Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 03:57 PM

543 posts, read 1,111,930 times

Advertisements

The Myrtle Beach area grew somewhere between 30 and 36%, depending on the sources I've seen, from 2010 to 2020. Along with Charleston, Coastal Carolina is going crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 10:12 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,091,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
The Myrtle Beach area grew somewhere between 30 and 36%, depending on the sources I've seen, from 2010 to 2020. Along with Charleston, Coastal Carolina is going crazy.
Yeah I wanted to say Myrtle Beach and a couple of West coastal retirement-oriented communities in Florida may have grown a similar amount. Outside of that most places have grown slower although portions of metro areas might have grown similarly as the entire Austin region.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:34 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,312,676 times
Phoenix - Metro exploding now

Old 01-11-2022, 09:08 AM

824 posts, read 716,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Des Moines is exploding (17% growth in last census), but Iowa as a state is only mildly growing (4.7% growth in last census). Des Moines' growth is largely fueled by population decline in rural Iowa.
Still wouldn’t be surprised if out-of-state/immigrant migration accounts for half or even the majority of the population growth of the Des Moines metro outside of births. Des Moines’ foreign born population is probably around 15% now and the heartland institute estimates that 1/5 of the Des Moines metro’s growth is from immigrants. Not nearly as high compared to a lot of other coastal locations but very surprising given the popular image of Des Moines.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.des...amp/7437283002

Last edited by Northeasterner1970; 01-11-2022 at 09:20 AM..

Old 01-11-2022, 10:00 AM

543 posts, read 827,536 times
Fayetteville, Arkansas.
Grew by 25% from the 2010 census to the 2020 census.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:38 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,368,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Didn’t you write Atlanta as well?
Yes I did but what I questioned was Atlanta being top 3 for population growth. I did so in part because its already a large MSA so it makes % growth harder to be exceptionally high, compared to say a Boise, Austin or Vegas. Someone else who responded provided a link that supports Phoenix being a high growth market but it did not show Atlanta in the top ten. Austin was #1 and even Dallas/Fort Worth was included. That said, Atlanta has several positive characteristics but so does its smaller southeast neighbors of NC and Nashville.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:39 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,368,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Aren’t we talking metros here?
I may have misread the OP post.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:42 PM

8,649 posts, read 10,180,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Yes I did but what I questioned was Atlanta being top 3 for population growth. I did so in part because its already a large MSA so it makes % growth harder to be exceptionally high, compared to say a Boise, Austin or Vegas. Someone else who responded provided a link that supports Phoenix being a high growth market but it did not show Atlanta in the top ten. Austin was #1 and even Dallas/Fort Worth was included. That said, Atlanta has several positive characteristics but so does its smaller southeast neighbors of NC and Nashville.
I believe that was my link to NYT article. Phoenix was #1, Dallas was #3, and Austin was #4.

Old 01-13-2022, 03:11 PM

1,321 posts, read 875,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
What is your source for Atlanta and Phoenix? People moving to Phoenix or Vegas, given the lack of water just seems insane.

https://lacrossetribune.com/lifestyl...c50dbb.html#13
Las Vegas and Phoenix are much more water secure than people assume. In fact, Las Vegas is an established nationwide leader in water conservation.

If you are concerned about water availability, you should be wondering why so many people are moving to Miami. Miami is classified as "highly vulnerable" to water scarcity due to its primary water source, the Biscayne Aquifer, risking contamination from saltwater as a result of rising sea levels. Even Atlanta is classified as "moderately vulnerable" due to relatively poor access to hydraulic inputs as it is located upstream of any major local rivers, and has little to no access to groundwater. Atlanta's dependence on surface water makes it especially sensitive to drought conditions, which has massive impacts on its water security.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....9/2012WR012335

https://www.watersecuritysystem.com/...drop-to-drink/

Old 01-13-2022, 03:15 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,018,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazbrah View Post
I would argue that Nashville right now is the hottest metro outside of Texas and still in the south.
The amount of construction and growth that is happening there is insane! It's almost unrecognizable for someone like me who grew up and lived there. There are a ton of transplants from California and Texas. Many of the people who were from Texas always brought up the Austin comparison. The downtown area is electric, the sports teams are getting more recognzied and businesses are rushing to cash in on the boom.

East Nashville used to be a dump, but is now very trendy and has many bars/venues that carry their own unique niche. Hillsboro/West End is another neighborhood that is exploding from the downtown area growth sprawl. Germantown also is another growing area in Nashville closer to downtown.

The towns around it are also booming, You have the quaint, wealthy but booming growth of Franklin, TN, 30 mins southwest of Nashville that is becoming home to many commuters who want family homes. Their downtown is lively but still small. You also have Murfreesboro, TN 30 mins southeast of Nashville that is filled with people who want more affordable housing. It's also a college town.

The downfalls of Nashville are their infrastructure and lack of transit. I used to be able to get around town and even drive through downtown (except on Fri/Sat nights) relatively easy and quick, but now I wouldn't want to get stuck in traffic. They had a light rail plan, albeit not great, that got shot down. Infrastructure is not suited for the growth it's receiving. I don't know what they are going to do but it will get messy in 5-7 years.
As a former Nashville resident, I completely agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.