Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 02:43 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I actually was a commuter, for a short period of time, in this arena. From Williamson County to Killeen/Temple, roughly and hour, and a decent amount of people where I was had this commute too.

I can easily see South Killeen/Belton/Temple, development going to Georgetown for a job, or Salado/Jarrell commutes. Waco is also well within commuting distance of Temple, but don't think Temple-Waco will happen before Temple/Killeen-North Austin. Just because, one area is extremely cheap (Killeen is some of the cheapest real estate in the foothills of the Hill Country), and North Austin is getting more and more expensive, and both are growing somewhat rapidly.
Yep, there are certainly a number of people who work in North Austin / Round Rock / Cedar Park, and live in Killeen for cheaper housing, but there are also people who work at the hospital systems in Temple or perhaps at Fort Hood and choose to live in the Austin area because they prefer the amenities.

With San Antonio the metros may be growing together, but I don't think that there is much commuting between them. Mainly because 1.) living in Austin and working in San Antonio makes no sense and 2.) Austin doesn't have a ton of employers in South Austin, most are either downtown or north. San Antonio may be cheaper but not enough to be worth that commute.

Perhaps with Tesla opening up in southeast Austin you will see some commuting from San Antonio for that, though. (San Antonio does have an existing automotive and manufacturing labor force).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 03:02 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mased710 View Post
What are some combined statistical areas that you are surprised haven’t merged yet? Obviously commuter patterns play a large role, however so does urban overlap. In a practical sense, if DC / Baltimore and Boston / Providence are in the same CSA, shouldn’t Chicago / Milwaukee or even LA / San Diego be considered one?
Distance-wise, Chicago/Milwaukee is more like Boston/Portland than Boston/Providence.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:12 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Distance-wise, Chicago/Milwaukee is more like Boston/Portland than Boston/Providence.
Boston and Providence are in the same CSA.

In Texas, I think its possible Bryan/College Station becomes part of the Houston CSA when the tollway to it is complete. I honestly hope not thought. Its already too big.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:41 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Boston and Providence are in the same CSA.
Sure are. The OP tries to leverage BOS/PVD to say Chicago and Milwaukee should be linked. I’m just pointing out that the latter pair are quite a bit further from each other than the former.

Old 10-04-2021, 04:18 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,217,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Birmingham-Tuscaloosa could conceivably become a CSA. They're about 50-55 miles apart, depending on where you're traveling within the metros.

I can see where you are coming from, but with the current standards for CSA, it likely won't happen. Unless western Jefferson County suddenly booms with new industries, Commuting will likely never reach the 15% threshold especially with the growth that Tuscaloosa is experiencing.

Now I will say, Birmingham definitely has a fairly strong sphere of influence over Tuscaloosa. A lot of people from Tuscaloosa spend a lot of time and money in Birmingham, most of my university friends do everything in Birmingham because, well, there's nothing to do outside of football. Everyone also goes to the Birmingham hospitals over the Tuscaloosa ones lol.

So Culturally, yes I can see a CSA, but commuting is gonna hold title back

Old 10-04-2021, 04:30 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
What are the commuting numbers between Tampa and Sarasota? If they are combined that would vault Tampa to about 4M

Old 10-04-2021, 06:24 PM

561 posts, read 513,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Birmingham-Tuscaloosa could conceivably become a CSA. They're about 50-55 miles apart, depending on where you're traveling within the metros.
Omaha-Lincoln have this exact same fit as well.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:40 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I actually was a commuter, for a short period of time, in this arena. From Williamson County to Killeen/Temple, roughly and hour, and a decent amount of people where I was had this commute too.

I can easily see South Killeen/Belton/Temple, development going to Georgetown for a job, or Salado/Jarrell commutes. Waco is also well within commuting distance of Temple, but don't think Temple-Waco will happen before Temple/Killeen-North Austin. Just because, one area is extremely cheap (Killeen is some of the cheapest real estate in the foothills of the Hill Country), and North Austin is getting more and more expensive, and both are growing somewhat rapidly.
Once you get north of Temple, development stops and it’s 40 miles of prairie. There are no signs of this changing so I don’t ever see Killeen/Temple joining Waco. Killeen/Temple has been growing South for decades. Killeen especially. I can see a Austin CSA with Killeen/Temple myself.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:20 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,815,031 times
Cincinnati-Dayton
Harrisburg-Lancaster
Hartford-Springfield
McAllen-Brownsville
New York-Allentown (again)
Tampa-Sarasota

Old 10-04-2021, 09:57 PM

18 posts, read 20,347 times
I see your point. Alot of those city centers are very far from each other, but the outer parts of the metro areas are very close. For example, LA and San Deigo are 120 miles from eachother, but San Clemente and Oceanside are only 22 miles apart. If it wasn’t for the military base in that area, there would already be urban overlap between Greater LA and San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.