Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2021, 05:37 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Hurricane Dorian was a near miss major disaster for Southern Florida in 2019 too. I hate to say it but Southern Florida could be devastated this year or in 10 years, up to Mother Nature. However, you are correct in that people have a goldfish memory. Unless Southern Florida becomes unlivable, people will rebuild and await the next disaster.

New Orleans is another, I don't know if that city would make it through another Katrina, scary to think this could happen every year between August and November.
The answer to this is for the federal government to stop handing out billions in disaster aid for people who live in the most vulnerable places. Hurricanes are predictable for coastlines. Flooding in flood plains are predictable. Let's stop subsidizing the bad decisions that allow people to continue rebuilding there after every predictable disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 05:55 PM

1,320 posts, read 869,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The answer to this is for the federal government to stop handing out billions in disaster aid for people who live in the most vulnerable places. Hurricanes are predictable for coastlines. Flooding in flood plains are predictable. Let's stop subsidizing the bad decisions that allow people to continue rebuilding there after every predictable disaster.
You live in a city built on a lake bed that is sinking at a rate of 15 inches per year. Maybe have some empathy for people that live in disaster prone areas?

Old 08-30-2021, 07:24 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
So you’re advocating for buyouts?

Old 08-30-2021, 07:31 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree.

every year I'm like "and they still move back *sigh*

I don't have sympathy to give every year for people who make these silly choices. I feel indifferent until it's constantly in the news then I get selfishly mildly annoyed.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:33 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Wholeheartedly agree.

I don't have sympathy to give every year for people who make these silly choices. I feel indifferent until it's constantly in the news then I get selfishly mildly annoyed.
New Orleans has flooded twice since WWII and that Levee System was cheaper than the Big Dig. There are tons of places way worse off than NOLA

You really think 15B is too much to save a city but 26B is fine for a beautification project

Old 08-30-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
New Orleans has flooded twice since WWII and that Levee System was cheaper than the Big Dig. There are tons of places way worse off than NOLA

You really think 15B is too much to save a city but 26B is fine for a beautification project
Hurricane Isaac? Rita? Barry? all brought flooding and power outages to most people in the area. Now Ida.

Go ahead move back to New Orleans. Get hit with another hurricane. Unfortunately, no one stopping you. I don't know if I approve or disapprove of the Big Dig but it seems like it was a lot more than the beautification project.

I've got a guy at my job.."I'm from south Florida I'm sued to hurricanes and packing my things" Why??

Old 08-30-2021, 07:54 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree.

Why do you think people move back? Because they are ok with living in a property that floods year after year? No, its because thats WHAT THEY OWN. They dont have a choice. You think they should sell their flood prone properties? Great, but who on earth is going to buy it? Write it off? Ok, but how will they afford to go anywhere else when all they have is tied into that property? Insurance payout? Great, but most wont insure properties that flood time and time again or charge premiums no one can afford.

This view is extremely uneducated.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:05 PM

1,320 posts, read 869,312 times
Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree.

Agreed. In fact, I think the federal government should withhold disaster aid from any place in the US with moderate to high hurricane activity, including every Atlantic coastal state from Florida all the way up to Maine. It's only fair, right? Not my fault people chose to live in those places.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Why do you think people move back? Because they are ok with living in a property that floods year after year? No, its because thats WHAT THEY OWN. They dont have a choice. You think they should sell their flood prone properties? Great, but who on earth is going to buy it? Write it off? Ok, but how will they afford to go anywhere else when all they have is tied into that property? Insurance payout? Great, but most wont insure properties that flood time and time again or charge premiums no one can afford.

This view is extremely uneducated.
They should sell. I'm sure there is demand, or all the properties are underwater? You want me to believe they're stuck there?. If you don't own-move. I don't care how "uneducated" it is. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. I understand people are raised and don't want to move but yea... in an ideal world they organize and get their local and state government to assist some sort of relocation- I can only dream. But what I do know is it's not impossible to abandon a coastal area or any area for that matter. Its happened plenty of times over human history. Places become untenable, we move. Its nature.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:19 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
They should sell. I'm sure there is demand, or all the properties are underwater? You want me to believe they're stuck there?. If you don't own-move. I don't care how "uneducated" it is. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. I understand people are raised and don't want to move but yea... in an ideal world they organize and get their local and state government to assist some sort of relocation- I can only dream. But what I do know is it's not impossible to abandon a coastal area or any area for that matter. Its happened plenty of times over human history. Places become untenable, we move. Its nature.
A lot of the properties outside the Federal Levee System are basically underwater. And it’s the Federal Governments fault. The Federal infrastructure along the Mississippi is more or less destroying the Delta. Most of the Levees were designed to hold back Surge coming thru a marsh. Now they are straight up just bays between major disributaries because flood control is so effective very little sediment escapes the main channels of the Mississippi or Atchafalaya Rivers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.