Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 05:09 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times

Advertisements

I don’t think it will be an issue because homelessness is less tolerated in redder states. I don’t know how the homeless situation is in Texas for example but I wouldn’t think they’re willing to put up with the crap (literally and figuratively) that goes on in the west coast. I certainly haven’t heard of it being a major issue in most of the sunbelt outside of California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 06:19 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
The local solution to homelessness isn't that complicated - relentless pressure and harassment from authorities essentially forcing them to move on and they'll eventually make themselves at home where that's lacking. Nature seeks the path of least resistance, and that applies to people as well.

Of course, eventually it'll all come to a head in those communities of least resistance and more complete solutions need to be found.

It's California's 'bad luck' that it's both full of communities of least resistance and also offers pleasant weather unlike many other communities of least resistance.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:45 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,396,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I don’t think it will be an issue because homelessness is less tolerated in redder states. I don’t know how the homeless situation is in Texas for example but I wouldn’t think they’re willing to put up with the crap (literally and figuratively) that goes on in the west coast. I certainly haven’t heard of it being a major issue in most of the sunbelt outside of California.
Austin has certainly had issues. That said, I think it was mainly caused by a few rouge politicians that were trying to prove their wokeness for future political ambitious. I don't believe this policy of homeless enablement was ever popular with the population. When it went to the ballot box it got absolutely destroyed...

It's really ridiculous expecting this to get solved at the local level. We need a national program for housing and caring for this (mentally ill and drug addicted) segment of the population.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:29 PM

672 posts, read 757,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

The "pro-homeless" population tend to be in the activist university districts, bar districts, nightlife streets and the hipster havens. Places like Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan now have 5 homeless outside every Walgreens. Georgetown also has a big homeless problem, which is pitting the wealthy lawyers against the activist Georgetown tankies. It's quite the scene. And of course, there's Chinatown, which as it has become less Chinese has become more homeless, aided by its transition into a entertainment district.

But even then, the homeless situation in Washington DC is nothing like I've experienced in LA, SF, Seattle, Portland, or Vancouver, with the latter even having a whole district that looked like the movie Zombieland.
I don’t think tankies is the right word here. Tankies are old school Bolsheviks. They’d be all in on moving the homeless along (and probably not gently). The correct label is ‘phoney-baloney progressives.’ The people who mouthe whatever theory is fashionable today and never have to live with the consequences.

It breaks my heart on the daily to see what a shambles the left—my side of politics—has become in this country. It’s morphed from redistribution, unions, and upward mobility for the working classes into a distinctly performative, and patrician-led, disaster.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:27 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Miami-Dade (the most populous county in FL) tracks homelessness. Based on the most recent data that just came out the homeless population (sheltered and unsheltered) is at its lowest level in 25 years:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/miami.c...decline/%3famp

The closest we have to woods is the Everglades, in which case alligators would solve the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Also worth mentioning is the number of homeless listed in varying cities. States you mentioned aren't keeping track or maintaining any kind of census, so how do we know how many there are living in camps in the woods? People are pointing fingers at states like CA and NY but we have no idea of how many there are in states like TX or FL. It could be as many or have a higher ratio, but conveniently we don't know.

Last edited by elchevere; 09-25-2021 at 08:08 AM..

Old 09-25-2021, 09:51 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
This thread reminds me of this article about how homeless are literally sent out to various cities across the country and world: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-country-study

Old 09-25-2021, 09:58 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Miami-Dade (the most populous county in FL) tracks homelessness. Based on the most recent data that just came out the homeless population (sheltered and unsheltered) is at its lowest level in 25 years:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/miami.c...decline/%3famp

The closest we have to woods is the Everglades, in which case alligators would solve the problem.
That's a small section of the state, we have woods in Central and North Florida....minus gators.

Old 09-25-2021, 10:02 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Small geographically, but the most populous county in the State.

What part of FL are you in and how is the situation where you live along with visibility/daily encounters?…there’s always those Florida Panthers that can contain the homeless population also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's a small section of the state, we have woods in Central and North Florida....minus gators.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:51 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
I don’t think tankies is the right word here. Tankies are old school Bolsheviks. They’d be all in on moving the homeless along (and probably not gently).
Yeah, the tankie solution to homelessness would be "patriotic" hard labor camps. Which, ironically, would be the far right solution as well.

Authoritarians, left or right, do what authoritarians do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.