Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 06:04 PM

146 posts, read 152,052 times

Advertisements

Here are my thoughts on the matter.

Northeast: New Jersey
  • Bustling cities and small colonial-themed towns
  • Lots of people
  • Lots of history involving the American Revolution
  • Not known for having friendly people
  • Wealthy
South: Alabama
  • Has part of the Appalachian Mountains and beaches
  • Very republican
  • Loves college football
  • Lots of music
  • Known for really good food
  • Lots of history involving the Civil War
Midwest: Iowa
  • Mostly farmland
  • Known for very friendly people
  • Hot and humid summers, cold and snowy winters
  • Very family-oriented
West: Oregon

Eastern Oregon:
  • Deserts and dry plains, some spruce forests
  • Has part of the Rocky Mountains
  • Sunnier weather
  • Very republican
  • Cowboys
Western Oregon:
  • Spruce forests and mountainous beaches
  • Gloomy weather
  • Very liberal
  • Hipsters
  • Gets earthquakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 11:56 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
South is clearly Georgia (Old/New South, country/city, beach/mountains).

Old 12-07-2022, 12:43 PM

1,351 posts, read 893,471 times
Northeast would be Massachusetts, but otherwise that looks right to me.

Old 12-07-2022, 12:51 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
I think California is a better answer for the West. It’s almost like a greatest hits compilation of every subregion in the western US.

PNW - temperate rainforests, volcanic peaks, foggy rugged coastline
Southwest - deserts, grasslands, warm to hot weather, pine forests
Rocky Mountain states - analogous to the Sierra Nevada region
Colorado Plateau (red rock country) - while I don’t think California has any visual equivalent s to this, it does share in common the high concentration of National Park units and large amounts of sparsely populated land.

The Bay Area and greater LA are obviously their own things, but you can pick out elements of those cities in pretty much every western US city.

Old 12-07-2022, 02:46 PM

1,066 posts, read 783,680 times
The western US is far too large and diverse to be represented by a single state. You need to break it into at least 2 separate categories, maybe more: Southwest and North West, and perhaps even Mountain West.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:21 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
The western US is far too large and diverse to be represented by a single state. You need to break it into at least 2 separate categories, maybe more: Southwest and North West, and perhaps even Mountain West.

The problem with the west is California. It tends to be a region on its own.
The same goes for Texas -- not Plains or Southern or Western

The Southwest would easily be New Mexico.
The Northwest would be Oregon.
Intermountain West is likely Colorado.
I would pick Kansas for a Plains state.
South would probably be Georgia.
The Northeast would be New York

The Midwest is toughest for me -- coming from there. It is commonly thought of as a monotonous fly-over region, but it is not that at all. It butts up against the Appalachians and the Ozarks. It has the Great Lakes and thousands of lakes in Minnesota. There are dense forests and farmland, huge rivers and small rivers, and great cities. I am tempted to go with Michigan -- but could be swayed toward Ohio or Wisconsin. Chicago almost eclipses Illinois. Iowa is too agricultural. Missouri is influenced by the plains and south and river culture more than other Midwest states.

Old 12-07-2022, 04:16 PM

1,066 posts, read 783,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The problem with the west is California. It tends to be a region on its own.
The same goes for Texas -- not Plains or Southern or Western

The Southwest would easily be New Mexico.
The Northwest would be Oregon.
Intermountain West is likely Colorado.
I would pick Kansas for a Plains state.
South would probably be Georgia.
The Northeast would be New York

The Midwest is toughest for me -- coming from there. It is commonly thought of as a monotonous fly-over region, but it is not that at all. It butts up against the Appalachians and the Ozarks. It has the Great Lakes and thousands of lakes in Minnesota. There are dense forests and farmland, huge rivers and small rivers, and great cities. I am tempted to go with Michigan -- but could be swayed toward Ohio or Wisconsin. Chicago almost eclipses Illinois. Iowa is too agricultural. Missouri is influenced by the plains and south and river culture more than other Midwest states.
Outside the small states of the Eastern US, the problem is that each state is large enough to be unique in its own way. Idaho (my home state) is also a region on its own: Part PNW, part Northern Rockies, part Great Basin. It's a mix of craggy snow capped mountains with alpine lakes, high desert, buttes, rolling farmland (the Palouse), rugged canyon lands, amazing waterfalls, tons of rivers. The following are all photos of Idaho.

It's not really clear how to classify the state in such simplistic terms.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:30 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Georgia for the south. Home of the civil rights movement, has its own collard green, most economically powerful city of the “pure” South, big into college football, rich traditional southern coastal cities with weeping willows and oaks to Appalachians with snow and loblollies and orange soil in between. Has swampy areas too. All the soul food one can ask for. Home of Coca Cola and Waffle House which both are staples. Sweet tea can be relied on here. BBQ is still a thing too.

If the Carolinas weren’t split then maybe but Charleston and like the Appalachians are like in two different states. NC beach culture is just not the southern beaches people think of stereotypically. Georgia lacks the gulf, but the gulf states don’t have the piedmont.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:49 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times
New England: Massachusetts
Mid-Atlantic: Maryland
South: Georgia (mix of New South and Old South)
Midwest: Ohio
Plains: Nebraska
West: Arizona (I always picture Monument Valley when I think of the West.)
PNW: Washington

Old 12-08-2022, 08:41 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Midwest: Ohio
Ohio is the perfect definition of the Midwest.

1) Old industrial city with great bones and great legacy institutions
2) A sort of sunbelt-ish city that is growing and sort of considered cool, or at the very least desperate to tell you how cool they are
3) A cool rivertown that anchors this sort of Appalachia, sort of southern, sort of Midwest region
4) A nice blend of college football fanatiscm and pro sports franchises that range from well supported to total apathy
5) Desperate to tell you they are not in the Midwest as soon as you call them Midwestern - "We're not associated with those Midwesterners, we're actually more like New York"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.