Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Vegas and Orlando global cities
Yes (both) 13 13.00%
No (both) 55 55.00%
Yes (Orlando) No (Vegas) 2 2.00%
No (Orlando) Yes (Vegas) 30 30.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 08:09 PM

151 posts, read 88,231 times

Advertisements

Orlando is a very underrated city but I would say it has globally recognized attractions. People still know the name but I don’t think most would be able to name a thing about the actual city.

I just visited Las Vegas for the first time last week. I’m pretty surprised people don’t view it as a global city. Sure it doesn’t have much global economic influence but Las Vegas is a household name and the city itself is the attraction. Definitely a Global city in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 09:06 PM

17,212 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's still completely different because when people go to Las Vegas, they say Las Vegas, when people go to Disneyworld, they say Disneyworld and not Orlando. People say Orlando if they're going to see family or a work convention.

It's quite the same for Denver, we do get a decent amount of tourists coming to see the city but there are tons of people who are coming to see the mountains and will say "Colorado" over Denver, although many times they are still within the metro area.
Good perspective. And very true.

Old 12-31-2022, 09:11 AM

8,354 posts, read 5,517,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintX View Post
Orlando is a very underrated city but I would say it has globally recognized attractions. People still know the name but I don’t think most would be able to name a thing about the actual city.

I just visited Las Vegas for the first time last week. I’m pretty surprised people don’t view it as a global city. Sure it doesn’t have much global economic influence but Las Vegas is a household name and the city itself is the attraction. Definitely a Global city in my book.
I guess it should be determined what we’re deciding makes a city global. If name recognition is more important, Las Vegas is going to be a very global city. If population and international visitors are more important, Orlando will edge Vegas out. If economic influence is important, neither city is global.

Old 12-31-2022, 09:19 AM

372 posts, read 204,494 times
Globally, neither of these cities is important. Even within our own country, neither of them are that relevant.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:30 AM

327 posts, read 223,479 times
The biggest issue impacting both Las Vegas and Orlando is the same: both cities have highly transient populations with very few multigenerational natives. This issue is the result of the following factors:
  • Both cities were developed and populated much later than most, if not all, other major cities in America.
  • Both cities have local economies that are dominated by low-wage, unstable jobs in the hospitality and tourism sector.
  • Both cities have unique climates and landscapes that often become polarizing for the average American (because they are so different than what you commonly find in most of the country).
Due to the transience factor, people in Las Vegas and Orlando are generally distant and unfriendly, which makes it difficult for the average person to build and maintain a social support system in both cities. When you couple the average Las Vegas/Orlando personality with the fact that, in 2023, most people living in those cities are not American and speak little to no English, you have a recipe for disaster.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:34 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,177,345 times
Was just in Vegas and was surprised at how international it feels. Not just the touristy parts. Lots of non-touristy ethnic restaurants from every continent. Didn't get the same feeling driving around in Orlando.

Old 01-01-2023, 01:27 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,877,770 times
Las Vegas in my opinion is more widely known around the World,and the Skyline of Las Vegas is also easily recognizable...Las Vegas is also active 24/7.

Old 01-12-2023, 05:47 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,394,001 times
With 41 plus million visitors per year many of them being from overseas , yes Las Vegas would qualify. Is it the same as NYC? No, but the huge number of visitors alone makes LV a global city IMO.

Some very popular countries don't reach such numbers!

Old 01-12-2023, 07:15 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,283,706 times
Vegas yes, Orlando no.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:49 PM

729 posts, read 1,302,543 times
No to both. Although Orlando and Las Vegas have elements that make them attractive to visitors, the world would not miss either city if they disappeared tomorrow. Neither are financial hubs and neither are industry leaders in anything of importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.