Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 05:15 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
You forgot "JUANITO'S"
I LOVE Juanitos! Is the one on Rt. 9 as good? Same owners, aren't they?

Anyway, like Summer stated, you can get on the train and make it into the city in a little over an hour. Maybe 1hr. 15 min. Does that sound right, Summer16?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 02:36 PM

156 posts, read 721,748 times
I agree with Summer16, and I live in a town about 15 minutes from there.
Most people either commute to NYC, about an hour, or work in Monmouth County.There are a lot of businesses in NJ, telecom, pharm, insurance, and we are near New Brunswick,and Edison, to name a couple.
Red Bank is nice, but Fair Haven is nicer, and Rumson, and they both have little town centers you can walk to and shop in.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,499,437 times
I once read a book about "the healthy home".

It specifically said that a healthy home is not located in New Jersey. I think the author was referring to pollution.

New Jersey has a bad reputation. I remember going though New Jersey to Pennsylvania once, to the west, and being shocked by the physical beauty in western New Jersey. I never would have dreamed seeing such beauty in New Jersey.

Obviously I had (and still have) a lot to learn about New Jersey scenery.

But I am still concerned about pollution.

Here's another thing I just thought of. Northeasterners have a certain style of thinking, although, obviously, not everyone thinks the same way. I have read complaints about transplants to other regions of the country not feeling a rappport with the locals because of the difference in thinking styles and interests. That is something to consider if you move to a new region, or even to a different type of locality, e.g. city, town, small town, etc.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:39 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
Hi Cosmic - Thanks for your post. Nice idea if you can pull it off, but we are not in the position to "summer" here and "winter" there. We are in our late 20s/early 30s.

Dont worry, I find south Florida a little too warm even in the winter. Its not burning hot, just warm enough that you need air condition! south Ohio winters are mild anyway, if you can tolerate a little cold and dont mind an inch of snow, youll tolerate those winters. I know I will.

I wouldnt move to Florida and you probably already decided against that too. Lots of nice places in Ohio, West Virginia and Pennsylvania

Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 PM

31 posts, read 105,852 times
Default Moving south

We have also been thinking of moving from NJ due to high cost of living/low standard of living, weather, etc.
We are looking at Nashville! Big city vibe yet small town feel. Nearby suburban areas (such as Franklin) offer high standard of living at low cost (compared to NJ). About twice the house for half the price of NJ.
In Red Bank, you can barely get a decent old Colonial for $500K, and your taxes would be $7000 annually. In Franklin, you can get a newer 4-bedroom on 1/2 acre with pool, courts, etc. nearby for $350K. AND pay less than half the taxes of NJ. (I'm a Realtor.)
Schools in the Nashville area are excellent. The celebrity factor in the area makes the demographics look great...high household incomes, lots of jobs moving into the area, big entertainment industry, live music, good eats, FUN!
It's also very "central" in the US with a major airport, so you can get to just about any city in America directly. The weather's nice, too. More than 10 degrees warmer in the winter than the Shore of NJ, and almost never freezing.
A hip place for young marrieds, a great place to start a family, and we're looking at is a place to settle in for the long haul!
Check it out on Realtor.com for info on houses there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.