Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 01:40 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times

Advertisements

I wonder what the leaf out time is for San Diego? In southern New Mexico on cottonwood trees it's about the beginning of December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 05:10 PM

1,348 posts, read 878,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
So weird to me how trees can survive and thrive when they are dormant and lifeless for nearly 2/3 of the year.

Life in cold climates is so bizarre to me.
Minneapolis is warm to hot for about 5 to 6 months out of the year

Old 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM

42 posts, read 41,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I wonder what the leaf out time is for San Diego? In southern New Mexico on cottonwood trees it's about the beginning of December.
I do recall seeing bare trees in March, probably by April they leaf out.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:09 PM

42 posts, read 41,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
So weird to me how trees can survive and thrive when they are dormant and lifeless for nearly 2/3 of the year.

Life in cold climates is so bizarre to me.
Where I live, I think the leaf/green season is pretty short, and those climates are even worse. 2 weeks of fall colors surely isn't worth it for a brown landscape for that covers the majority of the year.

Old 02-09-2023, 07:19 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Bradford Pear and Dogwoods have been awakening around Dallas which is not unheard of during the Winter months. As for the OP... Dallas does get green earlier than Atlanta on average, so showing them starting at the same time doesn't seem accurate.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:27 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
California is odd because it's so dependent on tree species, and many neighborhoods have evergreen palms, live oaks, eucalyptus etc that never lose their leaves. Many Bay Area deciduous trees are flowering now, and will be leafed out by early March.

In the East Coast, my experience was Connecticut, RI, and Eastern Mass are usually around May 15-20, DC around April 20-25. Suburbs in both areas usually trail urban areas by a week. I once flew from DC to Boston in early April and Washington was covered with flowering trees while Boston only had a few small buds out at best, not to mention a few patchy brown snow piles. On another occasion, I drove from Chicago to DC in early April and there wasn't a bud in sight until east of Pittsburgh, and around Frederick, MD there was a sudden explosion of buds and flowers.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:12 PM

37 posts, read 20,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
California is odd because it's so dependent on tree species, and many neighborhoods have evergreen palms, live oaks, eucalyptus etc that never lose their leaves. Many Bay Area deciduous trees are flowering now, and will be leafed out by early March.

In the East Coast, my experience was Connecticut, RI, and Eastern Mass are usually around May 15-20, DC around April 20-25. Suburbs in both areas usually trail urban areas by a week. I once flew from DC to Boston in early April and Washington was covered with flowering trees while Boston only had a few small buds out at best, not to mention a few patchy brown snow piles. On another occasion, I drove from Chicago to DC in early April and there wasn't a bud in sight until east of Pittsburgh, and around Frederick, MD there was a sudden explosion of buds and flowers.
Yeah, there's about a 2 week gap between them blooming.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:11 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,059,103 times
Duluth, Minnesota /Superior, Wisconsin

Has to the latest leaf out /green time in the lower 48 ...
I was there in late May ....no leaves yet....cold springs up there.

Old 02-13-2023, 11:58 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Duluth, Minnesota /Superior, Wisconsin

Has to the latest leaf out /green time in the lower 48 ...
I was there in late May ....no leaves yet....cold springs up there.
My wedding date is May 25th. Got married in the suburbs of Minneapolis. Fully green, almost summer.

Honeymoon, May 26th, drove to Duluth and the North Shore. Bare trees all over Duluth still. It was actually greener further north in Gooseberry Falls but it was that fresh spring greenery we usually get in early May in Minneapolis.

Old 02-13-2023, 01:58 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
I was in the Smoky Mountains one year in early April. The fresh, light green leaves of early spring were everywhere.

One day we drove up to the top of Clingman's Dome which is the highest point in Tennessee. As we were gaining altitude, the trees got progressively more barren. It still looked like winter at the top, and the only green was from the few evergreens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.