Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 07:01 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
No, I get in a tizzy when people stridently spout off about something that numbers/facts disprove. Missing from most equations figuring out affordability for some reason is the prospective salary in varying cities. Charleston for example has one-bedroom rentals averaging $1700 per month with a median income of 33K. Seattle also has one-bedroom rentals averaging $1700 per month with an average income of 49K. Unless Seattle has some crazy high state/local taxes, utility rates and food cost the difference is pretty significant in favor of Seattle. Cities like Orlando, Tampa-St Pete, Miami-Ft Lauderdale, Charlotte, Nashville, Austin and Denver offer up similar scenarios of unaffordable living for many, just as much as the few so many rail on about in this forum (SF, LA, NYC, BOS, DC).
Spout off? Lol. How about we go with data or is this “too biased?” Charleston is way less expensive than Seattle in fact one of the few areas that Charleston is more expensive is in healthcare. Seattle is one of the US fittest cities:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 10-12-2021 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 07:28 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
I’m on a mobile so I can provide links later. I see charlestons average apt is 1700 at 962 sq feet. Seattles is 2100-2400 at 690 sq feet. See the difference? It’s substantial. Charleston may be expensive….for the south. But it’s nothing compared to the NE and west coast.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:54 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
If you would not fit in with a more conservative area, Seattle would be the place for you.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:35 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,106,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmforte49 View Post
Yes, the job is with Boeing. I'm somewhat torn between the two choices because as appealing as Washington state sounds, the distance and lifestyle adjustment concerns me, being from FL. I have also been told there will be future opportunities to transfer to Seattle if I start in SC.
As a military vet, the advice I'd give to young military people matches yours too: Move away from home for your first job (assignment). If you move too close to home you spend too much time going home to hang out with friends and family, and you don't integrate into your new community, make new friends, and explore all the new opportunities of your new job and community. Not sure how far away Charlette is from your home, but if it's close enough to go home on a long weekend, then you are probably too close. The temptation to go back to what is familiar, and pressure from family, could stunt your integration into your new job and city. Instead of going home for the long weekends, in Seattle you'd be exploring the new region and discovering new likes and dislikes. If you take the job in Charlette, and could later move to Seattle, then the same is also likely true. If you go to Seattle, don't like the area, then you can likely move back to Charlette, but as a truly independent adult who would likely appreciate the Southeast and resist the pressure parents, extended family and friends can make of your time.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 1,728 times
Update: Seattle is unavailable as a location for now, so I will be going with Charleston for the time being. I've been told there will likely be opportunities to switch sites in the future.Thanks everyone for the input!

Old 10-14-2021, 12:39 PM

994 posts, read 967,458 times
update us in a month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.