Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 11:33 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times

Advertisements

Asheville, NC???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 07:01 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Charlotte and Nashville come to mind for similar sized cities.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:19 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
I’m just going to throw it out there that there is no close second city anywhere in USA that does what Austin does. Which is taking the Silicon Valley’s biggest companies and creating a presence remotely as big to the presence in the Silicon Valley itself. You don’t get that anywhere outside of Austin.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:35 PM

817 posts, read 627,620 times
People who grew up in sheltered suburban HOA hells move to urban cities and freak out whenever they see some litter or homeless people, or god forbid graffiti! See some tents or needles on the sidewalk? oh no it's literally the apocalypse, call Fox News! lol. As climate change worsens and overpopulation continues, we will see more trash on the streets, more pollution, more homeless, that's just the reality of our world. Want to have a cleaner environment? then start being eco conscious and promote high density affordable housing.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:51 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Wouldn’t be hard to improve upon a place like Austin.
Twin Cities, SLC, maybe San Diego.
Chicagoland is truly not bad in the clean department. Milwaukee for the most part isn’t either.
Kansas City, especially away from the east side.

Last edited by sub; 07-15-2022 at 11:09 PM..

Old 07-16-2022, 12:45 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’m just going to throw it out there that there is no close second city anywhere in USA that does what Austin does. Which is taking the Silicon Valley’s biggest companies and creating a presence remotely as big to the presence in the Silicon Valley itself. You don’t get that anywhere outside of Austin.
Eh, Austin definitely does not do that at all (no city does, really), but to the extent that it does, a few other cities clearly do better. I would guess that Austin probably has the 5th most FAANG jobs after the south Bay, SF proper, NYC, and Seattle. Boston and LA are about the same as Austin but might still be slightly ahead overall, I am not sure. I think Apple is the only company that has its 2nd largest presence here.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:31 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Seattle says, hold my beer. Google's second largest engineering presence is in the Seattle area. Meta also has huge offices under construction right now. This is all in addition to its homegrown Microsoft and Amazon.

Old 07-16-2022, 12:00 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,884,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Eh, Austin definitely does not do that at all (no city does, really), but to the extent that it does, a few other cities clearly do better. I would guess that Austin probably has the 5th most FAANG jobs after the south Bay, SF proper, NYC, and Seattle. Boston and LA are about the same as Austin but might still be slightly ahead overall, I am not sure. I think Apple is the only company that has its 2nd largest presence here.

You might want to do some research.

Btw, this thread is about city cleanliness, not where cities rank in the tech sector. That can be a separate thread.

Old 07-16-2022, 02:10 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
You might want to do some research.

Btw, this thread is about city cleanliness, not where cities rank in the tech sector. That can be a separate thread.
I think if he qualified that statement with **for a city of its size**, it might be more accurate. I do think it has more forward momentum than the other cities listed including Seattle which is very close to becoming a net exporter itself, like the Bay Area.

But, correct. None of this has anything to do with cleanliness though.

Old 07-16-2022, 02:25 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Seattle says, hold my beer. Google's second largest engineering presence is in the Seattle area. Meta also has huge offices under construction right now. This is all in addition to its homegrown Microsoft and Amazon.
I was counting Seattle and the Silicon Valley together. They both use Austin to expand. Seattle and the Silicon Valley have both been what they are stemming back from the rise of Wintel. Both of their companies have been using Austin as their branch and there’s not really any other city with a close second to Austin’s role
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.