Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 09:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,097 times

Advertisements

Hello, I wanted to post this in the general forum, but I could not find a button to do that, so I will post it here.

I am looking to move to a new city, somewhere in the continental US, if anyone could please help me narrow it down. I am actually quite open to where to move to, but I have a few exceptions:

1) It must be sunny most of the year, and not have long months of snow, so the northern states are out.
2) I don't mind states with more than average regulation, but I could not live in the states with the most rules and regulations, so California is out.
3) I am OK with some of the population having a Southern Drawl, but I could not live where most people there have that accent, so Texas and other states are out.
4) I need to live in a city that has at least 400,000 population in city limits.

5) I very much enjoy hot climates, but I could not live in the hottest US city, so Phoenix is probably out.
6) The city must have affordable housing for normal people, not just poor people. The city I live in now has many programs for the poor to live in affordable housing, but working people have none of that, I cannot live in a city that has a high general rent.

Ideas? Thank you everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 08:21 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
I moved this to the General U.S. forum for better replies. Especially since you said "I could not live in the hottest US city, so Phoenix is probably out" which pretty much rules out Nevada where you posted this and the only city in Nevada with 400,000 plus is Las Vegas where the climate is on a par with Phoenix.

I'd suggest, in no particular order.
Albuquerque, NM
Oklahoma City, OK
Tulsa, OK
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:26 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalMoose View Post
Hello, I wanted to post this in the general forum, but I could not find a button to do that, so I will post it here.

I am looking to move to a new city, somewhere in the continental US, if anyone could please help me narrow it down. I am actually quite open to where to move to, but I have a few exceptions:

1) It must be sunny most of the year, and not have long months of snow, so the northern states are out.
2) I don't mind states with more than average regulation, but I could not live in the states with the most rules and regulations, so California is out.
3) I am OK with some of the population having a Southern Drawl, but I could not live where most people there have that accent, so Texas and other states are out.
4) I need to live in a city that has at least 400,000 population in city limits.

5) I very much enjoy hot climates, but I could not live in the hottest US city, so Phoenix is probably out.
6) The city must have affordable housing for normal people, not just poor people. The city I live in now has many programs for the poor to live in affordable housing, but working people have none of that, I cannot live in a city that has a high general rent.

Ideas? Thank you everyone!
Most poor people can’t afford affordable housing. Affordable Housing is not the same as low-income housing. There’s plenty of affordable housing programs you probably don’t even realize are affordable housing units. Low-income housing requires property managers to verify income information and regularly attest to the accuracy. Affordable units do not require that so it’s not as obvious.

You have too many restrictions on a McDonalds budget for me to make a recommendation otherwise. so I got nothing on that front.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:35 AM

2,342 posts, read 2,294,144 times
Raleigh and Charlotte would work.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:46 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
I'd suggest--

Albuquerque
Denver
Salt Lake City (metro area is growing, city is growing, but city is under 400k)

in the southeast, Tampa or Raleigh

Old 11-26-2022, 09:05 AM

2,342 posts, read 2,294,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I'd suggest--

Albuquerque
Denver
Salt Lake City (metro area is growing, city is growing, but city is under 400k)

in the southeast, Tampa or Raleigh
Tampa isn’t very affordable anymore.

Old 11-26-2022, 09:18 AM

783 posts, read 840,129 times
Reno/Sparks, Nevada metro area is over 400K with a year-round sunny climate, hot summers (not even close to Las Vegas hot though) and not too much snow in winter (it melts off fast in the sun).

Nevada is a libertarian state with less regulation/rules than most other states and vast open spaces/mountains to recreate in.

Cost of living is generally higher in the West, including rent/housing.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 11-26-2022 at 09:50 AM..

Old 11-26-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I moved this to the General U.S. forum for better replies. Especially since you said "I could not live in the hottest US city, so Phoenix is probably out" which pretty much rules out Nevada where you posted this and the only city in Nevada with 400,000 plus is Las Vegas where the climate is on a par with Phoenix.

I'd suggest, in no particular order.
Albuquerque, NM
Oklahoma City, OK
Tulsa, OK

The average temperature in Phoenix is significantly higher than Las Vegas. I have been to Las Vegas many times, I am OK with living there, that is not too hot. My post does not say I won't live in the hottest places (plural), it specifically says, I won't live in the hottest (singular) place, and I named that singular place.
Thank you for moving this post to the US General, I am new here, I am learning where everything is. Also, I spent 5 minutes trying to find the edit button for my post, to remove confusion. Almost every modern forum on the internet today has a post edit button, with a changelog, if you could please provide steps to access those, thank you.

Old 11-26-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
Reno/Sparks, Nevada metro area is over 400K with a year-round sunny climate, hot summers (not even close to Las Vegas hot though) and not too much snow in winter (it melts off fast in the sun).

Nevada is a libertarian state with less regulation/rules than most other states and vast open spaces/mountains to recreate in.

Cost of living is generally higher in the West, including rent/housing.

Thank you, you referenced Reno's Metro population, but I specifically said I am looking for 400k inside of city limits, not in the metro. I did not know rent is generally higher in western states, why is that? Thank you, I had never heard that before.

Old 11-26-2022, 12:51 PM

783 posts, read 840,129 times
Let me clarify-cost of living in the West is usually higher than the South, but often less than the East Coast.

In general, the lower tax/regulated states are less expensive. Nevadas housing costs and gas prices are higher than average. Some of this is because of where we obtain our petroleum products (via California). Housing is in high demand, again partly from Californians and East Coasters relocating out of very expensive areas at retirement and we have strong employment opportunities here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.