Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have been pondering, researching and/or thinking about this for SOOO long so I thought I'd ask what would be my ideal place to move to in the future? Just to let you all know, I have NO intentions of moving anywhere yet because I have family obligations and I'm training for a new career.

I realize that no matter where I go, there will be disadvantages of some sort. That is the obvious truth. I have been living in the Greater Los Angeles area since 1983 and I have some wanderlust in me and a willingness to explore other areas of the country. I sometimes find it hard to think about leaving but I also know that you have to give up something in order to get other things.

So, here are some of the things I'd be looking for in my next location:

1. A place where rent and housing costs are cheaper than L.A. This is my #1 priority when I move.

2. A place that has better public transportation. Does not have to be as good as New York.

3. A place where I have a good choice of restaurants and not just chain restaurants to eat at because I am a food lover.

4. A place where I can go to lots of different live music venues.

5. And also, I'd like to be in a place where winters are colder than L.A. but not super cold like MN, WI, IL. In other words, I would not mind seeing some snow during winter but I would probably say -20F is not exactly what I'd be looking for. I am in great health and feel that I CAN handle slightly colder places.

6. Also, just to add to #5, I am flexible enough that I would probably be able to deal with the humid subtropical areas too because I've visited those types of places twice and know what to expect.

Any feedback would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:11 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Chicago, Philadelphia, Buffalo........

Old 03-17-2010, 12:46 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Portland OR

Atlanta GA

San Antonio TX

Charleston SC

Baltimore MD

Old 03-17-2010, 01:39 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
Austin Texas

Austin Texas - Events, Austin Hotels & Attractions, Convention Information, Guides, and More - ACVB

GACC | The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce :: Austin, Texas

Old 03-19-2010, 02:58 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
Thanks for the replies. I would think that Buffalo and Chicago would probably be a bit cold even for me. Don't get me wrong, I love walking outside and being greeted by cool, fresh air. I'd say that the ideal winter weather I'd prefer to see is something like highs between 45-55 and lows down to about 30-28F. And even these temperatures are too cold for some people. I brainstormed a bit and I came up with possible locations to move to in the future.

I came up with:

Houston
Atlanta
Dallas

One question though: although Houston's winters are considered mild, how do they really compare to winters in Los Angeles?

Old 03-20-2010, 01:30 PM

411 posts, read 1,165,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Thanks for the replies. I would think that Buffalo and Chicago would probably be a bit cold even for me. Don't get me wrong, I love walking outside and being greeted by cool, fresh air. I'd say that the ideal winter weather I'd prefer to see is something like highs between 45-55 and lows down to about 30-28F. And even these temperatures are too cold for some people. I brainstormed a bit and I came up with possible locations to move to in the future.

I came up with:

Houston
Atlanta
Dallas

One question though: although Houston's winters are considered mild, how do they really compare to winters in Los Angeles?
Houston winters are probably colder than LA's. Dallas is colder than Houston and actually gets a little snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.