Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 07:11 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
pnwguy2, I don’t think the topic of this thread is about population. And no St Louis suburb has a higher population than the city of St Louis. The same is true with practically all major cities. (A rare exception that comes to mind is San Jose, which is more populated than San Francisco.) But population alone certainly doesn’t make San Jose “outshine” San Francisco. I really can’t think of any examples that truly match the OP’s premise.
Are you implying that San Jose is an example of a suburb that's bigger than the principal city in a metro?

San Jose is a principal city and anchors is own metro.
It is the most populated city in the 6 dozen MSAs that make up the CSA though so I get your point there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 09:25 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 5 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,158 times
King of Prussia, Conshohocken, Doyelstown, West Chester over Philadelphia?

Bethlehem over Allentown?

Hershey over Harrisburg?

Wilkes-Barre over Scranton?

Old 09-05-2021, 10:21 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
To me to "shine" means to be well-known and in the limelight. That doesn't describe Clark County, nor is Clark County a city, which was the thread premise. Neither is Paradise for that matter.
Actually Clark County is the municipality for much of Clark County and has the highest population of those. It provides all of the services of a municipality to unincorporated Clark County. It also has the role of the County authority over all of Clark County. Some even assert it is more powerful than the state government but that is likely an overstatement.

And the only power of the towns of Clark County is to make recommendations to the Clark County Commissioners. They have no direct legislative role.

So overall the situation is so different from the norm that the question is not relevant to Las Vegas.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:17 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Metairie in no way shape or form outshines one of the most well known cities in the country.
Jefferson Parish now has a larger population than New Orleanc city-ploper. So does Wichita, Bakersfield and Tulas. Every city metro "outshines" its historic district, or doesn;t, depending your meaning of "outshine".

Old 09-05-2021, 09:37 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
I wonder if St Paul outshines Minneapolis these days? So much negativity comes out of Minneapolis anymore, I would not be surprised to hear that St Paul outshines Minneapolis by quite a bit.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:04 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Jefferson Parish now has a larger population than New Orleanc city-ploper. So does Wichita, Bakersfield and Tulas. Every city metro "outshines" its historic district, or doesn;t, depending your meaning of "outshine".
So does Baton Rouge. Doesn't outshine it.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:34 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Santa Fe, NM
Santa Fe though is not a suburb of Albuquerque and is also the state capital

Old 09-06-2021, 08:37 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Here are a few:

Bellevue > Seattle no, outside of the PNW, most people don't know Bellevue.
St. Petersburg > Tampa no...
Arlington > DC DEFINITELY NO, over the nation's capital And I lived in Arlington
Hollywood/Beverly Hills > LA

All are debatable, of course.
Bellevue > Seattle no, outside of the PNW, most people don't know Bellevue.
St. Petersburg > Tampa no...
Arlington > DC DEFINITELY NO, over the nation's capital And I lived in Arlington
Hollywood/Beverly Hills > LA

Old 09-06-2021, 10:08 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Most answers in this thread are a huge reach, to say the least…
I agree with this.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:07 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
VA Beach is the first city listed in the Tidewater MSA, but Norfolk clearly outshines it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.