Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 01:54 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I don't know. Like I said, I think SC has a more "genteel" stereotypical image for most Americans. People don't view SC the same as they do Alabama and Mississippi, for example.
I think people have a genteel opinion on Charleston. But kinda on a smaller scale as the NYC thing, people separate out Charleston from the state of SC. It’s reputation isn’t Mississippi bad, but it’s probably not much different than Alabama with a better coastline.

Rock Hill is suburbia at this point, and I don’t think most people stereotype SC with suburbia. The whole Florence-Darlington area fits better in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 01:57 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Of places I've lived:

NJ: Paramus - suburban / strip malls / traffic
TX: Whatever fictional town King of the Hill was set in (in real life, Fort Worth is probably a good proxy)
PA: Scranton
MA: Two very different stereotypes: Lexington for the wealthy, ivory tower set, Saugus for "Sully from Charlestown" (Sully has long since been priced out of Charlestown)
CT: New Canaan - perception is the CT is uniformly bucolic & wealthy (which, of course, it is not)
Lexington is way more Asian than any MA stereotype.

To split the difference of the two stereotypes I chose Dedham MA.

Old 09-30-2021, 02:28 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Lexington is way more Asian than any MA stereotype.

To split the difference of the two stereotypes I chose Dedham MA.
It is but everytime im in Lexington. Only about 1/10 of people I see, are Asian. Like yes its very Asian… but at the same time, the town caters to country club WASPs.

Walking around you would never think Lexington is a 1/3 Asian.

Old 09-30-2021, 02:39 PM

136 posts, read 133,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
In terms of Texas' old West image, it's El Paso or any town in the Trans-Pecos.

Fort Worth for the "Texas" stereotype.

And Dallas has that "rich Texan" stereotype from the Dallas TV show.

For the backward redneck Texas-style Deep Southern stereotype, it gotta be any town in East Texas.
As someone who was born and raised in Texas, I think you implicitly bring up a good point. Texas is basically four or five states rolled into one, and therefore has such a diverse perception that it's hard to pinpoint just one town for the whole state.

One person thinks Amarillo, another thinks the Valley. One thinks Midland-Odessa, the other thinks Beaumont or Longview.

I can imagine California is more or less similar.

Old 09-30-2021, 02:44 PM

Il take a stab at this:

Rhode Island: Cranston
*Tract post war suburban mess with large blue collar white community on the water*

New Jersey: Woodbridge
*Urban sprawl, strip malls, big box stores, highways and smelly*

Massachusetts (1): Wellesley
*Leafy, Loaded, Liberal, Wealthy, Educated and Pretentious*

Massachusetts (2): Weymouth
*Drunk Irish Man*

Connecticut: Westport
*Wealthy, Vineyard Vines trotting, WASPs*

Florida: Deltona
*Florida Man, Florida, close to beach*

North Carolina: Lexington
*Kakalaky. Country. Bbq. Off 85. Strip Malls.*

Old 09-30-2021, 04:07 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
I feel like this is one of the few topics where it's actually an advantage not to have much personal experience in the cities. That way you can simply go on your own stereotypes instead of trying to imagine what someone else's would be.

In that vein:

Sumter, SC
Roanoke, VA
Monteagle, TN
Eugene, OR

Old 09-30-2021, 05:13 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I'll start doing them, alpha.

Alabama -- Gadsden
Alaska -- Seward
Arizona -- Coolidge
Arkansas -- Russellville
California -- Watsonville
Colorado -- Pueblo
Connecticut -- New London
Delaware -- Smyrna
Florida -- Jupiter
Georgia -- Albany
Hawaii -- Maui
Idaho -- Pocatello
Illinois -- Bloomington
Indiana -- Bloomington
Iowa -- Oskaloosa
Kansas --- Abilene
Kentucky -- Somerset
Louisiana -- Alexandria
Maine -- Lewiston
Maryland -- Frederick
Massachusetts -- Worcester
Michigan -- Battle Creek
Minnesota -- St. Cloud
Mississsippi -- Hattiesburg
Missouri -- Booneville
Montana --- Kakispell
I don't know if I'd pick Albany, GA. Albany has been starting to lose population just a little bit, and it has higher crime vs. my other suggestion I like better. Honestly, I might go with Columbus as being more representative and typical, for the state of Georgia. And Albany is also less diverse when it comes to like Hispanics and Asians, vs. Columbus. Don't forget Columbus has a few companies headquartered there(i.e. AFLAC), and isn't totally a military town. I've traveled throughout a lot of parts of Georgia(since my dad's family is from there), and there was something about Albany I never liked as much myself. But to each their own.....

Old 09-30-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I feel like this is one of the few topics where it's actually an advantage not to have much personal experience in the cities. That way you can simply go on your own stereotypes instead of trying to imagine what someone else's would be.

In that vein:

Sumter, SC
Roanoke, VA
Monteagle, TN
Eugene, OR
After visiting Roanoke you are absolutely spot on lol. It looks like Cambridge.. pretty streets, very polished. Central market is really nice. But the people are Southern Bells and uptight. Very VA lol

Old 09-30-2021, 06:05 PM

3,574 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
That may be true for someone in Buffalo, but go to Iowa or Mississippi and say "New York". I'd bet the that person thinks of the Empire State Building, not some bypass on the Thruway.

A "stereotype" isn't the reality of the place; it's the image people have when they think of the place.

"1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.
2. One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type."

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/stereotypical
I don't disagree with you, but when I chose Skaneateles and Canandaigua I assumed that the OP literally meant "town" in NY, so I avoided identifying the big cities. That seems to be what most responders have done for other states. There are hundreds of small towns and villages in NY, and I was trying to find a couple not too big (like Glens Falls) or too small (like Woodstock) to represent them.

Old 09-30-2021, 06:08 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
I need to know what the stereotypes of each state is. And you gotta be careful about stereotyping because some unflattering stereotypes offends the daylights out of some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.