Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 06:40 PM

8,521 posts, read 8,905,269 times

Advertisements

Livability website called Franklin TN a Gilmore Girls Town.

Lots of options on this list:

https://livability.com/best-places/2...ive-in-the-us/

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-16-2022 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2022, 03:41 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,841,585 times
Check out New Hope, Pennsylvania. Small town on the Delaware River, good restaurants, good schools, charming. Nearby and not as touristy is Yardley, PA, also on the Delaware.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3642...7i16384!8i8192

Annapolis, Maryland might be a good choice. Less touristy and more of a regular community is nearby Severna Park. This whole area has a sailing community feel. On Severn River and Chesapeake Bay.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:19 PM

Has the OP put any cities / towns on a candidate list?

Old 12-22-2022, 08:43 AM

14,419 posts, read 11,863,380 times
The OP placed sunshine and long days at the top of the want list, and people are suggesting Seattle, Pennsylvania, and Delaware? I don't get it.

Every place has sunshine and long days in the summer. By making them a high priority, she's saying she wants them all the time. At least, that is how I read it.

Old 12-22-2022, 12:27 PM

Yes sunshine made top of revised 2nd list. It was almost at the very bottom of the original list. Though that may have been an unranked original list and was superseded, it is understandable that not all trying to offer possibilities recognized it as top priority given the impression they received from original list. People were looking for places that might meet many, many criteria fairly well.

Given no reply by OP on any specific suggestion, I think the suggestions offered above can serve as reasonable general suggestions for some other readers with different priority mixes.

Amount of annual sunshine and "long days" are of course different things. Long days are about latitude and season. Northern US has longer days than southern US in summer and vice versa in winter. You have an advantage in only one, pick your priority.

Sunshine is about cloud cover and sunshine "effect" is also about temperature which is affected by location in several ways including altitude, nearness to the ocean and atmospheric flow patterns.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-22-2022 at 12:49 PM..

Old 12-22-2022, 12:46 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,482,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Yes sunshine made top of revised 2nd list. It was almost at the very bottom of the original list. Though that may have been an unranked original list and was superseded, it is understandable that not all trying to offer possibilities recognized it as top priority given the impression they received from original list. People were looking for places that might meet many, many criteria fairly well.

Given no reply by OP on any specific suggestion, I consider the suggestions general suggestions perhaps of use to other readers.
So you’re telling me an OP hasn’t responded to anyone taking the time to be helpful? Color me shocked.

Old 12-22-2022, 12:54 PM

People can and will do what they want. And that will influence what others do in response to them and other people because of prior experiences. Most call and response is decent enough. Some goes really well. Lots trails off fast. It is a 2 way deal and no party is assured satisfaction or total satisfaction.

I have been disappointed or not fully satisfied by responses to threads I've started often and totally stiffed fairly frequently. You take what you are given or try to squeeze out more. At some point you move on and maybe change tactics or expectations.

It is generally considered good form to at least acknowledge replies. Work with them if you can. But privacy and time choices and reactions to replies will affect what happens.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-22-2022 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-22-2022, 01:29 PM

Other possibilities (for whomever) could include certain suburbs of Austin Texas. Though the nature requirement might not be fully satisfied for many, bike riding and urban outdoor activities in local parks, swimming holes, other lake & river activities and the ocean beach within reach (along with vacations elsewhere) might be enough for some.

Certain suburbs of Denver might work. Show interest in that, maybe get some specifics. Or perhaps certain mountain towns in Colorado and elsewhere (Telluride, Park City, etc.) Sunshine and winter can go together, though whether that is an acceptable mix depends on the person. I had a college acquaintance start in early education as a teacher in Aspen and virtually was head of school. Boise? Show interest and maybe get (or go find) feedback on NE Boise.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-22-2022 at 01:57 PM..

Old 12-24-2022, 07:29 PM

Fwiw, in a sample of 10 of the 30 years of James Beard awards about 85% went to people working in metros of at the very least 2-3 million & usually way way over and mostly to 7 places (NY, Boston, Washington, Chicago, SF, LA and Seattle). The exceptions to big cities were predictably mostly for New Orleans, Portland ME and Napa Valley. If one wants a sizeable selection of James Beard award winners, you've got about 10 metros then strays with probably mostly just a few across all years. Nominees or finalists "might" be more diffuse.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-24-2022 at 07:42 PM..

Old 12-27-2022, 03:35 PM

8 posts, read 5,082 times
OP - reviewing lots of everyone's suggestions! Which I greatly appreciate.

I'm very familiar with the northeast / south / deep south. That's where my knowledge stops.

I don't like southern culture - singsong Christianity, fried everything, football (is god), idioms as insults. I'll stop myself there.

I like Annapolis, but the winters are ****ty (black ice and snow that turns to mush) and the I'm not sold by the community. If the community was a match, I might be able to budge on the cold.

I hate D.C.

Don't really care for Charlottesville - again because of the tough winters and weird age ranges (either college students or elderly people).

Unfamiliar with Richmond, but clearly don't like the weather and that's approaching southern.

I liked Austin, TX when I visited, as well as Jackson Hole, WY, but it was a little small and rainy. I loved the beauty of it and the lack of pollution. Gibson Island, MD is perfect, but it's remote and unrealistic.

I know I emphasized restaurants, but that is way far down on the list.

For newcomers: I am an ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHER. This is not changing and AMAZING school districts/communities are essential for me. I'm also in my 20s! I'm a single woman and looking to get married (straight) and am liberal. Some of my passions/hobbies are yoga, walking, reading, country music (zac Byran), gardening, cooking, hiking, playing cards, and barista-ing.

I'm open to moving outside of the U.S.

My priorities are a beautiful landscape with limited pollution, mild winters or minimal rain (ideally both), a very safe community (preferably no homelessness), great schooling systems, and a close-knit community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.