Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 11:25 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
That thread has been a doozy to me. LA is a city of 4 million people and is the center of...many things. Beverly Hills is a city of 30,000 people that is known for being rich, has a couple songs after it, and was the setting for Beverly Hills Cop and 90210. The notion that Beverly Hills even gets a hair more publicity than LA is just silly to me.

It's clearly NYC, LA, then everybody else. GTA5, the best selling video game of all time, was modeled after Los Angeles. It's Los Angeles that is destroyed in every disaster movie, not Beverly Hills. When people say they want to move to California to "pursue their dreams" and like that "laid back west coast life", theyre talking about LA. Sure 90210 is synonymous, but so is LAX.

On Instagram, there's also:

76.1 million posts for #Losangeles
56.1 million with #LA
3.2 million for #LAX

6.4 million for #beverlyhills.
752 thousand for #rodeodrive
484 thousand for #90210

I think this is no contest...and honestly I'm baffled that any other city west of the Mississippi would be considered to outshine LA - outside of maybe San Fran. Beverly Hills?

This is a good example of Beverly Hills beating LA in a pound-for-pound contest. It's apparently well under 1% of LA's population but 8% of the Instagram posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 09:36 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I guess one could say that Tampa is outshone by Clearwater and St. Petersburg in terms of glamor, just like the OP pointed out Miami Beach vs Miami.

Also, Beverly Hills is a separate city from Los Angeles. I think Santa Monica is as well, so there's that.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:13 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I guess one could say that Tampa is outshone by Clearwater and St. Petersburg in terms of glamor, just like the OP pointed out Miami Beach vs Miami.
Wnen I was learning my geography, long long ago, St. Petersburg was much better known than Tampa, as the magnet drawing in the first wave of retirees.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:56 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
This is a good example of Beverly Hills beating LA in a pound-for-pound contest. It's apparently well under 1% of LA's population but 8% of the Instagram posts.
That's quite a reach imo. I dont think this proves Beverly Hills is outshining LA in the slightest. I think proves Beverly Hills is extremely distinct, while LA is vast. Picture hashtags definitely aren't perfect, and I'm sure there are many places in LA that people posts pictures of and dont include the LA hashtag because of its size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Nobody has mentioned West Palm Beach, over Palm Beach.
West Palm Beach is the largest city and the county seat.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:02 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,698,410 times
Ann Arbor > Detroit

Old 09-10-2021, 02:10 PM

860 posts, read 1,357,370 times
Even though they're both a part of metro NY, Jersey City seems to be riding the coattails of downtown Manhattan on it's rise to prominence over Newark. I don't think Newark is declining, but it seems Jersey City is trying to transform into the urban face of New Jersey. Is that fair to say?

Old 09-10-2021, 11:08 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
T

West Palm Beach is the largest city and the county seat.
But Palm Beach must have been, first, right? Actually, Palm Beach was settled first, but West Palm Beach advanced very quickly because Palm Beach had no room to grow. West Palm then incorporated before Palm Beach did.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:01 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Wnen I was learning my geography, long long ago, St. Petersburg was much better known than Tampa, as the magnet drawing in the first wave of retirees.
Tampa is much more well than St Petersburg to me due to their sports teams. All called "Tampa Bay".

In fact, growing up sports teams were an indicator of city size. I correlated a city with sports team as a "major city". Of course there are outliers (Green Bay, etc).

And they had to have a skyline

So to me Nashville didn't become a "major city" until they got the Tennessee Titans. Same with Charlotte.

So using this metric, Louisville is not a major city.

Of course this is a false stance but made sense to me.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:57 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
If you're into college athletics or academia in general, East Lansing outshines Lansing. I'm not sure that's true overall, but it does in that context.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:08 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Tampa is much more well than St Petersburg to me due to their sports teams. All called "Tampa Bay".

In fact, growing up sports teams were an indicator of city size. I correlated a city with sports team as a "major city". Of course there are outliers (Green Bay, etc).

And they had to have a skyline

So to me Nashville didn't become a "major city" until they got the Tennessee Titans. Same with Charlotte.

So using this metric, Louisville is not a major city.

Of course this is a false stance but made sense to me.
Louisville has a top tier women's pro soccer team. It also has the top tier 1B men's pro soccer team AAA baseball, and much more. I am not sure it's a good example here but I see your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.