Worth for sure.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:

Thanks. It does clear things up. I still have questions though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.