Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose Three
Alabama (Birmingham-Huntsville-Mobile) 10 16.39%
Tennessee (Chattanooga-Tri Cities-Memphis) 14 22.95%
North Carolina (Winston Salem-Greensboro-Wilmington) 24 39.34%
South Carolina (Greenville-Spartanburg-Columbia-Myrtle Beach 19 31.15%
Georgia (Augusta, Columbus, Macon, Savannah) 22 36.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 01:01 PM

327 posts, read 222,192 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Florida many years ago, most people exiting the state primarily relocated to Georgia or the Carolinas. However, over the past 5-10 years, it seems as if most ex-Floridians are casting a wider net and migrating to Tennessee, Colorado, Texas, Arizona and Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 01:12 PM

16,076 posts, read 10,735,467 times
My Midwest relatives moved to Florida to be close to in-laws but stayed only five years before moving back. The in-laws later moved to Georgia.

Old 01-02-2023, 01:31 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
When I lived in Florida many years ago, most people exiting the state primarily relocated to Georgia or the Carolinas. However, over the past 5-10 years, it seems as if most ex-Floridians are casting a wider net and migrating to Tennessee, Colorado, Texas, Arizona and Kentucky.
My parents who moved down there I think briefly considered a relocation for further downsizing in South Carolina which is why I think they went up to Greenville and then also visited Charleston and Savannah on the way back. I’m not going to shade Greenville because I’m sure it’s a nice community but I don’t see why my parents would ever visit there otherwise. It’s far inland and my parents are not mountain folk, they are beach people. They did say Greenville was very nice though with a cool waterfall downtown. But it did perplex me that they even visited Greenville to begin with. Halfback for them would be moving to Texas, which I can never see them doing, so they would not be that at least.

They are currently in the process of remodeling all of their bathrooms and kitchen so unless they are stuffing that baby for resale on the market then I think they decided against it. Florida is pretty expensive these days which was probably the sole reason they at least weighed the option. My brother also lives there now too so they have a more vested interest in staying. Though if they did go through with South Carolina, they would be closer to me.

Though I suspect most Florida exodus is not old folk but actually brain drain from younger people still in their careers. Florida is notoriously low wage and high COL with hurricanes and all. Can get much more bang for your resume getting out of the sunshine tax and moving to one of the big cities further north (of Florida).

I mean one of the reasons I moved to Atlanta is I wanted a big city that provided more opportunity, of which Atlanta does compared to my hometown of Phoenix. Atlanta has a stronger economy than Miami even, not too mention there are other cities in the US with stronger economies than Atlanta. Some of them, if not nearly all of them, are also STILL going to be cheaper than Miami with more opportunity for growth to boot. Miami is I think only cheaper than maybe Manhattan and Honolulu these days.

Old 01-03-2023, 06:28 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,952 times
Pretty much the other south Atlantic states.

Old 01-12-2023, 05:42 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,386,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I voted for South Carolina as it’s an underrated state. Greenville and Charleston are both great in their own ways, but upstate SC is very affordable and really a beautiful place. Check out Table Rock State Park and see if you don’t agree.
Agree, SC has lots of untapped potential. I always wondered why it is not that "discovered" .

Old 01-12-2023, 07:34 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
I hesitated to vote for Tennessee because of Memphis. Replace Memphis with Cookeville-Crossville and you've got it. And Knoxville definitely should be in there. Essentially Nashville-Knoxville-Cookeville/Crossville-Tri Cities-Chattanooga, probably in that order. Memphis is almost always on the losing end of in/out-migration.
Yeah, agreed.

Memphis is not a top destination for most folks in general, and those moving up from Florida most likely would not choose to land in the Memphis area, unless a job directs them there.

Top Tennessee choices would be the Nashville metro area, Clarksville, Cookeville/Crossville, Knoxville/Maryville/Oak Ridge, Sevier County, Tri-cities region and the Chattanooga region for sure.

Memphis is slowly improving and gentrifying, but slow is the key word, and it is always trying to fight against its image as a crime city.

Old 01-14-2023, 09:41 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,952 times
People who leave Florida tend to move to another southern state or back north.

Old 01-15-2023, 06:31 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I voted for South Carolina as it’s an underrated state. Greenville and Charleston are both great in their own ways, but upstate SC is very affordable and really a beautiful place. Check out Table Rock State Park and see if you don’t agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Agree, SC has lots of untapped potential. I always wondered why it is not that "discovered" .
Columbia is an overlooked gem of a city also. Cultured, well-educated, affordable, tons of outdoor recreation in/around the city, a vibrant downtown and entertainment district, not traffic congested, moderate weather and nice people.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:42 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,649 times
It's a tough one. initially, TN or NC. Georgia is nice but Atlanta seems to dominate the state. SC is nice too but doesn't have the mountains of NC or TN. SC also has bad roads. Greenville area looks all right, and Columbia is okay too. NC is a bit more expensive overall than the other states. But NC looks nicer in general imo, from what I've seen on google street view. With TN, I'd prefer Knoxville or Chattanooga over the tri region or Memphis. Alabama is the cheapest of them likely, they got medical weed at least. I'd prefer to live along or north of the fall line since it's hillier and cooler.

Old 01-17-2023, 02:40 PM

4,397 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Is there a reason you avoided listing the best cities in each of these states?

Edit: NM didn't see the bottom part. If avoiding population growth is your concern. I would go somewhere colder like parts of rural New England would be my choice. Of those groupings I would take the SC cities. Greenville is a nice area but it's certainly growing.

Last edited by Turnerbro; 01-17-2023 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.