Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 PM

191 posts, read 809,811 times

Advertisements

Some of the posts of CDF are people defending their home areas. In some ways hometown pride can be very constructive. For instance, I know a guy who thinks that his hometown of Beckley, WV is a fantastic place (!), and he does what he can to give himself to it: United Way, T-Ball Coach, pillar, defender and promoter of the community. So he makes his world a better place.

But why would someone from Scranton (or Canton or Fort Wayne or anyplace) get offended when another calls their city boring? It's not a personal attack, it's just an observation. Some people from Youngstown have such a chip on their shoulder so that an honest discussion about how that city has been hemmoraging population and industrial jobs for three decades now are impossible. Again not a personal attack. Nor is it a personal attack when observations are made about the elevated number of homicides in Cleveland or Detroit. If I lived in Camden and I read an honest discussion about why it is consistently rated one of the most dangerous cities in the USA, I wouldn't get mad, because that isn't personal. An example of a personal attack is to say that Appalachia is only populated by inbred hillbillies. Or that everyone in Mississippi is fat and lazy.

So why do people have so much of their identity tied up in their home (or adopted home) areas? And when does it go from being a positive trait to one that stifles honest conversation and problem solving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 08:20 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
This is going to be fun

Old 05-20-2008, 08:54 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,742 times
I read in a book once; " Can nothing good come from Nazereth" and "... but she's a Samaritan..." Judging hometowns has been around since that book was written.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
some people are just insecure

Old 05-20-2008, 09:36 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
Hometown pride is good unless its Scranton. Just Kidding.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Hometown pride is good sometimes.

But it can get ugly.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:43 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
This is going to be fun
No kidding. I can think of 3 or 4 regulars in here who might get their feathers in a ruffle over this one, and I bet everyone else can figure out who I'm thinking of.

I don't think there's anything wrong with civic pride as long as it's tempered with reality. Civic pride can especially be beneficial when it comes to improving our beloved hometowns. After all, if our rival town in the next county develops a water park, or a children's theater, or a shiny new football stadium, our civic pride will push us to insist the same for our beloved hometown.

I agree with SunnyKayak, too, that when people get so defensive anytime their beloved hometowns are criticized it's merely a sign of insecurity. It's like their beloved hometowns have taken god-like qualities that are above reproach. I mean, they turn their beloved hometowns into the answer to everyone's questions just as someone would say God is the answer to everyone's questions.

Either that, or some people need to just get out of the house more and see the rest of the world.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:06 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
It only really bugs me when people suggest their own city no matter what somebody's requirements are (for moving to a new city). Or when somebody posts a dozen pictures and the page takes forever to load (unless it's specifically a picture thread).

Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
some people are just insecure
Very true. Of course it's also true that people have different ideas about what seems like a deliberate put-down. What seems like unbiased commentary to me might seem like a knock against a city to someone else who catches something I might have missed, so there's room for a certain degree of leeway. But yeah, there's definitely some insecurity involved in some cases.

Agreed with SCardsBlues too on how it's a bit annoying to see someone frequently promote his home town, even when it may not really meet the OP's criteria. That kind of indiscriminate boosterism is actually kind of amusing, except then I stop to think that people may be led into the wrong track if they buy into a recommendation that really doesn't fit.

Oh yeah, and I'll go along with the comment on lots of pictures too. Better to post links for those interested in seeing the pics, rather than imposing them on everyone.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:43 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
So why do people have so much of their identity tied up in their home (or adopted home) areas? And when does it go from being a positive trait to one that stifles honest conversation and problem solving?
Because your hometown is part of you. Part of who you are Towns, cities, regions, etc are like people in that they have both good points and bad points. When someone judges a place on a solitary bad trait in isolation, it is both dishonest and insulting. They are attacking something that is an essential component of your identiy. Why would someone not be at least a bit offended? And why would someone want to cast aspersions anyway? Humor between friends is one thing, but when perfect strangers fire a shot, it can be very annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.