Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 12:33 AM

218 posts, read 144,494 times

Advertisements

He wants to be closer to nature
He needs a warm area, because of his medical condition he cannot tolerate cold
He wants a place where he can ride the bus or bike to work (he does 6 miles to and fro currently)
He wants a place where a single working class person can afford a house or apt if possible (but not necessary)

I, he, just wants someone to point him in the right direction
Live in Los Angeles, CA right now, bored to death of the area.
I want to do some practical travelling to see where to move.
I've traveled to NY, Seattle, Portland and Tuscon so far. I liked Washington but it is expensive I hear.
I'm interested in South Carolina and Georgia. Kinda intersted in NorCal and New Mexico too (if i want to stay in the west).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 08:08 AM

9,373 posts, read 14,218,714 times
He should go where his talents are in highest demand at numerous employers. That way he will continue to have options. As for a geographic zone, try this. Look at the USDA plant hardiness maps. To avoid the most cold days, choose zone 9 or higher. Combine those two searches and look into cities where there is an overlap between weather tolerance and their “need” for your special talents.

Old 02-12-2022, 10:25 AM

257 posts, read 207,415 times
California is the most coddled state when it comes to weather.. If you want something similar, you will not find it. Either too cold, too dry, too hot, too humid, too wet, etc.

With that being said.

Oregon is probably a good option in the west.

You said nor cal. That's still California. But it is good.

Old 02-12-2022, 01:41 PM

8,519 posts, read 8,900,233 times
How affordable is key. What do you hope to pay in rent or home purchase?

WA near Seattle is not very affordable. Wenatchee or Spokane Valley might be worth a look.

Having a preferred population range
helps weed recommendations and your choices.

Most of NM gets some cold. If you look there, I'd probably start with Las Cruces.

South Carolina or Georgia would probably be good places to focus on. Pick a place size and look, on internet or in person. Greenville SC or a suburb. North or mid GA (Dahlonega, Rome, Columbus...). Northern Alabama.

Old 02-12-2022, 04:37 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,694,286 times
There are places far more boring than California

Old 02-12-2022, 05:45 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,266,332 times
They may want to think about Florida. They will be too cold in New Mexico and they won’t like the cost of living in NorCal.

Old 02-12-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
There are places far more boring than California
California isn't boring, i'm just bored of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
How affordable is key. What do you hope to pay in rent or home purchase?

WA near Seattle is not very affordable. Wenatchee or Spokane Valley might be worth a look.

Having a preferred population range
helps weed recommendations and your choices.

Most of NM gets some cold. If you look there, I'd probably start with Las Cruces.

South Carolina or Georgia would probably be good places to focus on. Pick a place size and look, on internet or in person. Greenville SC or a suburb. North or mid GA (Dahlonega, Rome, Columbus...). Northern Alabama.
Thanks.

Looking at Las Cruces; definitely nice to see places I could actually afford.

I will continue to research and take trips before making any moves though (obviously)

Last edited by JMT; 02-12-2022 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: language

Old 02-12-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
They may want to think about Florida. They will be too cold in New Mexico and they won’t like the cost of living in NorCal.
Florida would be good because I receive medicine from a clinic based down there. Plus the weather. Also most of my family is, and is going to be, on the East Coast.

Old 02-12-2022, 08:48 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,494,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleton1989 View Post
Florida would be good because I receive medicine from a clinic based down there. Plus the weather. Also most of my family is, and is going to be, on the East Coast.
I would consider St. Petersburg or Tampa. Decent bus service and mostly flat. Both have a lot of neat art centers, restaurants, and good night life. Easy places to live. Jacksonville seems more obvious, but it is not exciting and transit is not very good.

Old 02-12-2022, 11:27 PM

6,890 posts, read 4,344,216 times
You can't really get bored of a state. When people say that they're really bored of their life. Now if you live in a 300 souls hamlet in Nebraska then maybe there's not a whole lot you can do to make that life more exciting, but in Los Angeles? A million different things could be done to make things interesting that stop short of moving out of state.

Not that I'm saying there's no legit reason to move out of CA, there's quite a few. Just 'boredom' is a state of mind caused by lack of things of interest. But if you can't find anything of interest in Southern California then why on earth would there be anything in Las Cruces (essentially a cheaper, poorer version of an inland CA city) to capture your interest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.