Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Vegas and Orlando global cities
Yes (both) 13 13.00%
No (both) 55 55.00%
Yes (Orlando) No (Vegas) 2 2.00%
No (Orlando) Yes (Vegas) 30 30.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 11:57 AM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
My guess would be that Orlando's massive university and colleges help it quite a bit in these rankings.
The plurality suggests many higher-ed options which isn't the case. UCF is the primary public option and isn't exactly an academic powerhouse (#160 in US News Rankings). Rollins College is a mid-tier private liberal arts college, and the only other college with any kind of name recognition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 12:05 PM

17,146 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The plurality suggests many higher-ed options which isn't the case. UCF is the primary public option and isn't exactly an academic powerhouse (#160 in US News Rankings). Rollins College is a mid-tier private liberal arts college, and the only other college with any kind of name recognition.
My point being that the student population is HUGE. UCF is the biggest university in the country.
Valencia is also a 4-year college, and enrolls 45,000 students, and Seminole State is at over 30,000.

In most cases, college rankings mean little to nothing anyway. My USF degree isn't worth any less than my friend's Georgia Tech degree (same field.) All that employers have ever cared about has been whether or not I have the degree, and/or required experience. Some licenses for a select few roles.

My sister's UCF degree has lead to her becoming a partner at one of the largest financial firms in the world. The equivalent degree from, say, Stanford, would have done nothing other than sink her into further financial woes.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:19 PM

12,814 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
My point being that the student population is HUGE. UCF is the biggest university in the country.
Valencia is also a 4-year college, and enrolls 45,000 students, and Seminole State is at over 30,000.

In most cases, college rankings mean little to nothing anyway. My USF degree isn't worth any less than my friend's Georgia Tech degree (same field.) All that employers have ever cared about has been whether or not I have the degree, and/or required experience. Some licenses for a select few roles.

My sister's UCF degree has lead to her becoming a partner at one of the largest financial firms in the world. The equivalent degree from, say, Stanford, would have done nothing other than sink her into further financial woes.
No. A Harvard law degree is more prestigious and will open more doors than a University of Houston law degree.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
No. A Harvard law degree is more prestigious and will open more doors than a University of Houston law degree.
I should have added, some Ivy league school degrees being the exception. Very few, and this is limited to a select few schools. In general, school rankings will have no impact on ones future career.

Literally no one in the professional world has cared that my friend got his degree at Georgia Tech vs mine at USF.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:31 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
My first instinct is to say Vegas is more international than Orlando, but when I dig into the numbers, the case is as strong for Orlando. Vegas has a larger immigrant population (largely because Puerto Ricans aren't considered immigrants-if Puerto Ricans born in PR were considered, Orlando would be bigger) but Orlando actually has more international visitors. Orlando is comparable to Boston with the number of international passengers that start or end their journey there. Thats about 7.5 million a year. Vegas is a bit smaller than Houston at about 5.2 million. Orlando is actually the 6th biggest O&D market for international travel. Vegas is 10th.

So even though my first instinct told me Las Vegas is more global, Im actually going to have to give the nod to Orlando if I had to pick one. They are both pretty similar in this regard IMO.
Airport numbers don’t always tell the whole story?

I’m sure a lot of Orlando’s numbers are just for travelers to the theme parks, but I can tell countless stories of foreign travelers that came into my old bar that did the LA > Vegas > San Diego and back to LA road-trip. I’ve flown into Frankfurt, Germany several times, and with the exception of one time where we stayed overnight I never really stepped foot in the city.

Vegas is definitely better known worldwide. I don’t think that’s really up for debate?

Old 12-30-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post

I’m sure a lot of Orlando’s numbers are just for travelers to the theme parks, but I can tell countless stories of foreign travelers that came into my old bar that did the LA > Vegas > San Diego and back to LA road-trip. I’ve flown into Frankfurt, Germany several times, and with the exception of one time where we stayed overnight I never really stepped foot in the city.

Vegas is definitely better known worldwide. I don’t think that’s really up for debate?
Did they actually go to Las Vegas though? Or were they in Paradise?
Kind of the same thing as Orlando vs Lake Buena Vista, no?

Both have massive convention centers (Orlando and Vegas being 2nd and 3rd biggest in the country) so I'm pretty sure they both get tons of airport traffic from people attending events there.

I'm pretty sure most international travelers aren't booking flights to Vegas to go to the LV Natural History Museum. Same with Orlando, in that most aren't going there to visit the Orlando Science Center.

Old 12-30-2022, 02:50 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Did they actually go to Las Vegas though? Or were they in Paradise?
Kind of the same thing as Orlando vs Lake Buena Vista, no?

Both have massive convention centers (Orlando and Vegas being 2nd and 3rd biggest in the country) so I'm pretty sure they both get tons of airport traffic from people attending events there.

I'm pretty sure most international travelers aren't booking flights to Vegas to go to the LV Natural History Museum. Same with Orlando, in that most aren't going there to visit the Orlando Science Center.
People know Disney more than they do Orlando. That's the issue.

Old 12-30-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
People know Disney more than they do Orlando. That's the issue.
I mean, yeah. But people also know "The Strip" more than they know Las Vegas.
When people go to Disney, they fly into Orlando, and (wrongfully) think they are in Orlando.
When people go to The Strip, they fly into Las Vegas (even though the airport is technically outside of city limits,) and (wrongfully) think they are in Las Vegas.

Most people visiting both places have little to no clue what the actual cities look like.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:55 PM

8,320 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post

That's true but you could also say the same about people visiting Orlando, Miami, and Tampa. People often fly into Miami, drive to Orlando, and drive back or fly from Tampa.

Old 12-30-2022, 08:04 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
I mean, yeah. But people also know "The Strip" more than they know Las Vegas.
When people go to Disney, they fly into Orlando, and (wrongfully) think they are in Orlando.
When people go to The Strip, they fly into Las Vegas (even though the airport is technically outside of city limits,) and (wrongfully) think they are in Las Vegas.

Most people visiting both places have little to no clue what the actual cities look like.
That's still completely different because when people go to Las Vegas, they say Las Vegas, when people go to Disneyworld, they say Disneyworld and not Orlando. People say Orlando if they're going to see family or a work convention.

It's quite the same for Denver, we do get a decent amount of tourists coming to see the city but there are tons of people who are coming to see the mountains and will say "Colorado" over Denver, although many times they are still within the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.