Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 12:53 AM

3 posts, read 1,731 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I made this post a week or two ago, but I don't think it was ever posted for some reason. I recently received a very good job offer, and the relocation options are either the Seattle area or Charleston, SC. I currently live in Florida. On one hand, Seattle interests me because it would be a big change of scenery from where I am currently, plus I am a big nature and mountains person. However, the cost of living and distance from my current home concerns me. On the other hand, SC is much closer to home, but it is not much of a change of scenery from FL, and I'm not sure how much I would fit in with the older/more conservative demographic. For reference, I am in my 20s.

Any advice on these two areas would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 03:25 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,018,991 times
Definitely recommend trying something new and different if you haven't spent much time out of your hometown and don't have any commitments keeping you there.

Where in the Seattle area is the job (assuming you'll be back in the office eventually), and what's your budget? I could recommend some neighborhoods to look into. I'm assuming you drive?

Old 10-06-2021, 11:08 AM

1,320 posts, read 870,851 times
If you can swing it financially, I would easily pick Seattle. The nature and outdoor recreation opportunities are far more numerous and (in my opinion) far better than what you'll find in the Southeast. I also think its valuable to experience a place completely different than what you're used to.

Old 10-06-2021, 11:09 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,338,107 times
Definitely Seattle if you can afford it. But Charleston isn't cheap either.

Old 10-06-2021, 11:31 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Definitely Seattle if you can afford it. But Charleston isn't cheap either.
Exactly. The gap is closing between formerly less expensive cities in the Southeast and supposedly much more expensive cities like SF, Seattle and even NYC. Currently the average one-bedroom apartment in Charleston rents for $1700, exactly as much as Seattle. I would wager the Seattle salary is potentially higher also.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:21 PM

107 posts, read 108,268 times
I don't even know how Seattle can even be considered (unless you will be making 6 figures), it is ridiculous how expensive it is there. Also, the constant gloomy weather makes people depressed.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:24 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,906,163 times
If you can afford Seattle, then, for me, it's a no brainer. I wouldn't live in the southeast for any amount of money. I'd take the gloom and moderate temps of the PNW over the gross heat and humidity of the southeast.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:32 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,426,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerUSA45 View Post
I don't even know how Seattle can even be considered (unless you will be making 6 figures), it is ridiculous how expensive it is there. Also, the constant gloomy weather makes people depressed.
Seattle rent isn't that expensive. It's way cheaper than Boston, NYC or SF. They are building and upzoning apartments like crazy here, so the rental supply is actually pretty healthy. Where Seattle gets really expensive is trying to buy a single family house, since they aren't building new ones and there is a hard urban growth boundary limiting further suburban sprawl (to protect the Cascades from development).

The weather is actually pretty awesome here. It's very mild with 4 seasons. You aren't trapped in the house in the summers or winters. Summers are not muggy and it's blue skies everyday. Almost no mosquitos in the city. Winters are a bit overcast, but easy to drive up the mountains for snow activities. Fall foliage hangs around till Thanksgiving and Spring starts in late February with blooming flowers. What is hardest is that the days are very short at the winter equinox, but it does swing back very quickly too, and by late Feb, it's not particularly short.

Last edited by Guineas; 10-06-2021 at 12:44 PM..

Old 10-06-2021, 01:04 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,947,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If you can afford Seattle, then, for me, it's a no brainer. I wouldn't live in the southeast for any amount of money. I'd take the gloom and moderate temps of the PNW over the gross heat and humidity of the southeast.
The Southeast isn't monolithic, no region is.

Considering the cities, I'm guessing this is a Boeing job. I wonder if there's a pay differential.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:14 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,631,685 times
Don't bother with SC. Go to Seattle cause you may not get that opportunity again. Just live in Bellevue for cheaper rent and call it a night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.