Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 05:30 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,475,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
But with the high cost of housing in SoCal, you cannot afford toys like boats. Living in a warm weather area near a large body of water makes boat ownership mandatory for me.
Good grief. And yet California has more registered boats per capita than Texas. Same for RV’s.

https://www.discoverboating.com/reso...-registrations

https://www.thewanderingrv.com/rv-in...-trends-facts/

I’m in a middle/working class neighborhood and it’s filled with RVs, boats, toy haulers, and ATVs on the side of the house, and on the street from storage centers come Thursday evening.

Personally I can do without it in my neighborhood as it’s kinda trashy, plus towing a boat is a huge PITA. I’ve always kept every boat I’ve owned at the marina, or on a morning ball. Saying Californians can’t afford their “toys” is beyond laughable.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:50 PM

2,255 posts, read 1,426,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Good grief. And yet California has more registered boats per capita than Texas. Same for RV’s.

https://www.discoverboating.com/reso...-registrations

https://www.thewanderingrv.com/rv-in...-trends-facts/

I’m in a middle/working class neighborhood and it’s filled with RVs, boats, toy haulers, and ATVs on the side of the house, and on the street from storage centers come Thursday evening.

Personally I can do without it in my neighborhood as it’s kinda trashy, plus towing a boat is a huge PITA. I’ve always kept every boat I’ve owned at the marina, or on a morning ball. Saying Californians can’t afford their “toys” is beyond laughable.
Is this supposed to be surprising? California has three large metros on the coast. Texas has one, Houston, and it's kind of a stretch as it's 50 miles away from the ocean. I would have been shocked if Texans owned more boats than Californians.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:51 PM

7,245 posts, read 4,578,777 times
I was going to leave my state after retirement and head down to the cheap south.. no more cheap south. Starting to wonder if it is worth moving.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:22 PM

14,391 posts, read 11,811,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
My parents are still workaholics. They’d rather work than watch kids on a regular Tuesday. It’s an addiction. I already responded up top but unfortunately both sides of our family are like that. I do think they love my kids but it’s just inconvenient and they can’t be bothered. So we stopped asking because we knew what the answer would be.
At least they were working! My mother-in-law wasn't working, but she didn't want to give up her spontaneous shopping trips and lunch out with the girls. She told me straight out when our first child was born that she didn't want to be tied down to any kind of babysitting schedule. I was free to ASK her, and if she "felt up to it" and had nothing better to do she might say yes. But that was less than half the time I asked, and between that and having to schlepp the kids and their gear over to her house and back every time, it just wasn't usually worth it to me.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:42 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,475,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Is this supposed to be surprising? California has three large metros on the coast. Texas has one, Houston, and it's kind of a stretch as it's 50 miles away from the ocean. I would have been shocked if Texans owned more boats than Californians.
Yeah, but this is per capita not just the total number. I also threw in the RV numbers too for this reason. It was more to the previous poster’s point saying Californians can’t afford “toys”, like boats (their example) because we spend so much on housing.

Old 03-15-2022, 12:24 AM

2,255 posts, read 1,426,982 times
Quote:
Yeah, but this is per capita not just the total number. I also threw in the RV numbers too for this reason. It was more to the previous poster’s point saying Californians can’t afford “toys”, like boats (their example) because we spend so much on housing.
A much higher percentage of Californians live near the coast than Texans.. It seems fairly obvious there would be more boats there? Also, why would anyone buy an RV in Texas? I'm missing where I'd ever want to drive an RV to in Texas. (Honestly, why would anyone buy an RV anywhere? Is that fun?)

What's next, Texans have more BBQ smokers per capita than Californians? Californians have more surf boards?

Old 03-15-2022, 07:00 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,649,150 times
Quote:
Good grief. And yet California has more registered boats per capita than Texas.
California has fewer boats per capita than Michigan. And Michigan has a limited boating season.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:11 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,423,361 times
Quote:
California has fewer boats per capita than Michigan. And Michigan has a limited boating season.
Michigan has the second highest area of water after Alaska - 40,175 square miles.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:22 AM

14,391 posts, read 11,811,422 times
Quote:
That's because Michigan has so many lakes. Where lakes are the major recreational feature, people have a lot of boats.

Millions of Californians don't live that close to the beach, or anywhere near a lake large enough to go boating on.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:32 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,810,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
As I said, "big house" is relative. I would want a kid to have their own room and I need a separate office for me. A guest bedroom is nice to have but we could live without. I like having enough common space and a backyard to have parties and throw BBQs, etc, but maybe that's a cultural difference between Texas and California.
Having lived in Texas the last couple of years, I don't think that's an unreasonable requirement. I work from home permanently, so a separate home office that's secluded from the main living areas is a must for me.

For me the minimum would be:
  1. Master bedroom
  2. At least one bedroom per other occupant
  3. At least one guest bedroom
  4. At least one home office per occupant working from home at least 40% of the time
  5. CLOSET SPACE!!! All bedrooms at my current place is set up with walk-ins.
  6. 1800sqft + 500sqft per occupant besides myself.

That comes out to a minimum of 2 bedrooms + study/family room. I live in a 3 bedroom + study/family room and it certainly doesn't feel wasteful or excessive although some people might disagree. My friends make fun of me for buying housing by the square foot, but whatever. Feelings wane. Square footage is permanent.

Last edited by albert648; 03-15-2022 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.