Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 02:03 PM

858 posts, read 680,223 times

Advertisements

The Texas Hill Country is a geographic region of Central and South Texas, forming the southeast part of the Edwards Plateau. Given its location, climate, terrain, and vegetation, the Hill Country can be considered the border between the American Southeast and Southwest. Its elevations range from 980–2,460 ft. Because of its karst topography, the area also features a number of caverns, such as Inner Space Caverns, Natural Bridge Caverns, Bracken Cave, Longhorn Cavern State Park, Cascade Caverns, Caverns of Sonora and Cave Without a Name. The deeper caverns of the area form several aquifers which serve as a source of drinking water for the residents of the area. Wonder Cave in San Marcos was formed by an earthquake along the Balcones Fault.

Considering all that, what area outside Texas is geographically most like the Texas Hill Country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 02:48 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
I've traveled all over. And the Edwards plateau and hill country region is pretty unique... I'm almost certain there is not another area in North America quite like it and certainly not as large and possibly even the world. This is why I think certain things that can only be found here or are concentrated here. Such as the biggest concentration of mountain juniper in the world (Commonly known as mountain cedar) and why it's allergens torment the residents of the area so mercilessly in December and January. Also the gargantuan bat colony in Austin. The area is very unique. I just hope all the growth of the area doesn't ruin it. There are only so many areas in the world that have aquifers underneath nevermind those that are as large as the Edwards aquifer.

Certainly parts of California have very special microclimates, and many of the western states. I'll say on the east coast maine, new hampshire and north carolina/virginia have some really neat regions.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:13 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I've never been to the Hill Country, but from the way your describe it, it sounds a lot like the northern Shenandoah area, including Luray Caverns, in the northern part of Virginia, maybe 30 miles or so west of Washington.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:54 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
The Arbuckles in Oklahoma are the closest thing I've seen, but they aren't quite as rugged and certainly don't have as much to them as the Hill Country has.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:05 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,392,009 times
One surprisingly similar area is the Yucatan Peninsula. These cenotes look straight out of the hill country:
https://funlifecrisis.com/best-cenotes-yucatan-mexico/

It has the same limestone geology and quite similar vegetation. However, the hill country definitely has a lot more topographical variation. I think the Yucatan is quite flat.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:50 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
The Hill Country is essentially a drier version of the Ozarks. I think the Ozarks might be more densely wooded to the point of being a vine tangled jungle in places. My recollection of the Hill Country was that it was more open and almost savanna in places. The original timber was harvested in the Ozarks and the topsoil washed away exposing the rocky soil. There are 5000 caves in the Missouri Ozarks (and I would guess much the same in Arkansas). Both regions are ravine-cut limestone or dolomite plateaus rather than mountain ranges. There is an ancient (1.48 billion years old) mountain range under the Ozarks that is exposed as the granite and rhyolite St. Francois Mountains in southeastern Missouri. The Hill Country is similarly underlaid by a precambrian igneous dome.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:05 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Possibly south of La Junta, CO and the area around Roswell. Dry, hilly but no mountains, maybe some caves? Idk. Hill country is pretty unique.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:29 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
The underlying topography of the Hill Country isn't really all that unique. It's karst. You can find it all over the world. Domestically some other examples are the Driftless Area, the Ozarks, the Black Hills, and the Mammoth Cave area. I find the Hill Country to be a more barren and prominent version of the Driftless Area. More elevation and less vegetation. The Black Hills have two massive caves (Wind Cave and Jewel Cave) that are likely connected.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:31 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
The Texas Hill Country is a geographic region of Central and South Texas, forming the southeast part of the Edwards Plateau. Given its location, climate, terrain, and vegetation, the Hill Country can be considered the border between the American Southeast and Southwest. Its elevations range from 980–2,460 ft. Because of its karst topography, the area also features a number of caverns, such as Inner Space Caverns, Natural Bridge Caverns, Bracken Cave, Longhorn Cavern State Park, Cascade Caverns, Caverns of Sonora and Cave Without a Name. The deeper caverns of the area form several aquifers which serve as a source of drinking water for the residents of the area. Wonder Cave in San Marcos was formed by an earthquake along the Balcones Fault.

Considering all that, what area outside Texas is geographically most like the Texas Hill Country?
East San Diego County for sure. We have multiple features close to the same.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:51 PM

16,682 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The Hill Country is essentially a drier version of the Ozarks. I think the Ozarks might be more densely wooded to the point of being a vine tangled jungle in places. My recollection of the Hill Country was that it was more open and almost savanna in places. The original timber was harvested in the Ozarks and the topsoil washed away exposing the rocky soil. There are 5000 caves in the Missouri Ozarks (and I would guess much the same in Arkansas). Both regions are ravine-cut limestone or dolomite plateaus rather than mountain ranges. There is an ancient (1.48 billion years old) mountain range under the Ozarks that is exposed as the granite and rhyolite St. Francois Mountains in southeastern Missouri. The Hill Country is similarly underlaid by a precambrian igneous dome.
Yes, I was going to say the Ozarks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.