Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 07:53 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times

Advertisements

The older I get, the less I enjoy it. However, my kids are old enough that they love playing in the snow. Based on that, I don't mind it so much. I live in a city (Indianapolis) that does a generally decent job with snow removal, and we don't get a ton anyway. We get just enough to look pretty and go sledding, we rarely get enough snow to leave us stranded for long periods of time.

It is the long stretches of cold and gray that I don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 08:19 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
I love it. We are pretty serious skiers, so the winter means snow and the more snow we have, the better skiing is. The pre-season build up is real. It starts with the snow gun tests at local resorts when the nights get cold enough (usually mid-late September) and the first real snowfalls in the mountains (October, generally); but the party really starts when the first big storm comes and really creates the base for the season.

I know a lot of skiers who have an "it can stay in the mountains" attitude, but I still enjoy snow at home. I'm not out building snow men outside, but it's pretty and the silence in the city during/immediately after a storm is pretty impressive. I might enjoy it less if I had a long driveway in the 'burbs, but I still enjoy it. I usually take the shovel out and go get sections of sidewalk that nobody else wants to take responsibility for. It's good exercise and the cold doesn't bug me. I'd definitely put myself in the camp that dreary gray or cold rain is far worse than snow in the winter. November is one of my least favorite months of the year because it's cold and gray, but there's still no snow. It seems like winter in many parts of the country is similar to an extended November here. I'd take longer winter that's cold and snowy or year-round warm over a November that starts in November and lasts into March/April.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:21 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
I love New England kind of snow. Just a couple really big storms rather than the Great Lakes style 2 inches every 4 days kind of winter.

Now Ice has no redeeming characteristics

Old 02-04-2022, 08:32 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I love it. We are pretty serious skiers, so the winter means snow and the more snow we have, the better skiing is. The pre-season build up is real. It starts with the snow gun tests at local resorts when the nights get cold enough (usually mid-late September) and the first real snowfalls in the mountains (October, generally); but the party really starts when the first big storm comes and really creates the base for the season.

I know a lot of skiers who have an "it can stay in the mountains" attitude, but I still enjoy snow at home. I'm not out building snow men outside, but it's pretty and the silence in the city during/immediately after a storm is pretty impressive. I might enjoy it less if I had a long driveway in the 'burbs, but I still enjoy it. I usually take the shovel out and go get sections of sidewalk that nobody else wants to take responsibility for. It's good exercise and the cold doesn't bug me. I'd definitely put myself in the camp that dreary gray or cold rain is far worse than snow in the winter. November is one of my least favorite months of the year because it's cold and gray, but there's still no snow. It seems like winter in many parts of the country is similar to an extended November here. I'd take longer winter that's cold and snowy or year-round warm over a November that starts in November and lasts into March/April.
Exactly. It's no wonder people who experience winter only as a series of gray wet days with occasional slushy and dirty snow periods don't like it. What I'll call a "true" winter is one cold enough to keep the slush away, and enough snow to keep a fresh layer of white on the top to keep things looking pristine. Even a dusting can do that. Snow on the ground makes days "feel" warmer, and sometimes brighten nighttime skies nearly as bright as a cloudy daytime sky.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:19 PM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I love New England kind of snow. Just a couple really big storms rather than the Great Lakes style 2 inches every 4 days kind of winter.

Now Ice has no redeeming characteristics
Snowfall varies in the Great Lakes and can come down to if you live within a typical snow band.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:58 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Will concur with the widespread opinion here that I think it's pretty and I enjoy it for short periods of time, but when it drags on and on it's more stressful to drive on than anything else.

I am actually just fine with the cold, though. Even when it got into the single digits or below zero in Chicagoland, I was fine as long as I was physically moving and had a couple jackets on.

Old 02-04-2022, 01:47 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Snowfall varies in the Great Lakes and can come down to if you live within a typical snow band.
Factually Eastern New England has the largest median snowstorms in the country. Even larger than the snowier regions of upstate or UP of Michigan

Old 02-04-2022, 01:56 PM

1,425 posts, read 663,047 times
It's really pretty and when it falls on the trees, branches or a really dry sparkly snow is just magical.
Christmas lights reflecting off snow also just doubles the pretty.
I absolutely hate driving in it but winter is really ugly here without it so yes I like it.

Old 02-04-2022, 02:32 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times
I hate snow and I hate the cold !

Old 02-04-2022, 05:29 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
I don’t get what’s to like about snow. Here are ten reasons why snow is unpleasant:
1. It is not “pretty”. It’s colorless. Everything in the landscape is just plain white… super boring. 2. Obviously, snowy weather is cold. It’s not pleasant to be outside for any length of time because cold is a form of pain. Touching snow makes it worse. When your fingers and toes get really cold, it hurts! Frostbite and hypothermia are real concerns. 3. Snow creates dangerous driving and flying conditions. Auto accidents and vehicles stuck in the snow skyrocket in winter weather. 4. The weight of snow can cause roofs to collapse. 5. Melting snow can damage roofs and lead to other structural problems. 6. Drifting snow can block doors, preventing people from exiting homes. I have recently heard of two actual cases of this occurring. 7. Avalanches. No need to explain. 8. The slippery conditions that snow creates often have terrible consequences for pedestrians. Especially the elderly. One wrong move and they can break a hip. 9. Melting snow in some areas sometimes results in major flooding. And 10. Heavy snow and ice can cause power outages. Outages when we really need power to keep warm. How convenient! End of rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.