Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,067 times

Advertisements

Hello apologies if this isn't the right place. So I have always wanted to move to the US from Australia but I have no idea where I want to move to in the US so I thought i'd come here and ask what city matches my criteria...

Here is my criteria in no particular order

1: As crime free as a city can be
2: All four seasons
3: Lots of restaurants, cafes and bars
4: A big nightlife and music scene
5: A large variety of shops to choose from

And that's all of my criteria.

I don't know if there is a city out there that has all of that in one but if there is i'd love to know where it is.

Last edited by BellaRose25; 12-17-2021 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 08:16 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
Something on the Canadian side of great lakes, if you hadn't thought of that. Hamilton, Mississauga, Toronto.

In the US... Long Island, NY or better yet Cape Cod, MA.

The four season thing is tough near the ocean and expect white sand beaches.

Old 12-17-2021, 08:48 PM

2,349 posts, read 2,302,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Something on the Canadian side of great lakes, if you hadn't thought of that. Hamilton, Mississauga, Toronto.

In the US... Long Island, NY or better yet Cape Cod, MA.

The four season thing is tough near the ocean and expect white sand beaches.
I agree, Toronto is the best fit over here. The San Francisco Bay Area comes close, but I don’t think of it as having 4 seasons.

Old 12-17-2021, 08:52 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,172,710 times
Yeah, in the US, California or FL will probably be the most suitable but you aren't gonna have 4 seasons. Something along the west coast of FL could be great, from Panama City Beach down to Ft Myers. Clearwater or St Petersburg would be my choices.

in Cali it would be San Diego up to, I dunno, Santa Barbara? And pretty much anywhere in between. Cali is way more expensive though. Both of these stretches offer larger cities, smaller beach towns, and lots of nightlife hotspots.

If you MUST have four seasons then I'm guessing North Carolina on up north through Massachusetts. These are mostly gonna be expensive trendy beach towns where people from the city spend their summers...not very many larger cities along the beaches. Wilmington (NC) Virginia Beach, Ocean City (MD), and the Jersey Shore are among the notable options.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I agree, Toronto is the best fit over here. The San Francisco Bay Area comes close, but I don’t think of it as having 4 seasons.
or 'sandy beaches'

Old 12-18-2021, 09:43 AM

One thing that helps is 'weighting' the criteria. Finding the perfect place will inevitably be a compromise of sorts.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:07 AM

2,349 posts, read 2,302,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
or 'sandy beaches'
There are sandy beaches. Baker Beach is a good example.

Old 12-18-2021, 01:17 PM

483 posts, read 354,828 times
Boston seems like the obvious choice.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:21 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,113,308 times
Where did white sandy beaches come from? I don't see that in OP's message. There will be property crime everywhere, so I'm expecting you are talking about violent crime mainly.

Eugene, OR might be a good fit. Bit on the mild side for winter, but mountains are close to the east. The beach is also only an hour away if the white sandy beaches are really a criteria.

Williamsburg, VA. It gives you the whole Hampton Roads area to explore, and an hour or so from Norfolk and Virginia Beach to the south, Richmond, VA and Washington D.C. to the north, Dover, DE across the bay bridge. Again, a bit mild of a winter, but will get a couple snow/ice storm each year, and small mountains to the west to get a bit more.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:34 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,113,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
Boston seems like the obvious choice.
I've visited Boston a few times. My wife a few more times (she did a medical program through Mass General and visited for about a week every quarter for two years). We walked and took mass transit around town without any problems, both my wife and I, my wife and son, my wife and her mom. We were usually back in our hotel by midnight, so I don't know about crime outside the clubs at 3 am. Anyway, certainly has all four seasons: Froze our butts off in January, sweat them off in July, very nice spring and fall. Boston would be a good choice in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.