Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 02:18 AM

158 posts, read 167,781 times

Advertisements

I often here complaints at times online or in passing about some of the gender ratios affecting the dating scene in certain places. Cities I’ve heard connected to this have been (in this case more men then women, I have not heard of more women cities honestly) but San Francisco, San Jose, Denver, San Diego, Midland and Odessa. For various reasons be it tech, oil or military.

My question is this something you’ve noticed at all in person? In visiting no I haven’t felt that but I guess living in a certain place would have a way better feel for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 02:38 AM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierlifter View Post
I often here complaints at times online or in passing about some of the gender ratios affecting the dating scene in certain places. Cities I’ve heard connected to this have been (in this case more men then women, I have not heard of more women cities honestly) but San Francisco, San Jose, Denver, San Diego, Midland and Odessa. For various reasons be it tech, oil or military.

My question is this something you’ve noticed at all in person? In visiting no I haven’t felt that but I guess living in a certain place would have a way better feel for it.
Yeah I don't really notice a difference from place to place either. It doesn't really get to be more than like 105 of one gender for every 100 of the other pretty much anywhere besides, like, North Dakota oil towns, so I have a hard time imagining walking around a city and being like "wow is it ladies' night or what?"

Although I'm gay and most of my friends are either gay/lesbian, nonbinary, polyamorous, asexual, or just seem to be eternally single, so I don't have much exposure to gender ratio dynamics in dating. Maybe it is noticeable if you're straight and hang out a lot in places like bars and Tinder where the phenomenon of the opposite gender having a lot more/fewer options than you do becomes obvious.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:06 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
I've heard on multiple occasions that NYC has way more females than males. To the point that females have a very hard time finding male partners. This may be isolated to the single scene there, but it's a theme I've heard several times.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:09 AM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I've seen maps showing the ratios, and there seem to be extremes toward the coasts. I want to say east coast is more female-weighted, and west coast is more male-weighted, in general.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:42 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Gender Balance By County Map

Old 03-24-2022, 03:04 PM

158 posts, read 167,781 times
I’ve heard illegal immigrants tends to be more male and perhaps that’s why LA is so but otherwise I wouldn’t have thought that. I figure lots of girls dream of going to Hollywood one day.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:44 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Wow sunbelt

Old 03-25-2022, 02:53 PM

817 posts, read 626,327 times
East coast cities have more women than men, Philadelphia, Boston, NYC, etc. Single men on dating subs on reddit jokingly say they're going to move to the East coast to increase their dating pool lol. As for myself, I have noticed that cities such as Seattle and Denver are definitely sausage fests for sure.

The worst location of all tends to be a smaller-midsize metros out west where everyone is more conservative ie married or in a relationship young in addition to having more males than females, this leaves little options for single guys and a feeling of hopelessness. They eventually get out as soon as they can heading for a bigger city for better dating opportunities.

I've also heard single, professional career oriented women in NYC complain about the lack of "quality" men and end up trying their luck on the west coast, if they strike out with a few guys there will always be more guys given the west's majority male demographics. It's all a numbers game really.

Last edited by NearFantastica; 03-25-2022 at 03:03 PM..

Old 03-25-2022, 10:13 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
The worst location of all tends to be a smaller-midsize metros out west where everyone is more conservative ie married or in a relationship young in addition to having more males than females, this leaves little options for single guys and a feeling of hopelessness.
Are we playing a game of "describe Salt Lake City without saying Salt Lake City"?

Old 03-26-2022, 06:50 AM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierlifter View Post
I’ve heard illegal immigrants tends to be more male and perhaps that’s why LA is so but otherwise I wouldn’t have thought that. I figure lots of girls dream of going to Hollywood one day.
I believe that there is a substantial military presence in the area, as other Western areas tend to have more men and also have a decent military presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.