Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 11:29 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Stop sounding so young and naive. New York was developed from a street, neighborhood mentality unlike any other city in this country, not even close. Every ethnic group from all parts of the world. And most people in the rougher areas today are some of the most clueless, uninformed people you will ever meet. You are dead wrong on both counts.
I will also, fourth poster in a row, to disagree with the New York boostering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 11:59 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
I mean this whole thread is basically asking people to boost a place by using anecdotal evidence. And the op asked for a city with smart people with common sense. I know a lot of smart people without much common sense. Along with education, those are three distinctly different things, even if there is some overlap.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:52 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Los Alamos New Mexico, if you are to go by percentage of those that hold PHD's.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:24 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I mean this whole thread is basically asking people to boost a place by using anecdotal evidence. And the op asked for a city with smart people with common sense. I know a lot of smart people without much common sense. Along with education, those are three distinctly different things, even if there is some overlap.
Common sense is not intelligence is not street smarts.

Common sense is common. That would be a most practical city. It's stuff that not really remarkable or noteworthy by definition. Like not blocking the box on a left-hand turn or wringing your shirt out if it's wet and you're getting in a car.

Intelligence is your propensity for intellect and your ability to discuss, explain and apply knowledge of word or complex topics that maybe don't immediately concern you. It's also your ability to process lots of information, problem solve and your ability to apply knowledge in skills.

Street Smarts is your ability to remain safe in public and make decisions that maximize your outcomes in an informal setting. Like knowing what block not to walk on after 10 pm. Knowing when and where you can hop a turnstile. How to deter muggers from preying on you. Most all street smarts are learned through lived experience which puts it pretty much on the opposite end of intelligence afaik.

Streets Smarts is a form of intelligence but it veers heavily away from "intellect"

I think NYC is a very intelligent city but I just connotate intelligence more with intellect.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:40 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Common sense is not intelligence is not street smarts.

Common sense is common. That would be a most practical city. It's stuff that not really remarkable or noteworthy by definition. Like not blocking the box on a left-hand turn or wringing your shirt out if it's wet and you're getting in a car.

Intelligence is your propensity for intellect and your ability to discuss, explain and apply knowledge of word or complex topics that maybe don't immediately concern you. It's also your ability to process lots of information, problem solve and your ability to apply knowledge in skills.

Street Smarts is your ability to remain safe in public and make decisions that maximize your outcomes in an informal setting. Like knowing what block not to walk on after 10 pm. Knowing when and where you can hop a turnstile. How to deter muggers from preying on you. Most all street smarts are learned through lived experience which puts it pretty much on the opposite end of intelligence afaik.

Streets Smarts is a form of intelligence but it veers heavily away from "intellect"

I think NYC is a very intelligent city but I just connotate intelligence more with intellect.
Yeah there's no point in talking about this if we're going to use different definitions of intelligence. People anywhere learn what they need to survive. There's no need for someone from a rural area to learn how to avoid trouble on the sidewalk or how to buy drugs or get cash without drawing unwanted attention. Conversely there are people living in the inner city who can't even drive let alone change a tire.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:49 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Yeah there's no point in talking about this if we're going to use different definitions of intelligence. People anywhere learn what they need to survive. There's no need for someone from a rural area to learn how to avoid trouble on the sidewalk or how to buy drugs or get cash without drawing unwanted attention. Conversely there are people living in the inner city who can't even drive let alone change a tire.
Agreed. Someone in Bay Ridge is going to be more adept to being able to procure a lower interest loan from the don at the local social club, whereas someone in Los Alamos is going to be more inclined to be able to speak fluently about nanotechnology.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:26 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
In addition to NY, there's lots of ideas coming from SF, Boston and DC. Those 4 to me are the most intelligent
Sorry but can't include D.C. as an idea incubator outside of politics. SF, Boston, NY, Austin,

Old 08-24-2022, 02:29 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
DC, Boston, NYC, SFBA, Seattle, Austin, Portland, Denver.

Completely generalizing and stereotyping, I'd say DC is the most worldly where people are most knowledgeable about current events and such. In NYC you are simply exposed to so many different people with different ideas; it's a difficult city to live in a bubble in. SFBA and Seattle have the most professional expertise per-capita (though unlike NYC it is fairly bubbly).

Boston is probably the most well-read and academic. Portland and Austin have very strong alternative scenes with people that look outside the box (lots of psychedelic use and whatnot). Denver just seems to have a very healthy balance where people are physically fit and work to live.
Portland? It has no major colleges. Its not an area with a lot of Major Corporate HQs or start-ups. The same with Denver. Yes, its healthy but academically/noteworthy research/innovation? nah

Old 08-24-2022, 07:33 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Boston, Washington DC, New York City, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Seattle

Old 08-24-2022, 08:27 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Boston, Washington DC, New York City, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Seattle
What is it about Minneapolis that got it multiple mentions? Is it because it's next to the state capital or because there's a big university? In terms of industry I only know Target is based there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.