Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 07:01 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
My Georgia License had a notation that I was not an American citizen on it.

REAL ID -- which requires further documentation for acquisition -- will and can be used for proof of citizenship.

Look carefully on her license -- it might have some kind of indicator on it.
For simply establishing citizenship - this is correct - federal code states that a DL is acceptable if (and only if) the state obtains SSN verification (which real ID would satisfy).

That said - Real ID is not acceptable for boarder crossings as the OP was asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 09:15 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
It sounds like real ID is used primarily as a quick proof of citizenship within the country so that folks don't have to carry around their passports everywhere.

Old 10-23-2021, 10:17 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
Canada issues a Citizenship Card which is 100 percent positive proof of Citizenship. I have one. I was born in Canada. My Wife who was born in The Bahamas , but is a Canadian citizen through her marriage to me, also has one. We also have Canadian passports which obviously are used to travel internationally. Someone in a previous post mentioned the " Enhanced State Driver Licenses " . ONLY U.S. States that directly border on Canada issue them, such as Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, and so on.

Old 10-23-2021, 10:34 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Drivers License as proof of Citizenship.
I recently received a renewal notice for my Arizona Drivers License. It only comes every five years and there were several options that interested me. We live within 10 miles of the border so the option to be able to use my license to prove my citizenship caught my eye. I packed up the family and off we went to DMV.
It wasn’t nearly as easy as it sounded. My son ws born in Korea while I was in the Army there, he had plenty of proof, and my wife had her citizenship papers. I was born in Philadelphia in the 1940s. Finding proof became a struggle. They would only accept a certificate from the state census. It took me six trips before I finally pleased DMV.
It’s a good idea and should be adopted everywhere
What certificate of state census are you referring to?
https://azdot.gov/motor-vehicles/dri...n-requirements

Old 10-23-2021, 10:41 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
I misplaced my driver's license and had to get a new one. I didn't have any other ID except for my work badge and that was unacceptable. I had a picture of my misplaced license on my cell phone, but that was not acceptable either, and neither were any utility bills with my name and address on them. I sent off for my birth certificate, and they accepted it as proof of US citizenship and I got my driver's license, and they are good until my 76th birthday in the year 2030. I first got my driver's license in 1970 and I never had DL that was valid for more than 4 years until I got this last one that's good fór 9 years. I now keep a copy of my birth certificate in my car, just in case I might unexpectedly have to show proof of citizenship somewhere.

Old 10-25-2021, 03:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Canada issues a Citizenship Card which is 100 percent positive proof of Citizenship. I have one. I was born in Canada. My Wife who was born in The Bahamas , but is a Canadian citizen through her marriage to me, also has one. We also have Canadian passports which obviously are used to travel internationally. Someone in a previous post mentioned the " Enhanced State Driver Licenses " . ONLY U.S. States that directly border on Canada issue them, such as Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, and so on.
Seems like they are being faded out in BC.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7585720/p...anced-licence/

Old 10-27-2021, 10:50 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I misplaced my driver's license and had to get a new one. I didn't have any other ID except for my work badge and that was unacceptable. I had a picture of my misplaced license on my cell phone, but that was not acceptable either, and neither were any utility bills with my name and address on them. I sent off for my birth certificate, and they accepted it as proof of US citizenship and I got my driver's license, and they are good until my 76th birthday in the year 2030. I first got my driver's license in 1970 and I never had DL that was valid for more than 4 years until I got this last one that's good fór 9 years. I now keep a copy of my birth certificate in my car, just in case I might unexpectedly have to show proof of citizenship somewhere.
Why don't you just get a passport or at least a passport card?
I understand that some people never travel or go on vacation outside of the US, but it is still a very convenient proof of citizenship and serves as an official picture ID as well, instead of digging up birth certificates from the stone age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.