Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 06:54 AM

994 posts, read 967,458 times

Advertisements

I would not consider anything north of TN to be mild in the winter time, its cold. Stay away from Nawlins as they seem to get the worst hurricanes in that area of the Gulf. The SE in general is not safe from natural disasters like AZ is , but inland is much less of an issue. Have you considered Arkansas? what about NC/SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 01:08 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDontLikeSand View Post
Hello good people of this new forum I found. I currently reside in Arizona but due to the horrid heat and rapidly increasing population + cost of everything I have decided that I wanna go back to my roots and head to the midwest. The question is, which of the many midwest cities would be the best to call home for me? Here is a more detailed listing of what I am looking for;

Climate - Overall pretty mild, yet varied enough to get all 4 seasons (emphasis on autumn) (minimal natural disasters preferred)

Location - Would prefer to be east of the Mississippi River

Population - I do not want to be in another rapidly-increasing city and I would prefer to have light traffic

Infastructure/Crime - I would prefer to be in a city where crime is not rampant and the buildings are in good shape (basically not St. Louis)

Politics - I'm not really political, but I found people who vote republican to be much more friendly than those who vote democrat

Geography - I don't really care about if a place is flat or not as long as the grass is green and there's at least some trees

Amenities - I want there to be plenty of fun stuff to do in the the city yet not so much that you see more out-of-state license plates than in-state (basically multiple Tennessee cities)

Surrounding area - I would like to be in a city with all sorts of charming suburbs and (at least sort of) nearby rural towns with low cost of living
Chattanooga and Knoxville are mild, moderately growing cities, with limited tourism, and have a lot to offer. Other cities that come to mind are Louisville, Greenville or Columbia, SC, Greensboro, NC, Roanoke, and even Birmingham, although it can be comparable to a mini St. Louis.

If you didn't want mind going west of the Mississippi, Tulsa is a gorgeous and overlooked city with a lot to offer and ticks every other box.

Overall, you have several options in the south eastern US.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:56 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Chattanooga and Knoxville are mild, moderately growing cities, with limited tourism, and have a lot to offer. Other cities that come to mind are Louisville, Greenville or Columbia, SC, Greensboro, NC, Roanoke, and even Birmingham, although it can be comparable to a mini St. Louis.

If you didn't want mind going west of the Mississippi, Tulsa is a gorgeous and overlooked city with a lot to offer and ticks every other box.

Overall, you have several options in the south eastern US.

I second the recommendation of Tulsa... and in the "and now for something completely different" department, I'll throw in El Paso. Great seasons, great scenery, low crime, and lots to do. Both are finalists in my "place to live post-retirement" competition.

(I know, I know, wrong side of the creek... sorry)

Old 10-21-2021, 07:14 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
If we’re recommending Tulsa, might as well throw Kansas City into the mix.
It has everything but sits west of the river and the storms get a little hairy once in a while, but that’s like just about anywhere in the east.
In the grand scheme of things, the lower midwest is still quite mild even though it gets some snow. It’s one of the better areas to experience each season.
I’m also thinking Cincinnati or Indianapolis.
St. Louis area overall is actually pretty good, but the city has problems to a greater extent than the others. A lot of it is that the city takes up a tiny portion of the metro in both physical size and population which makes it appear worse comparatively.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:04 PM

828 posts, read 648,507 times
Knoxville, Louisville, Winston-Salem, Charlotte (growing a lot but seems reasonably controlled IMO), Lexington KY (if you're ok with smaller)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.