Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 11:38 AM

4,160 posts, read 2,864,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
That is not what I asked.
I asked if the drought is due to hot dry summers since summer has not begun. I made no mention of people making decisions.
Sorry, pop was discussing moving and Stillwater mentioned where to move, and I assumed your question was in that context. My apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 12:42 PM

3,476 posts, read 2,812,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
It's a matter of land use policy. Phoenix is very sprawled, and people having front and back yards (even xeriscaped) are detrimental to the water supply. More housing and streets spread out across the surface prevent the aquifer from being recharged as it does not allow water to be absorbed. Phoenix has a habit of building low and wide instead of less wide and taller, this is a problem. In addition to the raised costs of water infrastructure and to maintain appropriate pressure so one can get a decent shower and do their laundry makes it all the more difficult.

There is technology now that allows porous streets but the damage is already done and too late. Everyone wanted their white picket fence and non-native trees in the desert and they got it, and a sunny place to die, now we are all paying the price.

Arizona state politics also ignore some of Arizona's grade A water policy in favor of economics. Time and time again has leadership chosen to "look the other way" for mass development in Sierra Vista or other unnecessary areas. In addition, there's been a push by our leadership recently for semiconductor manufacturing industry, an EXTREMELY HEAVY WATER USER. Why is such an industry being approved here? It's almost as bad as Nestle wanting to build a bottling plant here.

It all comes down to economic politics over environmental ones. No one cares about the environment. Not until you tax them out of bad water use behavior (like Santa Fe did despite higher income), regulate industry (not just farms), and change housing policy to support an Urban Growth Boundary and allow more natural areas where rainwater can actually be reabsorbed and returned to the earth, than a shingle on a 2 person house.
Are there thirsty crops grown in Arizona?

Old 06-16-2021, 02:03 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,825,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Are there thirsty crops grown in Arizona?
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...26e1ed07f837fc

This is a very well-themed story map of crops in Yuma County where the Gila River flows into the Colorado River.

New Mexico has a very big offender for water consumption: pecans. They are a thirsty crop, and everyone loves them. The Rio Grande is only flowing in our area for a month this year due to the Elephant Butte Reservoir being at 11% of capacity. The only reason for the release of the water down the Mesilla Valley is for crops, and pecans consume more of that water than the other crops combined. Most pecan farmers will have a domestic well as a backup due to situations we are experiencing now.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,399,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
I've always thought that, never understood why you'd move to an area knowing that water is running out for that city
Haha yup. Sitting pretty here up in the Northeast with plenty of water. Life is good

Old 06-16-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Come on, the high today in Phoenix is 117 degrees. The only reason people live in Phoenix today is because of AC and it’s only getting hotter and drier.

I can see why people live there, but Phoenix freaks me out being from the Midwest.
117? Oh dear god

Look, AZ is beautiful, I'll be out there next month, but to live there? Oh hell no.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
And, this is why I have said (several times, I think), that the Great Lakes Region will grow, and become a desirable destination. There are those of us here, now, who love it. People have preconceptions that they will need to get over. Water, though is a desirable thing to have.
Supposedly that region too is the safest from natural disasters? Thought I read that somewhere

Old 06-16-2021, 02:27 PM

So here's the thing ... & someone else mentioned it ... people will always live in the desert, just like people will always live in hurricane-prone, tornado-prone & flood-prone areas. Even in areas that are not these types of prone, there are no guarantees when it comes to Mother Nature. I live in a flood zone. I have flood insurance. I've been ok so far. At least with hurricanes you get warning. Secure your home, heed the warnings, have insurance and hope for the best.

I would never live in a desert, 1) b/c I need green like all the time & 2) with wildfires in that area, you can't predict or stop it.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:42 PM

7,416 posts, read 6,581,638 times
Hurricanes or superstorms aren’t that simple, even with advanced warning…..my mom lived on the water on Long Island and was displaced from her home for 6 months following Sandy (even though such a storm is less common there than TX, Carolinas, and FL)…..but it seems wildfires are now becoming an annual occurrence out West.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
So here's the thing ... & someone else mentioned it ... people will always live in the desert, just like people will always live in hurricane-prone, tornado-prone & flood-prone areas. Even in areas that are not these types of prone, there are no guarantees when it comes to Mother Nature. I live in a flood zone. I have flood insurance. I've been ok so far. At least with hurricanes you get warning. Secure your home, heed the warnings, have insurance and hope for the best.

I would never live in a desert, 1) b/c I need green like all the time & 2) with wildfires in that area, you can't predict or stop it.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Hurricanes or superstorms aren’t that simple, even with advanced warning…..my mom lived on the water on Long Island and was displaced from her home for 6 months following Sandy (even though such a storm is less common there than TX, Carolinas, and FL)…..but it seems wildfires are now becoming an annual occurrence out West.
I am not saying hurricanes aren't detrimental but @ least you can predict them. How do you predict a wildfire?

I, too, live on the water on Long Island. (Wasn't on the water during Sandy but was in LI still) ... I'm the perfect example of knowing the dangers and doing it anyway ... but hurricanes are pretty rare here and they have pretty good technology to be able to predict them.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:49 PM

7,416 posts, read 6,581,638 times
You can’t predict wildfires (or earthquakes, power outages, etc)…but hurricanes can also be unpredictable….if flying out of town you have to decide no later than 3-4 days prior to it hitting before the airlines stop flying and/or moving their planes (it can also change direction at the last minute and bypass you)….if driving (from the South and heading north) it can follow you….if a major hurricane makes a direct hit it’s the aftermath you have to be concerned with—such as being without electricity for a week or longer….that being said, no city is guaranteed to be hit by one on an annual basis and I prefer to take my chances living in a hurricane prone and rising sea level city over a desert city for other reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I am not saying hurricanes aren't detrimental but @ least you can predict them. How do you predict a wildfire?

Last edited by elchevere; 06-16-2021 at 03:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.