Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2023, 06:39 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,605,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I was referring to the Midwest. Don’t get your mid Atlantic comparison. What does an “eastern” thing mean?
I'm saying that humidity is widespread east of the plains states, but it's not necessarily a demarcator for the Midwest, since there's no distinction with the East Coast.

Old 01-23-2023, 10:16 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
Here is a map created online that does not use state borders to judge (most of the time) and I think could be a good definition for showing what is Midwest or not. Subregions are also included.
*Gasps* DC in the northeast? The horror.

Old 01-23-2023, 05:51 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
Mid-Atlantic is the proper term for DC. Though some southerners consider it in the Northeast which I would argue is not correct.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:08 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
And I don't see why Appalachia is always grouped as it's own region. North Georgia and Alabama is not the same as Pennsylvania.
Anything to put western Pennsylvania in a region other than the Northeast, it seems, even if it means ignoring the differences between the northern and southern Appalachians. It's north of the Mason-Dixon Line, and it's closer to the 75th meridian than the 90th. People just like to pretend that it's farther south or farther west than it actually is.

Also, any map illustrating the Appalachians that leaves out the southern tier of upstate New York is fundamentally faulty. For that matter, geologically speaking, the Adirondack Mountains are the only part of the mountainous Northeast that's not Appalachian, since the Adirondacks are an eastward extension of the Canadian Shield.

And if people are trying to draw the Appalachians as a cultural region rather than a geographic region, well, New England has plenty of what Pennsylvania gets singled out for, so there's no reason to separate them out.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:50 PM

824 posts, read 714,362 times
I generally feel like the census boundaries are overall the best boundary, but culturally…infrastructure wise etc. I’d say that the core Midwest stretches from around Omaha/Fargo/Kansas City to about Columbus or so.

I feel like there are several gray areas like the Great Plains, Southern Missouri, parts of Oklahoma and then the eastern portion of the Great Lakes like Northeast Ohio and around Buffalo, and then down to Pittsburgh. All feel kinda grey regionally.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:21 PM

It is generally based on county population. But what we see today is advancing population outside of this restrictive boundary. The new map will include those off the grid and within the general metro area. These outer urban areas should be included.

Old 01-25-2023, 10:37 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,607,911 times
The frontier density levels for rural counties is marching eastward to the Midwest from the Great Plains. So we are now starting to hit a critical threshold of the emptying out of the Corn Belt counties.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:38 PM

I think that is correct, but I wouldn’t count this region out due to continued agricultural production. But I agree places like Wichita, Salina, many Nebraska cities are in the line of fire. Agriculture is changing, and geography may not save them.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:17 PM

2,375 posts, read 1,859,016 times
Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota. Get the easy ones out of the way.

Eastern Kansas, Eastern Nebraska

South Dakota is not the midwest. North Dakota is somehow a little more midwestern to me. Not midwest as a state but Fargo and Grand Forks sound like the midwest. Oklahoma is not really in the midwest but not really in the south either. It's more southern than midwest though it does have a midwest flair to it.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:31 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota. Get the easy ones out of the way.

Eastern Kansas, Eastern Nebraska

South Dakota is not the midwest. North Dakota is somehow a little more midwestern to me. Not midwest as a state but Fargo and Grand Forks sound like the midwest. Oklahoma is not really in the midwest but not really in the south either. It's more southern than midwest though it does have a midwest flair to it.
Of all the states, when it comes to classification, Oklahoma, to me, is one of the most problematic. It's tough to shoehorn parts of the state into any region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.