Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2023, 06:25 AM

372 posts, read 205,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
*sigh* Here...

Any questions?
Thank you. No questions, this IS the Midwest. Not sure why people feel their definition, if different, is better. It is what it is, people, and this is it.

Old 01-21-2023, 06:27 AM

7,273 posts, read 10,620,743 times
Let's put it this way: if your area at all contains any kind of Appalachian topography, it's absolutely NOT the Midwest.

Sorry, folks. But topography is a HUGE delineator here, culturally and aesthetically, from the actual Midwest.

Old 01-21-2023, 06:45 AM

17,356 posts, read 11,319,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
*sigh* Here...

Any questions?
Thank you! Your map agrees with the U.S. census map as well. This isn't rocket science people, lol. And it's not about what you "feel".

Old 01-21-2023, 07:12 AM

1,357 posts, read 891,132 times
Well the western halves of the Dakotas, Kansas, and Nebraska are more western than midwestern. And MD and Delaware being southern is debatable. The way the census labels these states is debatable and isn't the end all be all.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:20 AM

17,356 posts, read 11,319,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Well the western halves of the Dakotas, Kansas, and Nebraska are more western than midwestern. And MD and Delaware being southern is debatable. The way the census labels these states is debatable and isn't the end all be all.
The U.S. census map is all about location. Not about feelings or accents or who moved where the latest trends.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The U.S. census map is all about location. Not about feelings or accents or who moved where the latest trends.
And it's debatable either way. Culture and geography don't follow state lines. El Paso TX is not a southern city.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
And it's debatable either way. Culture and geography don't follow state lines. El Paso TX is not a southern city.
As it's been discussed on this thread, culture is a LOT more subjective as a factor in determining common regions. No two people will describe an area's culture in exactly the same fashion, especially if that area spans across several states.

Location/geography is the only factor that's not subjective and cannot be debated for this topic.

Old 01-21-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
As it's been discussed on this thread, culture is a LOT more subjective as a factor in determining common regions. No two people will describe an area's culture in exactly the same fashion, especially if that area spans across several states.

Location/geography is the only factor that's not subjective and cannot be debated for this topic.
There isn't a definite characteristic that defines a region though. "Midwest" isn't a location. As I said before, the western halves of the plains states are geographically and culturally more similar to the western states than the rest of the midwest. Do you consider El Paso a southern city? And why should culture not be considered? The whole point of this thread is to get different opinions and perspectives based on a variety of factors. Anyone can just look up what the census considers midwest. Southern MO is southern culturally and geographically but because it's in a Midwestern state, it's midwestern?

Last edited by Kaszilla; 01-21-2023 at 08:21 AM..

Old 01-21-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
"Midwest" isn't a location.
Fundamentally, it is, though. Subregions of the US were not conceived because of common culture. They were conceived because of common geography.

Discussions of "culture" are much more recent, and as I noted above, not universally agreed upon. You and I cannot disagree about the literal location of Indiana. There's no room for debate about that.

Quote:
As I said before, the western halves of the plains states are geographically and culturally more similar to the western states than the rest of the midwest. Do you consider El Paso a southern city? And why should culture not be considered?
We're talking around an open question, though. There's no universally accepted definition of "Midwestern culture" or "Western culture."

I will agree with you, however, that there are some common geographic attributes that separate regions (I made that point upthread about Appalachian topography), which is why a state like Ohio is actually the true Eastern to Midwestern transition state.

Likewise, I'm willing to accept that there's more nuanced regional identity on the western edge of the Midwest, too, due to the geography in the Western portions of Nebraska, Kansas, or the Dakotas.

Old 01-21-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Fundamentally, it is, though. Subregions of the US were not conceived because of common culture. They were conceived because of common geography.

Discussions of "culture" are much more recent, and as I noted above, not universally agreed upon. You and I cannot disagree about the literal location of Indiana. There's no room for debate about that.

We're talking around an open question, though. There's no universally accepted definition of "Midwestern culture" or "Western culture."

I will agree with you, however, that there are some common geographic attributes that separate regions (I made that point upthread about Appalachian topography), which is why a state like Ohio is actually the true Eastern to Midwestern transition state.

Likewise, I'm willing to accept that there's more nuanced regional identity on the western edge of the Midwest, too, due to the geography in the Western portions of Nebraska, Kansas, or the Dakotas.
What I meant is that "midwest" isn't a directional marker. it's a relatively new region that the government came up with. You can drive north, south, east, and west. You can't drive "midwest". There are many factors that can be debated regarding what regions belong where. It's not as cut and dry as "The census says so so that's it". But yes, you can argue that Ohio is a transitional state. It still is also a northern state as well. It's interesting that the south spans from Delaware to TX but the northeast and Midwest are classed as 2 distinct regions despite most of these states being technically northern. In Minnesota, we just say we're northern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.