Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 11:32 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,862,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Custer State Park in South Dakota. Contains the most beautiful parts of the Black Hills. Merge it with the Black Elk Wilderness and you would have a Top 10 national park.
I came here to say this. I am shocked it's not a National Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 06:56 PM

828 posts, read 651,633 times
Okfenokee Swamp for sure has to be number 1 on my list. Adirondacks....Perhaps some more in NC north of Asheville. Argument for Cape Canaveral seems decent as well in its own weird way.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:21 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,270,011 times
Quote:
Custer State Park in South Dakota. Contains the most beautiful parts of the Black Hills. Merge it with the Black Elk Wilderness and you would have a Top 10 national park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I came here to say this. I am shocked it's not a National Park.
I have never been to Custer State Park but I have heard of it. And it turns out National Geographic Magazine agrees with you guys. It is mentioned in the NG book America's Outdoor Wonders - State Parks and Sanctuaries. Seems like a great place. Hills, outstanding rock formations and a bison herd!

Old 03-05-2022, 10:39 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,270,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Okfenokee Swamp for sure has to be number 1 on my list. Adirondacks....Perhaps some more in NC north of Asheville. Argument for Cape Canaveral seems decent as well in its own weird way.
The Adirondack Preserve would be a massive addition to the National Park System and would be the Crown Jewel of the National Parks in the Northeast.

Franconia Notch SP in New Hampshire along with parts of the White Mountain National Forest could be another National Park.

The large Baxter State Park in Maine is another possibility plus there are other areas of wild forest for other parks as well. I know it would be very expensive but perhaps Acadia National Park could be expanded?

On a smaller scale, Camel's Hump State Park in Vermont, Mount Greylock State Reservation (and other nearby MA/NY/CT parks), the Upper Delaware River area like we discussed, the Catskills Preserve, the Hudson Highlands, and a number of places in Pennsylvania could be National Parks. There is one state park in PA that has over a dozen waterfalls in a small area? I forget the name.

I got it - Ricketts Glen State Park in Pennsylvania https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricketts_Glen_State_Park

And still another one - Letchworth Gorge in New York, the Grand Canyon of the East. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letchworth_State_Park

Old 03-06-2022, 04:46 PM

1,354 posts, read 900,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I have never been to Custer State Park but I have heard of it. And it turns out National Geographic Magazine agrees with you guys. It is mentioned in the NG book America's Outdoor Wonders - State Parks and Sanctuaries. Seems like a great place. Hills, outstanding rock formations and a bison herd!
The Black Hills are legitimate mountains. We gained more elevation hiking to the summit of Black Elk Peak (on the long trail - not the one from the lake) than you gain on some of the Colorado 14ers.

Old 03-06-2022, 05:33 PM

503 posts, read 801,927 times
Quote:
The Black Hills are legitimate mountains. We gained more elevation hiking to the summit of Black Elk Peak (on the long trail - not the one from the lake) than you gain on some of the Colorado 14ers.
The Black Hills are indeed mountains but the 2nd sentence is not true.

Old 03-07-2022, 03:29 AM

344 posts, read 457,111 times
I think this may have been posted earlier but worth doing it again. Pretty much a comprehensive list:

https://www.worthitplaces.org/usnt/p...ational-parks/

Old 03-07-2022, 06:03 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,355,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The large Baxter State Park in Maine is another possibility plus there are other areas of wild forest for other parks as well.
Roxanne Quimby, a co-founder of US company Burt's Bees, and her foundation, Elliotsville Plantation, Inc., began purchasing land near Baxter State Park in 2001 before formally announcing their plans in 2011 that the land would one day become part of a national park. However, following opposition by state and federal politicians to the creation of a national park, Quimby changed her focus to a national monument, which could be created with a proclamation by the president under the Antiquities Act.

On August 23, 2016, Elliotsville Plantation and the Quimby Family Foundation donated the land (valued at $60 million), plus $20 million to fund initial operations and a commitment of $20 million in future support, to the federal government. On August 24, 2016, the eve of the National Park Service centennial, President Barack Obama proclaimed 87,563 acres of land as the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument.

Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument butts up against Baxter State Park and I feel maybe in 20-30 years Katahdin might be elated to a National Park from a National Monument, time will tell!

Old 03-07-2022, 09:14 AM

1,354 posts, read 900,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
The Black Hills are indeed mountains but the 2nd sentence is not true.
Ok.

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/tr...-trail-9-north

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/tr...iowa-gultch--3

Old 03-07-2022, 09:52 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,742,950 times
Black Hills are not a national park but Gateway Arch is. Hmmmm.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.