Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 11:51 AM

16,581 posts, read 10,686,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I would think so -- but Hawaii is actually further south...
"Ka Lae, the southernmost point in the 50 states of the United States, is on Hawaii."
So, the closest city is Nā'ālehu. It is roughly the same latitude as Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
Farther south than Hanoi.
As you know, the OP was asking about cultural southern-ness, not geographical southern-ness. In any case, Nā'ālehu is not a city. It's a little village with fewer than 1,000 residents. The southernmost "real" town is Kailua-Kona (population just under 20,000); the southernmost city is Hilo (population about 44,000); and the southernmost major city is Honolulu (population about 343,000, though it feels bigger than that to me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 12:19 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,369,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm sorry, I don't want to seem rude, but . . . no. Just no. Miami is not a culturally Southern city. At all.

South Florida as a whole is a very distinctive area. You can feel it even just by driving down I-95. The switchover takes place at the PGA Blvd. exit in Palm Beach Gardens. The area to the south of that exit feels very, very different from the area north of that exit. North of there is kind of Southern-ish, but I'm not sure if I'd label it as distinctly culturally Southern. I think you have to get north of the Treasure Coast to feel like you're truly in The South. Or maybe even north of the Space Coast.
I feel like Miami is the only city that gets this treatment, many cities are stark contrasts to its rural surroundings but aren't treated as if they aren't part of the region they occupy.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:18 PM

16,581 posts, read 10,686,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I feel like Miami is the only city that gets this treatment, many cities are stark contrasts to its rural surroundings but aren't treated as if they aren't part of the region they occupy.
If one were to ask me, "Name a city that feels distinctly different from other cities in its geographic region," Miami is the very first place I'd name. It simply does not share any significant cultural traits with any other major cities in the South (or the Southeast, geographically speaking). Compare it not to, say, Loxahatchee or Belle Glade (or other nearby rural areas), but to other major southeastern cities like Atlanta or Charlotte or Jacksonville or Raleigh or Nashville . . . heck, even compare it with Tampa. It doesn't feel like any of them.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:45 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,868,983 times
Quote:
If one were to ask me, "Name a city that feels distinctly different from other cities in its geographic region," Miami is the very first place I'd name. It simply does not share any significant cultural traits with any other major cities in the South (or the Southeast, geographically speaking). Compare it not to, say, Loxahatchee or Belle Glade (or other nearby rural areas), but to other major southeastern cities like Atlanta or Charlotte or Jacksonville or Raleigh or Nashville . . . heck, even compare it with Tampa. It doesn't feel like any of them.

Miami is extremely far from many southern cities.

Nashville is closer to Minneapolis than it is to Miami geographically.

Atlanta is equidistant from Miami as it is from northwest Ohio.

Charlotte is closer to NYC than to Miami

I agree with the main point that Miami is unique even compared to other Florida cities but I think it compares a lot closer to those other Florida cities than it does to someplace 900 miles away in the upper south, which logically it would..

Old 01-14-2022, 03:02 PM

20,524 posts, read 33,602,357 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't want to seem rude, but . . . no. Just no. Miami is not a culturally Southern city. At all.

South Florida as a whole is a very distinctive area. You can feel it even just by driving down I-95. The switchover takes place at the PGA Blvd. exit in Palm Beach Gardens. The area to the south of that exit feels very, very different from the area north of that exit. North of there is kind of Southern-ish, but I'm not sure if I'd label it as distinctly culturally Southern. I think you have to get north of the Treasure Coast to feel like you're truly in The South. Or maybe even north of the Space Coast.

This is probably the best answer.
It would be different because you're entering a large metropolis. That's not different from anywhere else in the South and especially Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and even New Orleans.

Old 01-14-2022, 05:21 PM

1,094 posts, read 813,469 times
Okeechobee would probably fit the bill. It's geographically in South Florida (technically the Florida heartland region) and has a southern vibe to it.

Old 01-15-2022, 03:42 PM

20,524 posts, read 33,602,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Okeechobee would probably fit the bill. It's geographically in South Florida (technically the Florida heartland region) and has a southern vibe to it.
Clewiston is ever farther than Okeechobee and it is just as Southern.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:37 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,369,156 times
Quote:
I agree with your first statement. New Orleans is very similar to me, being from south Louisiana is very different from the rest of the south, Arkansas, Georgia, the Carolinas all feel completely different to me personally.
If its not southern, it must be Latin American and have more ties with Latin America and the Caribbean for it not to be southern and that seems like a stretch.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:00 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,205,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This is a bunch of reaching. None of what you stated tells me that Fort Lauderdale culturally is the Northeast whatsoever. Different attitudes, different pace, different built environment, etc. You seem to harp on the South being just one giant blob of bible belt, country music, swamp pop (what is this?) stuck in the 1950s. Houston is arguably the most diverse religious city in the South. Is it no longer Southern? Also, there are places that serve fish and grits or shrimp and grits in South Florida. That sounds pretty Southern to me.
To be fair, you can dine on traditionally "southern" fare in Chicago and NYC at Carolina and Texas BBQ places, etc. Just because you can get shrimp and grits somewhere, it doesn't define the culture as Southern, just like being able to get take out Chinese in Birmingham doesn't make its culture Asian.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:24 AM

30,693 posts, read 18,319,995 times
Quote:
As you know, the OP was asking about cultural southern-ness, not geographical southern-ness. In any case, Nā'ālehu is not a city. It's a little village with fewer than 1,000 residents. The southernmost "real" town is Kailua-Kona (population just under 20,000); the southernmost city is Hilo (population about 44,000); and the southernmost major city is Honolulu (population about 343,000, though it feels bigger than that to me).
Having lived in Honolulu for 3.5 years, I agree that the city feels a lot bigger than it is. At least for me, I think a big part of that is because the entire island of Oahu--known officially as the City and County of Honolulu--is all run by one local government entity that meets in Honolulu. Thus, even when I'm technically out of Honolulu, I have a hard time separating the other parts of the island from the city.

Still, even Honolulu proper seems to be bigger than it is as everything is so condensed and packed together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.