Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 01:12 AM

158 posts, read 168,293 times

Advertisements

How important is that for you. When you look at the Northeast corridor, you have a bunch of major cities in there where you could take day trips to world class cities. Baltimore and Washington are pretty much the same metro. Philadelphia has been called the 6th borough of NYC that's how close it is.

In some other parts of the country, certain metros are somewhat isolated, not from nature spots but from other cities. I think Denver comes to mind, Boise, El Paso. Great cities but if you wanted to trek to another big one, it might be a hell of a drive or you might as well hop on a plane.

Is this something you considered when choosing where to live? Living in both circumstances I can tell you I think it does matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 01:17 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Very important, but for many it probably doesn’t matter? Most people don’t leave their routine (or comfort bubble) until they vacation, and/or go visit family 1-2x a year.

Old 04-15-2022, 06:04 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierlifter View Post
Philadelphia has been called the 6th borough of NYC
Wait, I thought that was Jersey City.

Old 04-15-2022, 06:23 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
Depends.
If we're just talking about larger metros of 2 million plus, then no, it doesn't matter at all. What matters there is whether or not the city itself offers what larger places should offer. If so, then I couldn't care less about travelling an hour just to see and do more city stuff. It has nothing to do with comfort or routines. I've traveled and lived all over the place.

Places like Denver, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and Kansas City are plenty big to fulfill whatever city needs I would have and they're all pretty good at playing the role of Big City. Each one also has its own unique set of offerings for day trips.
El Paso probably not so much. Salt Lake City would be fine because well, it's Utah. Just go play around in the desert or mountains. Plenty to see and do there.

The northeast corridor would drive me nuts. I need wide-open countryside.
Even if I did live there, I highly doubt I'd be going from Philly to Baltimore just to see what was there. Probably not even NYC very often.
Southern California might be little more tolerable because it gets pretty sparse inland. Unfortunately, it also gets blazing hot pretty quick away from the ocean.
Right now, I'm a day trip's drive to Chicago but we literally never go there and don't have any desire to. We did go once or twice a few years back when we lived a little bit closer.
I mostly just like to experience the place I'm living in.

Old 04-15-2022, 06:31 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Depends of your definition of neighboring. New York for New Haven? YES

WASHINGON AND Baltimore? yes

Chicago and Milwaukee? Maybe

Boston and New York? No.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:18 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
If you can afford to care about neighboring cities, that's great. I don't think most people can. That's usually an added bonus.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:09 AM

93,370 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Depends.
If we're just talking about larger metros of 2 million plus, then no, it doesn't matter at all. What matters there is whether or not the city itself offers what larger places should offer. If so, then I couldn't care less about travelling an hour just to see and do more city stuff. It has nothing to do with comfort or routines. I've traveled and lived all over the place.

Places like Denver, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and Kansas City are plenty big to fulfill whatever city needs I would have and they're all pretty good at playing the role of Big City. Each one also has its own unique set of offerings for day trips.
El Paso probably not so much. Salt Lake City would be fine because well, it's Utah. Just go play around in the desert or mountains. Plenty to see and do there.

The northeast corridor would drive me nuts. I need wide-open countryside.
Even if I did live there, I highly doubt I'd be going from Philly to Baltimore just to see what was there. Probably not even NYC very often.
Southern California might be little more tolerable because it gets pretty sparse inland. Unfortunately, it also gets blazing hot pretty quick away from the ocean.
Right now, I'm a day trip's drive to Chicago but we literally never go there and don't have any desire to. We did go once or twice a few years back when we lived a little bit closer.
I mostly just like to experience the place I'm living in.
You can still get to the countryside in under an hour-1 and half hours depending on where you want to go.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:07 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
I dont care that much as long as there is a good airport with extensive service close by.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:51 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
I couldn't care less about having a smorgasbord of cities nearby. Denver has all the amenities I need plus the outdoor recreation I crave. We've got an airport that can get me anywhere else in the lower 48, should I absolutely need to go there, typically in 4 hours or less.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:53 AM

824 posts, read 713,771 times
Personally I think most people like places with a couple of interesting locations within an hours drive, outside of that, most people don’t really care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.