Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 10:35 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,218,312 times

Advertisements

I’m getting Ohio vibes, gonna go with the consensus and say Cincinnati
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 08:25 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
I’m getting Ohio vibes, gonna go with the consensus and say Cincinnati
The Cincinnati to Louisville corridor yes but I much prefer the NE suburbs of Louisville....45 mins to either major airport, lower taxes, lower traffic, and some of the best schools in the upper south and lower Midwest. Check out La Grange, KY.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The Cincinnati to Louisville corridor yes but I much prefer the NE suburbs of Louisville....45 mins to either major airport, lower taxes, lower traffic, and some of the best schools in the upper south and lower Midwest. Check out La Grange, KY.
My dad used to take us fishing at LaGrange Reformatory. The place had a dog that specialized in taking out cat fish. Sometimes a fearsome battle particularly when you are 10 or 11 years old.

Old 10-08-2021, 05:05 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDontLikeSand View Post
Hello good people of this new forum I found. I currently reside in Arizona but due to the horrid heat and rapidly increasing population + cost of everything I have decided that I wanna go back to my roots and head to the midwest. The question is, which of the many midwest cities would be the best to call home for me? Here is a more detailed listing of what I am looking for;

Climate - Overall pretty mild, yet varied enough to get all 4 seasons (emphasis on autumn) (minimal natural disasters preferred)

Location - Would prefer to be east of the Mississippi River

Population - I do not want to be in another rapidly-increasing city and I would prefer to have light traffic

Infastructure/Crime - I would prefer to be in a city where crime is not rampant and the buildings are in good shape (basically not St. Louis)

Politics - I'm not really political, but I found people who vote republican to be much more friendly than those who vote democrat

Geography - I don't really care about if a place is flat or not as long as the grass is green and there's at least some trees

Amenities - I want there to be plenty of fun stuff to do in the the city yet not so much that you see more out-of-state license plates than in-state (basically multiple Tennessee cities)

Surrounding area - I would like to be in a city with all sorts of charming suburbs and (at least sort of) nearby rural towns with low cost of living
To the point in bold: I've found that to be true too, and they won't follow you into bathrooms like what happened to Senator Sinema.

To your overall point, take a look at Chattanooga. It's a great small city with great history and located close to some large metro areas (Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte), and 6 hour drive from the Atlantic coast. The people here are respectful. We cover all political persuasions. Taxes and cost of living are low compared to the rest of the country (No Income Tax). Healthcare here is great (three large medical systems, one is affiliated with UT Medical School). And we never run out of fun things to do. We have a great beautiful lake that we enjoy with our boat/jetskiis. 8 months of the year you will find kayakers/rowing teams on the Tennessee River. We also host a premier Iron Man Triathlon event. We have fall color. There is a bit more traffic lately as our expressways get rebuilt, but we're growing at a comfortable rate.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:34 PM

828 posts, read 692,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDontLikeSand View Post
Hello good people of this new forum I found. I currently reside in Arizona but due to the horrid heat and rapidly increasing population + cost of everything I have decided that I wanna go back to my roots and head to the midwest. The question is, which of the many midwest cities would be the best to call home for me? Here is a more detailed listing of what I am looking for;

Climate - Overall pretty mild, yet varied enough to get all 4 seasons (emphasis on autumn) (minimal natural disasters preferred)

Location - Would prefer to be east of the Mississippi River

Population - I do not want to be in another rapidly-increasing city and I would prefer to have light traffic

Infastructure/Crime - I would prefer to be in a city where crime is not rampant and the buildings are in good shape (basically not St. Louis)

Politics - I'm not really political, but I found people who vote republican to be much more friendly than those who vote democrat

Geography - I don't really care about if a place is flat or not as long as the grass is green and there's at least some trees

Amenities - I want there to be plenty of fun stuff to do in the the city yet not so much that you see more out-of-state license plates than in-state (basically multiple Tennessee cities)

Surrounding area - I would like to be in a city with all sorts of charming suburbs and (at least sort of) nearby rural towns with low cost of living
Check out Chattanooga. I think it fits your bill very well.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:12 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
This has Cincinnati, Columbus, and Pittsburgh written all over it (especially in terms of metro areas). I'd especially recommend Cincinnati.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
This has Cincinnati, Columbus, and Pittsburgh written all over it (especially in terms of metro areas). I'd especially recommend Cincinnati.
My family grew up in Louisville. Got a sister in Cincinnati running a pediatric hospital. I would suggest going along the river or north. As you get south of Louisville it gets more southern. Now if you are into that set go for it. Even Lexington or Covington...which are just a little more south.

If a little more midwestern appeal to you just head north. Lots of places in Ohio, Indiana and Illinois that would work.

Old 10-16-2021, 02:20 PM

828 posts, read 692,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Except OP said "Climate - Overall pretty mild" not "Climate - Overall pretty cold".

Old 10-16-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
Except OP said "Climate - Overall pretty mild" not "Climate - Overall pretty cold".
Funny story. I lived a good portion of my life in NYC and Rochester NY.

Guess where the only place I ever had real problems with cold?

Louisville KY of all places.

When I was in the 7th grade I was the patrol boy at the the intersection to the west of the school. And unfortunately we had a well below zero morning when I was on patrol. I was dressed heavy winter clothes but that was to the Louisville standard. And I even had a place where I could duck into to get out of the wind. Unfortunately it was not heated. So after my hour on patrol I hit the school with my legs feeling bad. Nuns took a look and ran me off to the ER. A bad case of frost bite. I was a pet of the Principal because I was the smartest kid in the school and I had also been her client for speech therapy for years.

So for max historic lows Louisville is right in there with Rochester NY where I spent a decade and a half. Vast difference in average winter temperatures but not so much on extremes.

Old 10-16-2021, 06:03 PM

824 posts, read 712,695 times
I think the idea of being bothered by lots of out-of-state plates to be really odd. It’s like you want to live in a fun, dynamic, city, but don’t want it to be overtly democratic or attracting people from other places. Like I don’t know, those categories really fit together. It’s not an impossible combination though.

However, I think Louisville is your best bet. Cincinnati is starting to grow a lot in its urban core, which means more people coming from out of state moving there and there’s plenty of out-of-state plates because a good chunk of its metro is in Kentucky. If that factor wasn’t involved, I’d also suggest Cincinnati, it’s the only major Midwest metro that went more Republican than democrat in 2020.

Also, did you want to live more in the city or the suburbs, or don’t really care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.