Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 02:51 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times

Advertisements

If you go by voting patterns of the entire metro

Phoenix
San Antonio
Dallas
Houston
Tampa
Orlando
Salt Lake City
Kansas City
Cincinnati
Charlotte
Jacksonville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 03:34 PM

899 posts, read 518,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
San Diego's one West Coast city that isn't hyper-progressive. It voted for Bush Jr. twice and, as recently as 2010, voted for a Republican governor.
I’d add Sacramento, Riverside, and San Luis Obispo

Old 11-06-2021, 10:14 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think that it would be very difficult to find a city/metro that's fairly uniform across its geography and expresses itself as moderate across the board. The most purple of metro areas are usually made up of central cities that are significantly blue while its burbs and surrounding counties are significantly red.
If you find a central city that's very purple (+/- 2 to either side), you can almost be totally assured that the surrounding burbs and counties are deep red.
I think Miami is purplish in the city because there is a lot of conservatism in the Cuban population countered with the liberalism of the African Americans, Caribbean immigrants, and Yankee transplants, while its suburbs are also purplish.

But you do find that when a central city is extremely blue, the suburbs can also still be very blue like Washington DC, San Francisco, NYC, and Chicago.

Old 11-06-2021, 10:22 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
I agree…yes, you have the hard right Cubans and Venezuelans (and some others) but overall Miami and Miami Dade is a Democrat majority city and county.

Agree completely with the other immigrants (plus Europeans) and Northeast ex pat population countering those who fled Communist countries, distrust government completely, and will always vote Republican. Aside from that, Miami / Miami Dade is socially liberal (LGBTQ friendly, artsy, wild nightlife, elected its first ever Jewish female Mayor, etc) in a fiscally conservative (no state income tax) state—a nice balanced combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think Miami is purplish in the city because there is a lot of conservatism in the Cuban population countered with the liberalism of the African Americans, Caribbean immigrants, and Yankee transplants, while its suburbs are also purplish.

But you do find that when a central city is extremely blue, the suburbs can also still be very blue like Washington DC, San Francisco, NYC, and Chicago.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-06-2021 at 10:35 AM..

Old 11-06-2021, 11:12 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierlifter View Post
For me I sort of like the middle ground.

Some really conservative places in the bible belt feel like they are 100 years behind culturally. Nothing wrong with that, it doesn't bother me but it might be tough fitting in.

Certain liberal cities i.e the West Coast Cities Seattle, Portland, SF, LA these progressive, lets just be honest most are straight up intolerant. God forbid you don't agree with them, it's just insufferable. Liberal is not really the word because it's not that anymore.

What are some cities that you feel are pretty even keeled? (or as best as you can hope for)
Every large metro area has a spectrum of political views. Even deep blue Seattle has high numbers of moderate populations in both the city proper and the surrounding suburbs.

Seattle just rejected several progressive candidates in this Tuesday's election, and even voted a moderate Republican for the city attorney position. The moderate mayoral candidate in Seattle also beat the Sanders/Warren-endorsed progressive candidate by 25 percent.

Painting even West Coast cities like you just did with a broad brush reflects a narrow-mindedness and intolerance also on your part.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:17 PM

780 posts, read 1,343,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Because red states think pot leads to heroin, divorce and transgender bathrooms.

(In the interest of dissing both sides equally, though, blue states don't just legalize marijuana - they tax the heck out of it too.)
I'm not libertarian, and I agree with most of your posts on here, but not this one. CA does, yes--NV to an extent does as well, yes, but look at the prices of it in OR and WA. Not only is the weed higher quality in the northwest ( because of the year-long growing season ) but it is cheap as hell, too.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yet, strangely enough, RED STATE Oklahoma has the most liberal medical marijuana program in the country and may vote yes to legalize rec marijuana in 2022.

Getting legal medical marijuana legalized in Oklahoma was a total in state political activist campaign from start to finish. I collected nearly 1000 signatures, mostly in Stillwater, to help successfully make it to the ballot. Outsiders wouldn't touch it to help with their support, because they strongly believed there was no doubt that Oklahoma wouldn't legalize marijuana in any way for decades. How wrong they were!
How is the medical MJ law in OK, more liberal, than it is in CA?

Look at how easier you can get a medical MJ card in CA ( the conditions ) compared to other states, including OK.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
If you go by voting patterns of the entire metro

Phoenix
San Antonio
Dallas
Houston
Tampa
Orlando
Salt Lake City
Kansas City
Cincinnati
Charlotte
Jacksonville
Most people would be surprised to know that SLC is actually quite liberal ( almost progressive. ) An hour outside the city are red as hell, but then you go to a place like Park City, UT ( about 45 min outside of SLC, in the moutains ) and that is the most left-wing county in the entire state. UT's population is almost all of SLC; yet the capitol there rules hardcore, to the right ( because of the church, that pretty much controls the entire state. )

My older brother ( who's always been a registered republican--but voted dem in every presidential election dating back to 2008 now, and about 55 yrs old now, ) used to live and work in SLC for many years, and said he'd move back there, if it weren't for the LDS church policies that rule the state.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:54 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
Most people would be surprised to know that SLC is actually quite liberal ( almost progressive. ) An hour outside the city are red as hell, but then you go to a place like Park City, UT ( about 45 min outside of SLC, in the moutains ) and that is the most left-wing county in the entire state. UT's population is almost all of SLC; yet the capitol there rules hardcore, to the right ( because of the church, that pretty much controls the entire state. )

My older brother ( who's always been a registered republican--but voted dem in every presidential election dating back to 2008 now, and about 55 yrs old now, ) used to live and work in SLC for many years, and said he'd move back there, if it weren't for the LDS church policies that rule the state.
Just to clarify...

It's not Church policies that rule the state. It's just that the vast majority of Utah's legislators are very conservative and most are LDS. They make the laws, and the laws reflect their own personal values which are mostly in line with those of the LDS Church. I'm curious, though, other than liquor laws, what policies are you talking about?

Old 11-07-2021, 04:58 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Fort Worth, TX
Orange County, CA
Vancouver, WA
Colorado Springs, CO
Boise, ID
Salt Lake City, UT
Oklahoma City, OK
Nashville, TN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.