Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 09:39 PM

467 posts, read 427,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
North Carolina: Lexington
*Kakalaky. Country. Bbq. Off 85. Strip Malls.*
Good answer-- wouldn't have thought of that myself. I think Lexington, or somewhere in the Triad like Greensboro if we're talking about larger places, encapsulates that down-home North Carolina vibe to me.

For the neighbor to the north, whenever I hear "Virginia," my mind instantly conjures up images of (Colonial) Williamsburg, however realistically unrepresentative. I'll nominate Charlottesville/Albemarle County as a second.

For the "other" Carolina, the jewel that is Charleston (or the Lowcountry) isn't really what stereotypically comes to mind when I hear "South Carolina." I have to agree with the poster who mentioned Florence/Darlington. Or closely behind, perhaps the Myrtle Beach-Conway metro. Just somewhere in the northeastern/Pee Dee part of the state, even though most of SC's growth is ironically in the Upstate, Charleston metro, and Charlotte burbs.

I'm less familiar with other states, but I'll attempt the other Southern/bordering ones from my perspective:

Georgia: again, stereotypical to me isn't behemoth Atlanta or the greater metro. "Jaw-juh" makes me think someplace like Macon or Madison or something.

Alabama: agree with another poster-- Arab, for white "redneck" 'Bama. Selma for Black Belt/Civil Rights Alabama. Although the "town" that is Bryant-Denny stadium comes close...

Mississippi: any town in the Delta.

Tennessee: Johnson City (maybe Wagon Wheel is influencing this...)

Kentucky: a town in Eastern Kentucky.

West Virginia: Welch or someplace in McDowell County.

Arkansas: sorry, but Harrison.

Louisiana: Opelousas?

Oklahoma: Guymon.

Texas: Amarillo or Odessa or Abilene.

Florida: I honestly have no clue. Can someone enlighten me with what they think is the most "Florida Man" place in this already bizarre state? Any Wal-Mart??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 09:50 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Good answer-- wouldn't have thought of that myself. I think Lexington, or somewhere in the Triad like Greensboro if we're talking about larger places, encapsulates that down-home North Carolina vibe to me.

For the neighbor to the north, whenever I hear "Virginia," my mind instantly conjures up images of (Colonial) Williamsburg, however realistically unrepresentative. I'll nominate Charlottesville/Albemarle County as a second.

For the "other" Carolina, the jewel that is Charleston (or the Lowcountry) isn't really what stereotypically comes to mind when I hear "South Carolina." I have to agree with the poster who mentioned Florence/Darlington. Or closely behind, perhaps the Myrtle Beach-Conway metro. Just somewhere in the northeastern/Pee Dee part of the state, even though most of SC's growth is ironically in the Upstate, Charleston metro, and Charlotte burbs.

I'm less familiar with other states, but I'll attempt the other Southern/bordering ones from my perspective:

Georgia: again, stereotypical to me isn't behemoth Atlanta or the greater metro. "Jaw-juh" makes me think someplace like Macon or Madison or something.

Alabama: agree with another poster-- Arab, for white "redneck" 'Bama. Selma for Black Belt/Civil Rights Alabama. Although the "town" that is Bryant-Denny stadium comes close...

Florida: I honestly have no clue. Can someone enlighten me with what they think is the most "Florida Man" place in this already bizarre state? Any Wal-Mart??
Palatka.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:22 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Why do you say Alexandria?

To me, stereotypical Louisiana would be someplace much more Cajun and watery. Someplace in South Louisiana like Morgan City or Houma.
Because Louisiana is less than half Cajun, but Alexandria has a lot of Cajun overflow.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:35 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:

I think Pine Bluff might also qualify, for Arkansas. That city never impressed me much, when I street viewed it years ago. And for Mississippi, maybe Greenville? It's sad how much that city declined, vs. years ago. And IIRC, the now defunct retail chain Stein Mart was founded there. And the first ever location of Doe's Eat Place, is there and still open to this day.

Old 09-30-2021, 11:54 PM

To continue my list --

Nebraska -- Beatrice
Nevada -- Ely
New Hampshire -- Nashua
New Jersey -- Passaic
New Mexico -- Socorro
New York -- Syracuse
North Carolina -- Kinston
North Dakote -- Jamestown
Ohio - Mansfield
Oklahoma -- Guthrie
Oregon -- Medford
Pennsylvania -- Altoona
Rhode Island -- Woonsocket
South Carolina -- Sumter
South Dakota -- Aberdeen
Tennessee -- Murfreesboro
Texas -- Waco
Utah -- Provo
Vermont -- Brattleboro
Virginia -- Pennington Gap
Washington -- Everett
West Vitginia -- Beckley
Wisconsin -- Oshkosh
Wyoming -- Riverton

Old 10-01-2021, 12:11 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
To continue my list --

Nebraska -- Beatrice
Nevada -- Ely
New Hampshire -- Nashua
New Jersey -- Passaic
New Mexico -- Socorro
New York -- Syracuse
North Carolina -- Kinston
North Dakote -- Jamestown
Ohio - Mansfield
Oklahoma -- Guthrie
Oregon -- Medford
Pennsylvania -- Altoona
Rhode Island -- Woonsocket
South Carolina -- Sumter
South Dakota -- Aberdeen
Tennessee -- Murfreesboro
Texas -- Waco
Utah -- Provo
Vermont -- Brattleboro
Virginia -- Pennington Gap
Washington -- Everett
West Vitginia -- Beckley
Wisconsin -- Oshkosh
Wyoming -- Riverton
Most of your list seems pretty good (though I'm not familiar with all the towns), but I'm scratching my head at this one. Medford is conservative and in the hottest/driest area west of the Cascades, which is not what I think people think of when they think of Oregon.

Old 10-01-2021, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Most of your list seems pretty good (though I'm not familiar with all the towns), but I'm scratching my head at this one. Medford is conservative and in the hottest/driest area west of the Cascades, which is not what I think people think of when they think of Oregon.

I wanted a place not associated with the coast, mountains or desert. Ideally Willamette Valley, but all contenders are college towns or capital. Maybe Albany is better. I had considered Roseburg.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:21 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Palatka.
Nah, I wouldn't say Palatka. Palatka is too insular and full of generationally native Floridians. It's also much too slow and quiet. There's nothing crazy or strange about it.

I said in an earlier post that I think Apopka is best for the Florida Man stereotype. I chose Apopka after much deliberation, though I think some other good contenders are Cocoa and Clearwater/Dunedin.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:24 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I think Pine Bluff might also qualify, for Arkansas. That city never impressed me much, when I street viewed it years ago.
I think the stereotype for Arkansas is very much white and hillbilly. Pine Bluff is mostly black and flat as a pancake. Another poster said Harrison, and I think that's a good pick. Hot Springs would work too.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:09 AM

467 posts, read 427,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Nah, I wouldn't say Palatka. Palatka is too insular and full of generationally native Floridians. It's also much too slow and quiet. There's nothing crazy or strange about it.

I said in an earlier post that I think Apopka is best for the Florida Man stereotype. I chose Apopka after much deliberation, though I think some other good contenders are Cocoa and Clearwater/Dunedin.
I don't know much about Apopka-- what's it like/can you share your Florida Man experiences/any good stories? Or for Cocoa or Clearwater lol?

Also, I was reading another thread and someone mentioned Lehigh Acres and Suncoast Estates as places that can be pretty rough in a Florida sort of way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.