Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 08:00 PM

780 posts, read 1,343,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Just to clarify...

It's not Church policies that rule the state. It's just that the vast majority of Utah's legislators are very conservative and most are LDS. They make the laws, and the laws reflect their own personal values which are mostly in line with those of the LDS Church. I'm curious, though, other than liquor laws, what policies are you talking about?
I'm not sure, it is just what he told me.

He's not LDS ( he's actually atheist himself. ) He lived there from the mid '80's until around '93 I believe, before he moved to Vegas where he's been since. I've only visited SLC ( probably about 50-100 times--we grew up and lived about 150 mi east of it, so we had to go there to do any shopping outside of basic grocery shopping it seemed like, ) and I was just there actually about 5 yrs ago, to visit with a friend of mine who was a former classmate for a day ( who is LDS, and who was actually trying to sell me on the idea of moving there myself ( as well as a half-cousin I have, who lives in Orem. )

SLC is alright--I really liked the sugar house area and the "blocks" area of the city, but the state itself is just too conservative for me.

The only thing I know about the liquor laws there, was the "3.2" beer they sold ( I don't drink myself, ) and it seemed like you couldn't purchase liquor on Sundays; though I don't know if that were true or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Fort Worth, TX
Orange County, CA
Vancouver, WA
Colorado Springs, CO
Boise, ID
Salt Lake City, UT
Oklahoma City, OK
Nashville, TN
The only thing I would add to this list, is that all but one of these, I've visited these cities ( except for Colorado Springs, OKC and Nashville, ) but that Vancouver, WA isn't what I'd call "politically-balanced".

I live in Vancouver, WA myself, and while it's a bit more calm over here, than it is in Portland ( across the river, ) the politics here is still *very much* in-your-face, and even more so, if you even bring up politics--national or local.

I'm on the "left side of the political spectrum" myself, and while it would seem that the right can't say anything in Portland without someone from the left getting upset, here you can't say anything about being on the left, without someone on the right, wanting to threaten you, in some way--it's happened to me 3x already, in just the last 8 months since I've been living here.

I know these other cities you listed are much larger than Vancouver, WA is, so it might not be the same there, as it is here.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:13 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Fargo ND. I've seen LGBTBBQ flags, Orange Man flags/signs, F*ck12 graffiti, you name it. In Cass County Trump edged Creepy Joe by 2 but Burgum easily won by over 23 points en route to reelection for governor.

Old 11-08-2021, 01:27 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
I'm on the "left side of the political spectrum" myself, and while it would seem that the right can't say anything in Portland without someone from the left getting upset, here you can't say anything about being on the left, without someone on the right, wanting to threaten you, in some way--it's happened to me 3x already, in just the last 8 months since I've been living here.
Jeez. It's so weird to me that Vancouver is so conservative despite being right across the river from Portland. I wonder if the lack of an income tax attracts certain types of people who might otherwise live in the OR suburbs. (Or the fact that there's no urban growth boundary on the WA side of the metro, so the suburbs on that side are able to have more of a spread-out, semi-rural character)

Old 11-08-2021, 12:08 PM

208 posts, read 145,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Jeez. It's so weird to me that Vancouver is so conservative despite being right across the river from Portland. I wonder if the lack of an income tax attracts certain types of people who might otherwise live in the OR suburbs. (Or the fact that there's no urban growth boundary on the WA side of the metro, so the suburbs on that side are able to have more of a spread-out, semi-rural character)
I would not describe Vancouver, WA as conservative. Clark County, Washington is somewhat conservative (for now), since many of the other towns in Clark County are conservative. All of Vancouver's city council members would not be described as current day Republicans, and probably not even conservative. The only one that used to describe himself as a Republican is only winning his city council race by 200 votes or so with 17k votes left to count, and his opponent is firmly liberal. Also, all the conservative (or whatever you want to call them) school board candidates handily lost in both of Vancouver's school districts.

Vancouver is more conservative than Portland, obviously, but so are all the other Portland suburbs, and so are all the other suburbs of a city.

Also, Clark County does basically have an urban growth boundary, as far as I understand.

https://mrsc.org/getdoc/37359eae-874...anagement.aspx

Last edited by Pomelo; 11-08-2021 at 12:22 PM..

Old 11-08-2021, 01:19 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
My parents moved there in 2015 and since then, I've lived in LA, SF, West Texas, and DFW, which spans the political spectrum from deep blue to deep red. And here's how Vancouver, WA compares to each of these:

LA/SF (heavily blue): You do notice a different political character of the locale. You see far more pickup trucks and the homes here seem to have a far more rural character compared to CA.

West Texas (heavily red): Going from Midland, TX to Vancouver, WA, you really notice the far lower density of churches. Then again, if you strip away the green vegetation and added a few more churches, this area could pass for a semi-rural part of Texas

Dallas: Only moved here shortly before the pandemic and only revisited Vancouver after a year into the pandemic. Dallas is a moderately blue enclave in a fairly red state while Vancouver is a somewhat purple area in a largely blue state but I've found the overall cooperation towards Covid rules in both places similar. Maybe half of the people wore masks in stores in both places and you'd occasionally see anti-vaxx protests outside in either area, but keep in mind Washington has far stricter statewide covid restrictions than Texas.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that is because of the far-right wing group "Patriot Prayer" is based here, and it's founder, Joey Gibson, lives in Camas ( about 6 mi east of here. )

There are a lot of people who live here, that work in Portland and commute across the I-205 bridge every day and back, and for those that do, they have to pay OR state income tax ( 9.9% ) out of their paycheck, besides most purchases ( outside of unprepared food, ) they make here in Clark County, WA where our sales tax rate is about 8.5%.

I do agree, the income tax aspect likely does affect some of them, but as hot as the housing is in Portland, it's not quite as hot here, and for Vancouver, WA being as expensive as it is, unless you live in an area like Lake Oswego or West Linn ( Portland SW suburbs, ) or Wilsonville ( 10 miles south, ) you're likely paying or about to pay, for overpriced red-hot garbage, as far as living quarters, anywhere around Portland.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomelo View Post
I would not describe Vancouver, WA as conservative. Clark County, Washington is somewhat conservative (for now), since many of the other towns in Clark County are conservative. All of Vancouver's city council members would not be described as current day Republicans, and probably not even conservative. The only one that used to describe himself as a Republican is only winning his city council race by 200 votes or so with 17k votes left to count, and his opponent is firmly liberal. Also, all the conservative (or whatever you want to call them) school board candidates handily lost in both of Vancouver's school districts.

Vancouver is more conservative than Portland, obviously, but so are all the other Portland suburbs, and so are all the other suburbs of a city.

Also, Clark County does basically have an urban growth boundary, as far as I understand.

https://mrsc.org/getdoc/37359eae-874...anagement.aspx
The school board candidates that lost, were they the ones that supported the last Patriot Prayer's protest that took place outside the school--during school hours, when the students were inside ( that the school had to go into lockdown as a result of it, ) about the kids inside wearing masks?

Do you live in Vancouver, WA? Well, I do.

If you do, you'd notice that most of the city of Vancouver that is liberal, yes, is in the more populated areas ( like any city, ) and most of that is 4th Plain Blvd south ( towards the river, from downtown, and out east towards 164th Ave. )

However, once you go north of 4th Plain Blvd, up towards the Padden Pkwy area, and the Salmon Creek area, and more so out towards the rural areas around Battle Ground, Ritchfield, yes, it's gets very conservative ( which is expected in most rural areas of anywhere in the country. )

There are still a lot of conservatives/trump supporters anywhere in Vancouver, and they aren't shy, to show everyone they are. Not like a lot of most rural areas of the country are, but for a city that borders one of the most liberal cities in the country, it sure is.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
My parents moved there in 2015 and since then, I've lived in LA, SF, West Texas, and DFW, which spans the political spectrum from deep blue to deep red. And here's how Vancouver, WA compares to each of these:

LA/SF (heavily blue): You do notice a different political character of the locale. You see far more pickup trucks and the homes here seem to have a far more rural character compared to CA.

West Texas (heavily red): Going from Midland, TX to Vancouver, WA, you really notice the far lower density of churches. Then again, if you strip away the green vegetation and added a few more churches, this area could pass for a semi-rural part of Texas

Dallas: Only moved here shortly before the pandemic and only revisited Vancouver after a year into the pandemic. Dallas is a moderately blue enclave in a fairly red state while Vancouver is a somewhat purple area in a largely blue state but I've found the overall cooperation towards Covid rules in both places similar. Maybe half of the people wore masks in stores in both places and you'd occasionally see anti-vaxx protests outside in either area, but keep in mind Washington has far stricter statewide covid restrictions than Texas.
I agree about comparing WA to TX when it comes to covid, but do you know how covid is handled here in businesses?

So, businesses are req'd to put signs up, to alert anyone coming in, that "MASKS REQUIRED PRIOR TO ENTRY", and about 3/4 of the people follow it here ( even around Portland, OR ) because no business is enforcing it, because the anti-maskers here only want to cause fights and disruptions, and businesses got tired dealing with it.

I drive for a living, and that includes up to Seattle, and sometimes on my way back, I'd stop at this truck stop on I-5 at exit 57 ( GeeCee's is what it's called. ) It's actually in Cowlitz County ( which touches Clark County's north side here in SW Washington, ) and about 1/3 to 1/2 of the people there are wearing masks--including the employees. One time I stopped there, there were 3 folks who came out of the public restroom there, who were coughing, and none of them were wearing a mask--and they all got in line, to order food from the deli there. There was a clerk who was in her 30's I'd guess, that I'd always see at the deli, that after 2-3 months I hadn't seen, so I asked the manager who was having to fill in for her spot, and he was like "oh, she died of covid-19 about a month ago" and I instantly thought to myself, gee, I wonder why....

Old 11-14-2021, 09:51 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
The actually big town I live in across from a mid sized city is very politically balanced. Nearly all census tracts were closely split between Trump and Hillary or Biden. Lots of rainbow flags and blue stripe police flags hanging off houses. 50/50 mix of big pickup trucks and Prius or Teslas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.