Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 04:22 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times

Advertisements

Museums? Please try to be serious. How many times have you been in your city's museum? How much smarter did it make you? Is West Branch more intellectual than other Iowa farm towns, because it has the Hoover Presidential Library?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 07:31 AM

497 posts, read 246,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I don't know what many people in this thread are smoking, but it's obviously something good.

The answers are NYC, DC, SF, Chicago, and Boston.

Minneapolis, Denver, and Seattle are not in the conversation if we are factoring in universities, museums, economy, and average intelligence.

This might be the vaguest thread concept I've ever seen on CD outside of "what's the best city in the U.S.?", but it seems many here are just using anecdotal experiences of meeting one person from a certain city, and then if that person was intelligent, then their home city is intelligent.
I'd put Seattle there. Tech people are very intelligent and educated.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:59 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Sorry but can't include D.C. as an idea incubator outside of politics. SF, Boston, NY, Austin,
You can't be serious. Exclude DC but include Austin? I would say Austin is up there in terms of patents, but DC overall has a fuller roster of highly educated individuals and is crazy saying it is just government.

DC attracts the best legal minds across the country.
DC attracts the best in Economics/ Finance, education, history... all around it attracts more highly skilled/educated individuals than Austin.

Again, Austin has a very well educated populace. It ranks well in percent of degrees received and is probably in the top 10 for# of patents. But as a whole Austin isn't this worldly educated city like Boston or DC that some keeps trying to lump it together with.

Austin is always trying to distance itself from its State but it's hard to do that when it's the capital. It's the capital of a state leading the charge on banning books. Despite the high percentage of degreed individuals there is still a significant contingent of insular thinking, backwoods, alternate facts, infowars following crowd.

What makes Austin stand out more is that it is in Texas. In the Northeast corridor it would be one of many.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:31 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Another separating factor for DC is the "intellectual class" of it's immigrant population by percentage of the regions total immigrants. It's only rivaled by SF, Boston on a percentage basis in that aspect. I'd expect Minneapolis and Seattle to also have good percentages of this.

Old 08-25-2022, 02:49 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
There are idiots everywhere. A lot of the smart cities listed are full of idiots, sometimes in higher proportion than more modest cities.

Old 08-25-2022, 02:50 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
There are idiots everywhere. A lot of the smart cities listed like Boston, DC and Seattle are full of idiots, sometimes in higher proportion than more modest cities.

Old 08-25-2022, 03:11 PM

212 posts, read 230,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I don't know what many people in this thread are smoking, but it's obviously something good.

The answers are NYC, DC, SF, Chicago, and Boston.

Minneapolis, Denver, and Seattle are not in the conversation if we are factoring in universities, museums, economy, and average intelligence.

This might be the vaguest thread concept I've ever seen on CD outside of "what's the best city in the U.S.?", but it seems many here are just using anecdotal experiences of meeting one person from a certain city, and then if that person was intelligent, then their home city is intelligent.
True, I was going to say that I met several—like, 8 or 9–intelligent and creative individuals from Detroit, but I met them all at a college in a different city, so ....

Old 08-25-2022, 05:14 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
I think there's a very common conflation between educated and intelligent.

Most of the cities mentioned in this thread are commonly associated with high educational attainment. However, it's always been a bit irksome to me when folks use that as an exclusive measure of intelligence.

I'm of the opinion that intelligence is complex, and there are different types of aptitudes that make up a well-rounded intelligent person. Some cities excel much more in scientific/technical intelligence, some excel more in artistic/creative intelligence, and others still in social/emotional intelligence.

None of those are exclusive to any one city, and it's certainly more broad-ranging than the cities with the most PhDs per capita.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:55 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
Intelligence is evenly distributed through the population. But migration shifts the balance. People oh high creative or productive capacity are drawn to the centers of art,science and commerce, i.e., the cities.

So the correct answer is, the cities with the greatest power to attract intellectuals.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:04 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Intelligence is evenly distributed through the population. But migration shifts the balance. People oh high creative or productive capacity are drawn to the centers of art,science and commerce, i.e., the cities.

So the correct answer is, the cities with the greatest power to attract intellectuals.
I would even go further and say that locals everywhere are almost equally boring and it's the transplants that make the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.