Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 09:27 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times

Advertisements

Providence was a good suggestion I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 06:37 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps they are thinking about it on a state level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsunflower View Post
I meant the political climate of Texas. Austin's political climate is fine, I'm just tired of living here. I was unaware of Pittsburgh, I though most of PA was liberal.
Ok. I guess that makes sense. And maybe it's fair. Keep in mind that places like Oregon, Pennsylvania and Virginia are conservative when you reach the boonies. I've even heard of Vancouver, WA being referred to as Vantucky.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:38 PM

31 posts, read 22,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You might want to list even more preferences to help narrow things down. There are a lot of places with what you're asking for, and the threshold for decent public transit can vary quite a bit.
Ok so I'll list a bit more. Public transit isn't a must have. But I hate driving, it gives me terrible anxiety, and I hate the upkeep of a car, so if I could avoid driving it would be great. If I can't avoid driving, somewhere not a huge city so I can avoid crazy traffic is preferred.

I would like to live on my own but realistically I can't. So roommates are fine. I'd like to keep my budget under $1000 for rent if at all possible.

Um...I mean I'm really adaptable to my situation. I just don't like extremes. No extreme weather, extreme crowds, extreme prices. Also I would like to live somewhere with a decent dating scene.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Check out the twin cities
I worry the snow there might be too much.

Old 09-23-2022, 10:44 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Pioneer Valley Transit Authority that serves Springfield MA and region and its colleges spends $60 million per year.

Old 09-24-2022, 05:00 AM

209 posts, read 146,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I've even heard of Vancouver, WA being referred to as Vantucky.
That label could apply to most of Clark County, but Vancouver city is pretty liberal. All 7 city council persons won their race against a more conservative opponent. Even Clark County Council is not very conservative, but I would guess by 2024, 3/5 will be liberal.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:58 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Ok. I guess that makes sense. And maybe it's fair. Keep in mind that places like Oregon, Pennsylvania and Virginia are conservative when you reach the boonies. I've even heard of Vancouver, WA being referred to as Vantucky.
There's sort of two things to factor. One is the surroundings and social pressure and potentially judgment / harassment in terms of other people doing that to you. The other is the state codifying laws or regulations that either purposefully limit the actions of people or take away protections of people. The boonies anywhere can have the former. The latter though is something that often times the state level of government is structured to have quite a bit of jurisdiction over and so which state the OP chooses matters quite a bit.

Quote:
Ok so I'll list a bit more. Public transit isn't a must have. But I hate driving, it gives me terrible anxiety, and I hate the upkeep of a car, so if I could avoid driving it would be great. If I can't avoid driving, somewhere not a huge city so I can avoid crazy traffic is preferred.

I would like to live on my own but realistically I can't. So roommates are fine. I'd like to keep my budget under $1000 for rent if at all possible.

Um...I mean I'm really adaptable to my situation. I just don't like extremes. No extreme weather, extreme crowds, extreme prices. Also I would like to live somewhere with a decent dating scene.
I think *hate* and *terrible anxiety* are pretty strong words, so since you're searching for greener pastures and the one time cost and trouble of moving is significant, then you might as well try to dial it down to what you want most.

I think with what you've said, unless your definition of "huge" city is specific, then I'd put Chicago and Philadelphia as your top picks whether city proper or a walkable suburb that has apartment rentals. I understand you are somewhat de-emphasizing the public transit aspect, but generally having a variety of apartment rentals are more common in places with mass transit as that's also where there's usually higher density in such parts. It also generally correlates well with having a greater density of singles.

Anyhow, with that said, I think my original suggestions of NYC suburbs, Chicago city or suburbs, and Philadelphia city or suburbs still make sense. I think for Chicago, there are quite a few things along the L train which serves the city and even out partially into the suburbs or the much less frequent Metra commuter rail. For Philadelphia, the Regional Rail system can be pretty good and there's the PATCO Speedline that serves the NJ satellite city suburbs and has pretty good frequency and walkable areas. Stepping down to a size smaller with all that entails and also cheaper, Pittsburgh and Buffalo city propers are good picks as well. Others I think might be interesting are Sacramento, CA and Richmond, VA.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There's sort of two things to factor. One is the surroundings and social pressure and potentially judgment / harassment in terms of other people doing that to you. The other is the state codifying laws or regulations that either purposefully limit the actions of people or take away protections of people. The boonies anywhere can have the former. The latter though is something that often times the state level of government is structured to have quite a bit of jurisdiction over and so which state the OP chooses matters quite a bit.

I think *hate* and *terrible anxiety* are pretty strong words, so since you're searching for greener pastures and the one time cost and trouble of moving is significant, then you might as well try to dial it down to what you want most.

I think with what you've said, unless your definition of "huge" city is specific, then I'd put Chicago and Philadelphia as your top picks whether city proper or a walkable suburb that has apartment rentals. I understand you are somewhat de-emphasizing the public transit aspect, but generally having a variety of apartment rentals are more common in places with mass transit as that's also where there's usually higher density in such parts. It also generally correlates well with having a greater density of singles.

Anyhow, with that said, I think my original suggestions of NYC suburbs, Chicago city or suburbs, and Philadelphia city or suburbs still make sense. I think for Chicago, there are quite a few things along the L train which serves the city and even out partially into the suburbs or the much less frequent Metra commuter rail. For Philadelphia, the Regional Rail system can be pretty good and there's the PATCO Speedline that serves the NJ satellite city suburbs and has pretty good frequency and walkable areas. Stepping down to a size smaller with all that entails and also cheaper, Pittsburgh and Buffalo city propers are good picks as well. Others I think might be interesting are Sacramento, CA and Richmond, VA.
I definitely like the look of the NYC suburbs you suggested. And although I said 'hate' and 'terrible anxiety' I drive every day, and have driven for almost 10 years (yes I did not get my license until I was 26) I have learned ways to cope with my driving anxiety because it is unavoidable.

My main concern with the NYC suburbs was housing, as it would still be too expensive to live alone, but since they are such small communities, i imagine people needing adult roommates aren't too common.

Old 09-27-2022, 09:57 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
I definitely like the look of the NYC suburbs you suggested. And although I said 'hate' and 'terrible anxiety' I drive every day, and have driven for almost 10 years (yes I did not get my license until I was 26) I have learned ways to cope with my driving anxiety because it is unavoidable.

My main concern with the NYC suburbs was housing, as it would still be too expensive to live alone, but since they are such small communities, i imagine people needing adult roommates aren't too common.

Yea, there are apartment share situations and roommates aren't super uncommon. It *is* on the pricier side of things, but still generally much cheaper than NYC proper. I do think Chicago and Philadelphia and their suburbs will be cheaper. And, of course, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Sacramento, and Richmond would be even cheaper.

Old 10-10-2022, 12:46 AM

19 posts, read 19,860 times
Quote:
Well I grew up getting between 4-12inches (maybe up to 24inches) of snow on occasion.

Kentucky is not on my list of places I would consider liberal. I want a liberal state overall more than just a liberal city.

'Friendly' meaning there are no laws (or at the least they are fighting against laws) that prohibit *****/gay/trans people from living their lives with the same rights as others.

Where are there laws that prohibit gay/trans people from living their lives with the same rights as others??? It isn't illegal to be LGBTQ anywhere in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.