Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 06:18 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times

Advertisements

The Flaming Lips, one of my favorite bands, are from OKC. Wayne Coyne used to remark how out of place he felt in his hometown. I don't believe he ever relocated, however (though much of his time is/has been spent on the road)

To mike, calling out my 'lazy' analysis--although I partially agree, the correlation between voting figures in a strongly partisan/polarized national election and how one would vote in a local election is almost assuredly very strong. It is a reality of our current political climate that people rarely vote across the ballot anymore. There were decent numbers of 'Never Trump' Republicans in places like Utah but that was something of an exception on the national level
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 06:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
The Flaming Lips, one of my favorite bands, are from OKC.
Love The Flaming Lips – always thought it was bizarre they were from Oklahoma City.

Old 02-16-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Love The Flaming Lips – always thought it was bizarre they were from Oklahoma City.
Anywhere in Oklahoma would've been 10000:1 if oddsmakers were soliciting bets from a bunch of people who didn't know where they were from. California would've been 1:1. I saw them in the Buffalo area in mid-September at the end of a weekend-long music festival, and it was fun to watch people's varying reactions...they were not very well-received by people who'd been there for the duration of the weekend and didn't know anything about them. I on the other hand turned up on Sunday night just to see them....

Old 02-16-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehousecheddar View Post
Yeah, maybe those swaths of south Brooklyn that are still White are kind of the last areas with a native conservative population in a truly urban setting. Parts of far south Philly too maybe. Though they’ll be gone in a generation
Guarantee you can find some small urban Rust Belt areas that voted Obama in 2012 but Trump in 2016/2020. Probably a decent number of Trump-supporting blue-collar Dems in those municipalities, though. Some Ohio counties flipped massively between 2012 and 2016; there's a great book called 'Barnstorming Ohio' that investigates this a bit in certain chapters (much of the book is apolitical or at least borderline-apolitical, as it's more of a cultural analysis than anything)

Old 02-16-2023, 07:21 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I think this might be the best answer, overall.

Oklahoma City is probably the most right leaning city and metro in the US, but I could be incorrect.

I also think Jacksonville, FL is way up there.
It's not, old stereotypes die hard I suppose. Jacksonville is among the fastest growing cities and not via relocated bible thumpers or fiscal conservatives.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:22 PM

824 posts, read 711,480 times
Cincinnati’s metro area is relatively red/conservative but the city itself is deep blue so I don’t know how much that counts.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:23 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehousecheddar View Post
Yeah, maybe those swaths of south Brooklyn that are still White are kind of the last areas with a native conservative population in a truly urban setting. Parts of far south Philly too maybe. Though they’ll be gone in a generation
There are spots in Chicago too. Canaryville and Mt. Greenwood are known for being majority white, distrustful of outsiders, and primarily R voting. Same with the inner-ring west suburb of Elmwood Park. All are close to or over 10,000 ppsm.

I'd be hard-pressed to think of any urban neighborhoods on the West Coast like that. There may be areas in Spokane that could fit (the city is 87% white).

Old 02-16-2023, 07:27 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Tulsa

Old 02-16-2023, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
There are spots in Chicago too. Canaryville and Mt. Greenwood are known for being majority white, distrustful of outsiders, and primarily R voting. Same with the inner-ring west suburb of Elmwood Park. All are close to or over 10,000 ppsm.

I'd be hard-pressed to think of any urban neighborhoods on the West Coast like that. There may be areas in Spokane that could fit (the city is 87% white).
I wonder if that has any correlation with where Polish people tend to live in Chicago. I'm personally pretty far left, majority Polish, and have noted that people of my predominant ethnic group skew right. Anecdotal but I don't think it's an errant observation! I have a much smaller sample size for Hungarians but have made roughly the same observations there. It's not like there's a Cuban phenomenon at play here where you have selection bias, ie a self-selecting group of people who've fled a Communist regime and are obviously likely to flock to the other political pole....

Old 02-16-2023, 09:16 PM

53 posts, read 42,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QRGANIC View Post
Have been to OKC, BLM signs aren't out of place at all, I would say.

However, rainbow flags would absolutely be out of place in OKC, and I think they're the clear answer here.
Rainbow flags certainly wouldn't be out of place in OKC's gay district, which is well anchored by the nation's largest gay hotel, the District Hotel, formerly the Habana Inn. One of Oklahoma City's council members is gay and recently got the main street of the district totally redone and repaved streets around the hotel.

Someone mentioned Tulsa. Yes, it's definitely more strongly conservative and also more Christian than OKC. Republican state legislators from Tulsa area are even further to the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.