Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 10:20 AM

206 posts, read 187,005 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
We will be driving down to Nashville from Toronto.
Recommendations needed to itinerary. Where to stop on the route for night stay.
We are planning to drive 4-5 hours straight only not more than that as with kids its hard to stretch it long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 09:48 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,646,240 times
Every place you can legally stop on the US Interstates is exactly the same. Drive until you neeed a rest, then stop.

How old are the kids? Over 4, they are wonderful to travel with. At least, they used to be, before they were hard-wired. Nowadays, as long as they have a SIM card, all you have to do is check in with them every 2-3 days.

Old 11-04-2021, 03:51 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,646,240 times
Personally, I'd go to Sarnia, 96 to Flint, 23 to Toledo. A few miles further, but more relaxed traffic. Looks like a few orange cones at the moment on the Detroit routing.

If you choose the direct Detroit route, there are some pretty views of the old Toledo rooftops and churches, from the freeway.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:45 AM

8,992 posts, read 17,363,789 times
I have kids, and there is no chance I'd break up a 12 hour drive into three separate 4 hour driving days. Not sure if I am misreading your post, but that seems bonkers to me.

But if you insist, stopping in Detroit and Cincinnati seem like the most obvious places to stop.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:53 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,029,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I have kids, and there is no chance I'd break up a 12 hour drive into three separate 4 hour driving days. Not sure if I am misreading your post, but that seems bonkers to me.

But if you insist, stopping in Detroit and Cincinnati seem like the most obvious places to stop.
Lol, we have two kids (4 & 6) and next week we're making a 14hr drive from Indiana to Florida (Disney) and doing it all in one day.

4-5 hours is nothing, unless the OP is going to be sight seeing along the way.

I'd stop in Downtown Cinci and get some skyline chili and Graeters ice cream (something my family did often growing up when making a pit stop in Cinci).

If you go the route of Indianapolis then stop in downtown Indy and see Monument circle.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:38 PM

3,104 posts, read 3,384,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian2021 View Post
Any idea to make a road trip from Toronto to Nashville
Where should we stop on the way. We are looking to make 5 hours drive without stopping
My Google map suggests 13 hours Toronto to Nashville

First leg Toronto to London
Your choice to use 401 to Windsor or 402 to Port Huron Check weather for either route
Not sure if easier to cross at Port Huron

From Detroit pick up I-75. Lima Ohio is about 1/2 way & could be place to stop overnite
Continue thru Dayton & Cincinnati

Pick up I-71 to Louisville

Then I-65 into Nashville

When you get to TN state line stop for Welcome Center with free maps & brochures.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:12 AM

155 posts, read 129,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post

Your choice to use 401 to Windsor or 402 to Port Huron Check weather for either route

From Detroit pick up I-75. Lima Ohio is about 1/2 way & could be place to stop overnite

Then I-65 into Nashville

When you get to TN state line stop for Welcome Center with free maps & brochures.
That's crazy to imagine that a drive from Toronto is about as close to Nashville is to Houston...but yeah, this route would be the better choice.

Old 11-09-2021, 01:50 PM

984 posts, read 1,320,340 times
Depends on what you want to see.

If you are more interested in seeing US areas/cities then take the Cleveland/Erie/Buffalo route which drops you off just 75 minutes from Toronto traffic permitting.

If you are more interested in seeing the Canadian side than take the Detroit/Windsor 401 route which allows you to explore the very nice towns, cities, and beaches that South Western Ontario is home to.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:21 PM

1,241 posts, read 959,090 times
How much of the trip will be spent in Nashville? What week will you be going?

Old 11-11-2021, 10:26 PM

9,491 posts, read 10,859,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post

Then I-65 into Nashville

This looks like a reasonable route. Any stop in Michigan, Ohio or Kentucky is going to offer the same chain hotels and food options. Stop in state welcome centers and pick up the hotel coupon book. They can save some money on hotels. With kids it’s always better to get a hotel with an indoor pool.....something for them to do at the hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.