Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 11:08 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times

Advertisements

It's funny how the people "fleeing in droves" from California for a few years now don't seem to have cooled the housing market one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 11:16 AM

253 posts, read 198,261 times
Not in the bay area. Still being bought out by a couple grand on top and no contingencies.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:17 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's funny how the people "fleeing in droves" from California for a few years now don't seem to have cooled the housing market one bit.
The people fleeing were the ones that couldn’t afford the houses.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:31 AM

817 posts, read 627,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I hope more California haters leave the state

Old 06-08-2022, 12:53 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
I hope more California haters leave the state
Some Californians have moved to Oklahoma such as this person from San Franciso from being bribed to do so:

Stillwater’s investment in remote workers paying off - https://journalrecord.com/2022/04/01...rs-paying-off/

Consequently, after Texas and Kansas, California license plates may be the next most likely out of state car license plate seen in Stillwater.

I don't think housing prices have started plunging here or in metro Oklahoma City. Last month, a 3200 square foot house went up for sale in Piedmont, a small suburb of Oklahoma City, with an asking price of $700,000. It was on a half-acre lot, with an in-ground pool and a 20’x30’ shop building. It sold within 3 days for $30K above the asking price with multiple offers made. I'm not sure about how it's going in Oklahoma for considerably lower priced homes, other than Zillow has my rent house up $2900 for the last 30 days.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 06-08-2022 at 02:20 AM..

Old 06-08-2022, 07:34 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
The people fleeing were the ones that couldn’t afford the houses.
That, and the people moving in are being well-compensated and driving up the scarce houses that are available. That plus foreign investment in the California real estate market will keep prices high for the forseeable future.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:35 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
There has been a notable "deceleration" in Raleigh/The Triangle in my observation; but nothing even remotely resembling a cool-down/shift to a buyers market. I think the frenzied "everything is going to sell for 15%-20% over list price with 30 offers" days are behind us for now....but most well priced, well marketed properties are still selling quickly and for a premium.
I am in Southern New Mexico, and this assessement is spot-on. I agree with every word written here from my persepective as well. We aren't having to use "Escalation Clause" forms any longer.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:44 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Not really but the fed is just getting started with raising rates. Wouldn’t be surprised to see 8% interest rates in mortgages within a year. Some people may say that interest rates aren’t necessarily correlated with demand/prices. True but the fed has never manipulated interest rates in such a way as they did with quantitative easing after the Great Recession. It was unprecedented.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:02 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Some but not much cooling here in Knoxville TN.

Median home prices are down very slightly. Inventory is up slightly. Days on market is up slightly.

Knoxville is still a strong sellers market in a housing boom. I am on the sidelines until something changes.

A lot of pending/sold listings are showing small price cuts, so people aren't paying above asking anymore. I think the price cuts are not due to fundamentals, but because some sellers think their homes are plated with gold and list them at "silly price", then have to come back to reality. Anything priced at market is selling strong.

New construction always tanks first, so I am watching new construction sales or increasing inventory and days on market. That will be my first tell that Knoxville is on the verge of slowing down. I would love to be able to find how many new homes under contract have been canceled by buyers who changed their minds or could not qualify under today's mortgage rates.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:37 AM

1,846 posts, read 831,952 times
Starting to see a slight slow down at least in the southern DFW area. Some others on the Dallas forum have also mentioned this, but the market is still hot. Something that I've noticed is the large amount of contingent statuses versus pending. Some of the new home builders have also started lowering their prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.