Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 2,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As someone with similar criteria I have some suggestions I feel would work well for you. If you can get past the two-hour drive to a major airport Asheville NC is a great option. It's pretty much disaster-free and has a national caliber food scene.

While a bit more pricey, Boulder CO is another possibility.
Do you know if I’d have to encounter roaches living in Asheville? I have an actual phobia. It’s awful. Idk if it’s warm enough there where it’d automatically be an issue like it would be in more southern states…?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 11:27 AM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
There are usually some trails / hiking areas less traveled even in popular areas if you consciously select them over the most popular.

Other possibilities include Corvalis OR, Woodinville WA.

Maybe Kingston NY, Lebanon NH or Springfield MA. Liberal but not very liberal, at least overall. Probably very liberal neighborhoods / parts of town.

Never heard of them til 2 minutes ago but Finchburg / Leominister MA are liberal voting, decently close to Boston and natural areas. Anybody know them?

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-29-2023 at 11:54 AM..

Old 01-29-2023, 11:39 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movinaround12 View Post
Do you know if I’d have to encounter roaches living in Asheville? I have an actual phobia. It’s awful. Idk if it’s warm enough there where it’d automatically be an issue like it would be in more southern states…?
They aren't around in higher elevations in NC like Asheville (or in VA either), too dry and/or cold I guess. Asheville's official elevation is 2100 feet but there are areas of the city that sit at 3500 feet and on up to around 4000+ feet.

Old 01-29-2023, 11:52 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As someone with similar criteria I have some suggestions I feel would work well for you. If you can get past the two-hour drive to a major airport Asheville NC is a great option. It's pretty much disaster-free and has a national caliber food scene.

While a bit more pricey, Boulder CO is another possibility.
Boulder is close to Denver and incredibly expensive. Heck, I'd consider Boulder a part of Denver.

Old 01-29-2023, 12:40 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,291,397 times
Colorado Springs would be a good fit, but I’m not sure what their politics are like.

Old 01-29-2023, 12:49 PM

Colorado Springs is not as politically conservative as it was 20-30 years ago. 43% in El Paso County voted Democratic in 2020 Presidential election.

There are still prominent religious conservative groups in area but only 35% of adults self-identified as religiously affiliated in the leading national religious survey. Though "in" / not in May be too sharp a distinction. Projections are that self-identified "Christian" will become a minority nationally in next few decades to "none".

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-29-2023 at 12:57 PM..

Old 01-29-2023, 01:05 PM

1,070 posts, read 789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Colorado Springs is not as politically conservative as it was 20-30 years ago. 43% in El Paso County voted Democratic in 2020 Presidential election.

There are still prominent religious conservative groups in area but only 35% of adults self-identified as religiously affiliated in the leading national religious survey. Though "in" / not in May be too sharp a distinction. Projections are that self-identified "Christian" will become a minority nationally in next few decades to "none".

Just FYI, Christian doesn't necessarily mean politically conservative.

Old 01-29-2023, 01:11 PM

No for individuals; but on average it is does relative to not Christian.

Old 01-29-2023, 01:48 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
If they're looking for liberal, Colorado Springs is NOT a fit, even if it's "not as overrun with Christian fundamentalists as it used to be." If you honestly believe that, you haven't heard of Andrew Wommack and his Seven Mountains dominionist (Christian fascist) cult compound in Woodland Park. They believe in revolution - violent if necessary - to replace our current legal system with biblical (aka "Christian" sharia) law. They're actively trying to take over school boards in and around the Springs.

Denver, Golden, or Boulder are ok fits, but hiking trails around here get crowded in the summer.

Old 01-29-2023, 03:07 PM

Imo of course Colorado Springs is not a particularly good target for the OP; but since CS and its politics came up, I gave a brief response about the political climate there to my outsider understanding from a couple hours away fwiw to that aside.

I know the basic story on Wommack and it is part of the reason I did not pursue my possible interest in Woodland Park in past. I am briefly aware of school board fights in the general area. A local would know more. But my general impression is that the right and extreme right is not as powerful there as they were in the past in CS politics. The intensity of the most zealous and their number in the whole are 2 different things, both being important. Probably not relevant to discuss further here but perhaps it is in some existing or future CO forum thread.

If the OP considered the CS area, it should be Manitou Springs.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-29-2023 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.