Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 04:21 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Gotcha. Would you say Corpus Christi is slightly more tolerable heat wise than the Houston area? It seems to cool down better at night at least when I visited.
Ooh man. I’m familiar with both. I’d say both are intolerable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 02:02 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,109,717 times
Quote:
I think OP might like Portland, Oregon.
Portland would be a great choice. It also has more than a dozen colleges and universities in the metro area, plus three different community college systems that offer an inexpensive way to the first couple years of school or vocational/apprentice programs. Plenty of lush green, rivers beaches and parks, ocean within a couple hours, mountains a bit closer. Salem, Corvallis and Eugene would be other moderate sized cities in the Willamette River Valley.

Old 01-04-2023, 02:07 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,174,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Portland would be a great choice. It also has more than a dozen colleges and universities in the metro area, plus three different community college systems that offer an inexpensive way to the first couple years of school or vocational/apprentice programs. Plenty of lush green, rivers beaches and parks, ocean within a couple hours, mountains a bit closer. Salem, Corvallis and Eugene would be other moderate sized cities in the Willamette River Valley.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but the insects of the PNW seem less 'bitey' to me compared to similarly lush areas in the eastern parts of the country.

Old 01-04-2023, 03:54 PM

1,320 posts, read 868,789 times
Quote:
And correct me if I'm wrong, but the insects of the PNW seem less 'bitey' to me compared to similarly lush areas in the eastern parts of the country.
Yeah having lived in both regions, the insects in the eastern half of the country are much worse. There are generally very few mosquitoes in most of the PNW, they’re only bad in the high elevation lakes for a couple weeks around late spring. Some years, like last year, when spring is particularly wet, the lowlands can get some pretty bad mosquitoes with all the standing water, though that’s not super common.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:15 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Yeah having lived in both regions, the insects in the eastern half of the country are much worse. There are generally very few mosquitoes in most of the PNW, they’re only bad in the high elevation lakes for a couple weeks around late spring. Some years, like last year, when spring is particularly wet, the lowlands can get some pretty bad mosquitoes with all the standing water, though that’s not super common.
Yep, in my six years in Western WA, I think I’ve gotten perhaps one or two mosquito bites. Never seen a tick, not once, not in the city, burbs or backcountry. No chiggers, fire ants, etc. Never seen a cockroach here or really any insect much larger than a quarter. Bugs are just not an issue and we also don’t really have any venomous creatures to speak of either. Western rattlers are here but again, never seen one and I’ve trekked hundreds of miles on the backcountry. Probably more prevalent in eastern WA.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:27 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
I think Buffalo would be great. It has great summer weather though the winters are cold (learn to dress for them and you'll be fine). It's sizable and has some pretty decent colleges if you're interested and you can apply for some pretty sizable scholarships pretty soon after establishing residency. It's pretty cheap, has a walkable core that's pretty fun, a sizable base of progressive organizations, and is sizable enough to have a bit of everything but without being massive. It has an airport that has decent service and you can take a train or drive to much larger Toronto and even to NYC further out. Part of the city fronts a pretty great lake and is close to another one (and some impressive waterfalls in that transition).

Old 01-05-2023, 03:30 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,109,717 times
Quote:
I grew up in a Portland suburb, and as a boy scout camped all over the Cascade and Coastal Mountain Ranges. I never saw a tick until I moved to far Eastern Oregon after college. The Willamette Valley does have an abundance of fleas if you are a pet owner, and some spring/summer mosquitoes, but that's pretty much it for biting insects. Plus, no cockroaches!! Plenty of spiders though, but not poisonous ones. Never saw a black widow until moving to out of Oregon.

Old 01-05-2023, 07:06 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
New Haven, CT
Providence, RI
Hartford, CT
New Haven and Hartford are great places to live. None of the hassles of big cities but many of the amenities. Plus you are not far from Boston and New York City so you can take advantage of what they offer as well. Jay

Old 01-06-2023, 01:20 AM

53 posts, read 42,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Olympia gets 12-18 inches of snow on average per year. Seattle and Tacoma are usually lower. North of Seattle will usually be Olympia range or higher. Exact location matters. Least snow in the lowest spots right on the water. Occasional big storms, usually will be at least one in a few years.

Snow preference, if essential, eliminates the entire upper midwest.

Raleigh NC averages 4 inches of snow. Richmond VA , 11. Columbia MO, 16. Athens, GA averages 1. Lexington KY, 10. Newark, Delaware, 13.

Plenty of college towns in Florida. Not sure how many are progressive or progressive enough for you. Culture and voting are not always exactly aligned and parts of cities can vary.

Fayetteville AR is fairly progressive in a state that is not.

Live independently for 1-2 years and meet other residency requirements (voting, car and driver registration, a job) in many states and you might qualify for in state tuition. If you give them no basis to reject you, it should work out. Any basis for doubt they could reject the request.
No, Fayetteville, AR is not progressive. Far from it. It went for Trump in 2016 and 2020. if wanting to go progressive in that general part of the country, then make it Lawrence, KS for sure!

Old 01-06-2023, 08:24 AM

8,501 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Washington County by itself reportedly went for Trump in 2020 by a margin of less than 4 percentage points. For the whole metro area it was 20 points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.